Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 20" Induction Wheels... For $6K extra? NSW Stamp Duty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y on order and just added both the white interior and 20" induction wheels as I love the look.

But in NSW, this combination puts you over the stamp duty exemption and adds $3K extra to the order price. So removing the 20" wheels reduces the purchase price by ~$6K (plus interest).

Is it worth it? Or is there a suitable lookalike out there I could get instead and put that extra cash towards PPF? I like these from Replika but haven't found anything similar in Australia.

Hi Jack,

Why buy larger rims that give you a higher chance of pinch flats on potholes and a rougher ride and take you over the stamp duty threshold and are less efficient?

Just my opinion from quite a long experience in these matters. Got the standard 19" for my Model Y and wish there was a least 18" option from Tesla for better ride quality and hopefully a better chance at not getting damage to tyres and rims on our roads. Looks aren't everything I think and in some cases are quite impractical.

Regards.

Hi Jack,

Why buy larger rims that give you a higher chance of pinch flats on potholes and a rougher ride and take you over the stamp duty threshold and are less efficient?

Just my opinion from quite a long experience in these matters. Got the standard 19" for my Model Y and wish there was a least 18" option from Tesla for better ride quality and hopefully a better chance at not getting damage to tyres and rims on our roads. Looks aren't everything I think and in some cases are quite impractical.

Regards.

Totally agree that looks aren't everything, and everyone values things differently. For me, spending this amount of money on a vehicle, I do place a higher value on looks.

But at the same time, also value the other considerations you have pointed out.

My preference would be to get the 19" wheels and find a lookalike replacement similar to the induction rims.

Reactions: Maximillan
I got these and very happy (had to ask Tessories to send out the foam strips after they didn’t come initially). Looks far better than the Geminis. I wasn’t keen on the Inductions given what I read about potential even rougher ride.

Totally agree that looks aren't everything, and everyone values things differently. For me, spending this amount of money on a vehicle, I do place a higher value on looks.

But at the same time, also value the other considerations you have pointed out.

My preference would be to get the 19" wheels and find a lookalike replacement similar to the induction rims.
Order the car with 19s and if you still want 20s or 21s it won’t be too difficult to organise a straight swap or swap plus a few hundred dollars.

SA talked me out of wheel upgrade and told me where to go for wheel covers to hide the Gemini situation 😂

It's definitely not worth going into stamp-duty territory.
I recommend pick one of the below haha

A} Wheels
B } Paint [and] Interior.

I have a Model Y on order and just added both the white interior and 20" induction wheels as I love the look.

But in NSW, this combination puts you over the stamp duty exemption and adds $3K extra to the order price. So removing the 20" wheels reduces the purchase price by ~$6K (plus interest). Is it worth it?

Just note that in NSW if you buy an EV that is subject to stamp duty, it will be exempt from the Road Usage Charge (RUC) due to come into effect in 2027, for as long as you remain the owner.

So if you plan to own the car for more than about 6 years (and depending on how much driving you do), you are better off paying the stamp duty.

After the RUC comes into effect, all EVs sold in NSW will be exempt from paying stamp duty, regardless of sale price.