Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2020 vs 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

This is another first world question... I have a July 2020 Y. I missed out on all the new features, starting with orange turn signal lights and everything else since then (like I said, first world problems). Given the resale price of second hand Ys, I ordered a new model Y and it's almost ready (I treated it like buying an option, it was only $100 to play) the it's a 2020 for Nov delivery. The bet looks like it paid off as I can pretty much sell my 2020 Y for same price as the new Y (especially since I ordered it before all the price increases).

My question is, am I better off with a 2020 Y with the radar and original processors/chips, or will the new Y without radar and possibly alternative chips be just as good? I don't have FSD, but use AP a lot. I may opt for FSD in the future... Is Tesla going to disable use of the radar in the future on all models? Obviously I'm 95% sure I'll take the new one, but just in case someone else has another point of view... I'm a bit embarrassed to even ask, but since there are so many other dumb questions, I thought why not? :)

M

If you can wait, why not wait when Berlin and Texas go live along with new the 4860 battery?

But I get it lol, I missed out some stuff when I got my early built 2021 model 3. The new feature add on mindset of FOMO sucks lol.

Well the decision is selling at the minimum difference between new car price and sale of old model. I think I’m at the sweet spot and waiting will either lead to lower selling price or higher cost of new car or both. But I want to ensure the technology is on par or better.

...new Y without radar and possibly alternative chips be just as good?...

Current radarless is still not catching up (parity) with active-radar Tesla cars just yet.

...Is Tesla going to disable use of the radar in the future on all models?...
That's the plan. All will be converted to pure vision and any physical radar will become inactive.

I suspect when radarless will achieve parity with radar, that's when all fleet conversion will happen.

Reactions: MackleMonster
I’m in the exact same boat. I have a 2020 MY Long Range. I ordered the same exact car I have (Red MY Long Range with Black Interior and 19” Gemini Wheels) at the end of July just so I’d have the option of upgrading. I mostly did it for the upgraded windows, wipers, heated steering wheel, 1 piece rear casting, 82 kw battery, auto dimming side mirrors, new center console, and bio weapon defense mode. Lots of upgrades. I locked in pricing that is $4,000 more than I paid in September 2020. Not bad consudering how much more it’s gone up since then. I also got $5000 back from NJ and there’s no sales tax in Jersey either. I also added FSD and Acceleration boost post vehicle purchase. I’m not sure where to sell where I’d get my money back. I’ve also done front PPF and Ceramic Coating and some tints. Currently I’m all in for $62,000 with all my upgrades and extras. My new car would be a 2022 with all the upgrades I noted. It would cost me $58,000 but wouldn’t have FSD, Acceleration Boost, tinting, PPF or Ceramic Coating. If I were to get it to be the exact vehicle I have with all the upgrades and mods it would cost me $74,000 all in. My current car is 100% paid off so I’d be looking at a loan to get everything I wanted after selling my current one. There is not any NJ or Federal incentives, the Federal one would be a tax credit not point of sale in 2022. Not sure it makes great financial sense. What do you guys think?

Should think about getting Performance if you're going to get Boost again. These days the difference is $5K, but if you're going to order Boost the difference is only $3K and for that you get nicer looking wheels/tires (though more impractical), faster car, better brakes with red calipers, spoiler, performance pedals. Of course you also have a lowered vehicle (some like, some don't), and tires unusable in winter that wear faster. You can sell those Uberturbines for $2-$3K though and buy someone's takeoff Geminis or Inductions. I bought the 20" Induction wheels/tires for $2,000 from someone on FB, and just swapped them onto my Performance Y today to use until Spring when I'll swap back on the Uberturbines. Or, I might sell the Uberturbines if I like the Inductions enough.

One thing to factor into your financial analysis is exit cost. Some of your new outlay will theoretically be cancelled out by being able to sell the 2022 Model at a premium to the 2020 Model in the future. If in 5 years the 2022 is worth $5K more than the 2020, you have "recovered" $5K of today's extra cash outlay (if you sell to realize those "gains").

Should think about getting Performance if you're going to get Boost again. These days the difference is $5K, but if you're going to order Boost the difference is only $3K and for that you get nicer looking wheels/tires (though more impractical), faster car, better brakes with red calipers, spoiler, performance pedals. Of course you also have a lowered vehicle (some like, some don't), and tires unusable in winter that wear faster. You can sell those Uberturbines for $2-$3K though and buy someone's takeoff Geminis or Inductions. I bought the 20" Induction wheels/tires for $2,000 from someone on FB, and just swapped them onto my Performance Y today to use until Spring when I'll swap back on the Uberturbines. Or, I might sell the Uberturbines if I like the Inductions enough.

One thing to factor into your financial analysis is exit cost. Some of your new outlay will theoretically be cancelled out by being able to sell the 2022 Model at a premium to the 2020 Model in the future. If in 5 years the 2022 is worth $5K more than the 2020, you have "recovered" $5K of today's extra cash outlay (if you sell to realize those "gains").
I don’t know if I’m going to get the Acceleration Boost again. I also want the rude and tires of the Long Range. I just got my new VIN so I’m in the process of seeing what the best price I can get for my 2020 and then determine if it’s worth it to upgrade. I’m excited.

Reactions: Ladybugn