Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2021 Cargo box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for ideas on which cargo box to put on my 2021 Y. I had purchased one from REI but I had to return it because the clamps were about an inch or 2 too short.
I contacted REI for help back in May 2021 & after a few email exchanges, they said I would be contacted by the FIT team. Five months have passed & sit no cargo box.
The box that almost fit was the Yakima SkyBox 16 Carbonite Cargo Roof Box I'm not looking to carry skis or snowboards just cargo stuff.

I had the same experience of the Skybox 16 not clamping properly, The clamping arms being shaped like a crab's claw won't close all the way due to the width of the roof rack (crossbars). REI knows this is an issue with Tesla Y OEM roof rack. I'm waiting for my Inno Box 320 to arrive from etrailer. It is much smaller (9 cu and flatter) than the skybox16 so I can drive in and out of my garage without having to remove it every time.

85779A4B-A0E0-42D8-8480-6BB0C1E5EB43.jpeg
Yakima Skybox 16 on Tesla racks by Yakima.

9055DC02-3E54-4C52-A93C-C67047A91CF9.jpeg

I finally received a call back from an REI FIT team member & he gave me a lot of reasons why it didn't fit, and no real help. I went to the REI store & was told the skybox 16 & 18 was going to fix my Y so I'm going to order the Skybox 18 hopefully that may be a better fit.

Do you think this longer box will interfere with the forward camera operations?

Last edited:
Reactions: GeezerSquid
I finally received a call back from an REI FIT team member & he gave me a lot of reasons why it didn't fit, and no real help. I went to the REI store & was told the skybox 16 & 18 was going to fix my Y so I'm going to order the Skybox 18 hopefully that may be a better fit.

Do you think this longer box will interfere with the forward camera operations?
Skybox 18 is only about a foot longer. Look at my posted photo with the skybox 16. That’s the position where it allows rear hatch to open fully. So it’ll overhang the front by one foot. I doubt it’ll affect the front camera as it’s looking forward, not upward.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Silly question perhaps, but instead of a cargo box, did you consider getting the ow hitch and a small (maybe even collapsible for easy storage) trailer?

Seems like mounting and dismounting the cargo box would be a bit of a bugger, whereas dropping off the trailer would be a lot easier - and you'd need to lose each of them to not hurt your range

How often will you be using the cargo box?

Silly question perhaps, but instead of a cargo box, did you consider getting the ow hitch and a small (maybe even collapsible for easy storage) trailer?

Seems like mounting and dismounting the cargo box would be a bit of a bugger, whereas dropping off the trailer would be a lot easier - and you'd need to lose each of them to not hurt your range

How often will you be using the cargo box?
Trailer is not convenient to drive around. Especially on road trips when you need to super charge. There are chargers designed to work with trailers, but very few out there.

I had the same experience of the Skybox 16 not clamping properly, The clamping arms being shaped like a crab's claw won't close all the way due to the width of the roof rack (crossbars). REI knows this is an issue with Tesla Y OEM roof rack. I'm waiting for my Inno Box 320 to arrive from etrailer. It is much smaller (9 cu and flatter) than the skybox16 so I can drive in and out of my garage without having to remove it every time.

How are you liking the Inno Box 320? I'm leaning towards getting this box because of, smaller size and near perfect load limit + weight.