Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2021 Complete Battery Failure at 18k Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I owned a 2017 Chevy Volt the Chevrolet dealer would provide me with a similar Gen2 Chevy Volt loaner vehicle whenever the Volt required service. I believe the cost of the loaner vehicle was billed to GM, this was a cooperative program involving the dealer and the manufacturer.

Our MYLR has been at the Jax FL SC since 8/20 and all we’ve heard is that the battery has been ordered but not shipped, and they have absolutely no way of knowing when it will get here. The folks there have been great overall (they did secure us a loner!), but it seems wild to me that no one at the SC can get a better timeline from Tesla on when the battery may actually be available? Are we all just thrown in a mysterious battery queue?

Our MYLR has been at the Jax FL SC since 8/20 and all we’ve heard is that the battery has been ordered but not shipped, and they have absolutely no way of knowing when it will get here. The folks there have been great overall (they did secure us a loner!), but it seems wild to me that no one at the SC can get a better timeline from Tesla on when the battery may actually be available? Are we all just thrown in a mysterious battery queue?
Yes, our situation is the same. Replacement battery ordered but no way of specifying when it will show up. Tesla has supply chain management by a toddler for service and repairs, it’s clearly not a priority to take care of existing owners.

EV Car: How many? Until Tesla decides to release numbers, we'll never know.

We DO know how many Teslas have been sold. 100s of thousands. Failure rate? Unknown.
Which manufacturer releases failures rates, let alone broken down by specific type of failure? Not defending the practice but afaik this type of data isn't shared outside company walls unless there is some legal/regulatory disclosure circumstance.

it is correct. Even Honda does provide either their loaner car, or a rental for major repair (in or out of warranty).
I've owned many Honda's and that is a highly situational statement IME. One particular dealer where we had purchased a few cars was great about a service loaner , even a few hour wait for maintenance they'd offer you a car. Another dealer closer to our house was awful, in particular our Odyssey had multiple issues requiring nearly a week in the shop for them to diagnose, order parts, and fix. They refused to provide a service loaner, and we're talking about a 2 month old top trim model van, one of the most expensive vehicles they sold.

Which manufacturer releases failures rates, let alone broken down by specific type of failure? Not defending the practice but afaik this type of data isn't shared outside company walls unless there is some legal/regulatory disclosure circumstance.
Of course they won't, unless NHTSA gets involved. I was involved in the VAG "clean diesel" scam, but prior to THAT scam, early on, there were multiple high pressure fuel pump failures, which were plaguing ALL manufacturers of the latest generation of "clean" diesel technology. It took years before VAG reluctantly addressed the high rate of failure (IIRC, never above 5%)

As for Honda, or any manufacturer, providing loaners, I agree that it's entirely up to the dealership whether or not they offer loaners.

As for Honda, or any manufacturer, providing loaners, I agree that it's entirely up to the dealership whether or not they offer loaners.
Yeah, it's all over the map, and depends on the dealer... I've been to an Acura dealer, where they told me they don't offer Acura loaners if the service will take more than a day, only an econobox rental from Enterprise. Wheras the one closer to my house always gave me Acura loaners regardless what I was doing, but only if you made an appointment... Wheras the Infiniti dealer I go to, I showed up one day on a whim because I had a transmission code popup one time, causing the car to go into limp mode... They told me they didn't have any loaners available, but they took me to their back lot, and told me I could pick whataver car I wanted from their new car inventory. So I chose an FX at the time. They told me they would detail it and pull it out front for me... When they did pull it up, I saw it only had 7 miles on the clock.

Another time, I went to a buick dealer to help my dad a while ago... Even tho I was paying 5 grand for a transmission replacement, they flat out told me they wouldn't give me a loaner unless I was spending at least 10 grand in service. Tho they offered to rent me a beater if I paid them $49/day. They wouldn't even give me a ride to work in their "free shuttle", becuase they said my work was too far away, lol...

I appreciate this thread, but it does have me concerned about the potential reliability of my future Model Y. I am not too concerned about range anxiety, battery degradation rates, or cosmetic build quality things, but I am very interested in safety, reliability and dependability. I need my only vehicle to operate whenever I need it.

So it sounds like battery failure issues are not a widespread issue, but are more common than anyone would think given the popularity of the Tesla brand?

Hanging out in car forums always gives a distorted view of the reliability of a car. Me and my kids own Hondas and if you go into their forums you would think they had constant engine and transmission failures. You hear the worst even if the likelihood of you experiencing it is small.
This...^ We skew the numbers so to speak. I certainly would hope that nothing would happen to my battery, after just short of two years not a blip other than disconcerting degradation early on, as others have said @jcanoe being a prime example, it WILL stabilize and it has. (that's a whole other topic i know).

And, don't know why someone asked, but i'll throw it out there. I always use the Cabin Overheat Protection on (No A/C).

Car is solid, dependable and other than replacing windshields on it because i'm near a highway that has gravel trucks that load up near by. I haven't spent much on it. I have a set of replacement tires/wheels ready to go when i wear these out in a month or so.

Reactions: PewPew
My mylr went in two days ago with HV battery failure. 18k miles and most of two years. Full warranty.
They quote two weeks for new replacement battery arrival. I’ll hoping my experience is better than yours has apparently been. So far the service techs and processes have been impressive in a good way.
Good luck!!

Reactions: EV Car