Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2021 Complete Battery Failure at 18k Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our July 2021 MYLR just had its HV battery fail, at 18k miles.

Supposedly getting replaced with a "refurbished" battery. Now 10 days in and Tesla cant even say when the parts are available ("4-6 weeks, possibly more")
Getting increasingly tired of a car that has the quality of a Hyundai from 1970. I get that a MYLR is kinda a glorified Camry at $60k and not a true premium car, but its insane that the Tesla service network and supply chain, e.g. existing owners is not a priority to Tesla over new deliveries.

Supposedly getting replaced with a "refurbished" battery. Now 10 days in and Tesla cant even say when the parts are available ("4-6 weeks, possibly more")
Getting increasingly tired of a car that has the quality of a Hyundai from 1970. I get that a MYLR is kinda a glorified Camry at $60k and not a true premium car, but its insane that the Tesla service network and supply chain, e.g. existing owners is not a priority to Tesla over new deliveries.
That sucks to hear. Did it give any warning prior to the failure? Were you driving it at the time? Was SOC dropping over time, say weeks or months, leading up to the failure? Our July 2021-built LR Y, with 23K miles, is doing fine so far and trying to see if there are any signs we should look for. I realize this is a rare occurrence though. Hopefully they get it replaced sooner than the estimated 4-6 weeks. Please keep us posted.

Reactions: EV Car
No warnings whatsoever.
Plugged the car in at 40% SOC at a SuperCharger and when we returned, it had stopped at 52%, with a long list of fault codes on the display . Would not start and left us stranded 3hrs+ before a tow truck came. Took Tesla 6 days to solve a loaner car through Enterprise. Attaching the error codes. The ONLY bright spot here was we did not leave our dog in the car on Dog Mode as he would have died in the heat as the systems just shut down without warning before we got back. Never trust Dog Mode again unless a person is present in the car!

Tesla really need catch up on Service infrastructure and parts supply and prioritize it as much as new deliveries. 10 days in and the service manager has no clue as to when a replacement battery can be had.

IMG_2764.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: warmwaffles
Is yours still under warranty? Why are they putting in a refurbished battery. Mine was replaced with a new one at 12k because it was under warranty. The service center told me it's new under warranty and refurbished if out of pocket. Originally they told me a week, then a month and I got the car back in 2 weeks.

Reactions: FatherTo1
We're also currently waiting for a battery replacement on our two-week-old 2022 Austin MYLR. The first estimate they gave us was a week, which felt awfully optimistic, but I'm assuming they'll keep pushing it out. I'm thankful they gave us an older Model S loner, but am missing our MY we didn't even really get to enjoy! So I can't offer any advice, only a healthy dose of commiseration - we upgraded from a Honda with 100k miles that was only ever in service for oil changes, so a car potentially being in service for an entire month is new ground for us!

Is yours still under warranty? Why are they putting in a refurbished battery. Mine was replaced with a new one at 12k because it was under warranty. The service center told me it's new under warranty and refurbished if out of pocket. Originally they told me a week, then a month and I got the car back in 2 weeks.
One year old MYLR, 18k miles - so yeah, it’s under full warranty fully covered by Tesla
When you ask specifically, it’s clear that it’s refurbished parts used for this, even though Tesla both write and call it “new battery” replacement.

We're also currently waiting for a battery replacement on our two-week-old 2022 Austin MYLR. The first estimate they gave us was a week, which felt awfully optimistic, but I'm assuming they'll keep pushing it out. I'm thankful they gave us an older Model S loner, but am missing our MY we didn't even really get to enjoy! So I can't offer any advice, only a healthy dose of commiseration - we upgraded from a Honda with 100k miles that was only ever in service for oil changes, so a car potentially being in service for an entire month is new ground for us!
Sorry to hear about this, good luck!

Wonder what the HV battery failure rate and actual numbers are!

"Tesla (Ford, GM, Nissan, etc.) really need catch up on Service infrastructure and parts supply and prioritize it as much as new deliveries."

Sorry your Tesla had HV battery failure. Parts delays are a royal PIA, but sadly, it's an industry-wide issue, not exclusive to Tesla. I hope they source a battery for your car soon.

Glad you weren't in "Dog Mode" unattended. I wonder if the car would have alerted you to the HV failure if you had not been in the car?

Also glad the system shut down as designed, rather than continue to pump HV into a faulty battery, with the potential for fire and total destruction.

I am sorry to hear that and it is alarming that your car is just 1 yr old and it has the battery fail message.

A YouTuber @everydaychris has the same experience, and he got his battery replaced.

I am sorry to hear that they did not get you a Tesla Loaner. :(

Reactions: everydaychris
I am sorry to hear that and it is alarming that your car is just 1 yr old and it has the battery fail message.

A YouTuber @everydaychris has the same experience, and he got his battery replaced.

Its apparently quite common....the guy over at Enterprise car rental said "we have a lot of cars on long term rentals to Tesla for owners with similar battery or drivetrain issues". Quite a few people on the forums have had this failure, and YouTube. Tesla does not do loaners so its pure luck and random if you get a Tesla loaner. Hauling around a chevy rental burning gas the coming month(s). Fear is the refurb battery does not have the same range, seem to be a common complaint upon refurb replacements. Tesla does not install new batteries on these kinds of failures by what I gather asking around. Really upset at the moment and wish we had not gotten the MY.

ty @theocguy
yikes you're seems like a hv and 12v failure
mine just said charge level reduced but wouldn't even charge at 15 percent
Luckily for me i was able to stay home and use the car in the 2 weeks it took the battery to get there
then another week for the refurbished battery

now I have no issues but you're right when I spoke to the advisors they said it never happens and yet after posting my video more than 10 people said they have the same issue

Mine was around 30k and i went to eat and came back and it gave me that warning

Reactions: theocguy and EV Car
ty @theocguy
yikes you're seems like a hv and 12v failure
mine just said charge level reduced but wouldn't even charge at 15 percent
Luckily for me i was able to stay home and use the car in the 2 weeks it took the battery to get there
then another week for the refurbished battery

now I have no issues but you're right when I spoke to the advisors they said it never happens and yet after posting my video more than 10 people said they have the same issue

Mine was around 30k and i went to eat and came back and it gave me that warning
Really hope I get the car back issues free! Funny the SA say it never happens when clearly its common enough for many people have had similar issues or know of it.

Do you have a loaner. I was given a P90D Model X when my Y wouldn’t turn on. Turns out it was a crimped ground strap. STL Service Center got the car yesterday, found the problem and Chicago is overnighting the part to STL. Getting a loaner softens the pain.

None of the Tesla Service Centers around here offer "loaners". They recommend you get someone to come pick you up. This may be a little hassle, but it does get you off to do other business, or back home if they plan to keep your car. Back in the day when Rocklin offered loaners, they were stuff you wouldn't want to be seen driving, so now they just offer Uber credits. Seems half the Uber drivers use Model 3s.

Loaners are getting rarer at all car service centers. It's a hassle, insurance is higher, people trash them and if it's a Tesla, they drive 'em like they stole 'em. I once loaned out my car to a neighbor. After requesting that he not hotrod, I watched on my phone as he turned the corner and jacked it up to 70mph. Who cares about accidents? It's not mine! My wife and I jumped into our other car and followed him, and when he pulled into a restaurant, we pulled in behind him, offered to take his wife back to our house to pick up his car, and notified him that his joy ride was over. I don't blame Tesla for not offering loaners. and if they ever do, I won't be surprised to find they only loan out old Ford beaters. People don't deserve to have a loaner.

None of the Tesla Service Centers around here offer "loaners". They recommend you get someone to come pick you up. This may be a little hassle, but it does get you off to do other business, or back home if they plan to keep your car. Back in the day when Rocklin offered loaners, they were stuff you wouldn't want to be seen driving, so now they just offer Uber credits. Seems half the Uber drivers use Model 3s.

Loaners are getting rarer at all car service centers. It's a hassle, insurance is higher, people trash them and if it's a Tesla, they drive 'em like they stole 'em. I once loaned out my car to a neighbor. After requesting that he not hotrod, I watched on my phone as he turned the corner and jacked it up to 70mph. Who cares about accidents? It's not mine! My wife and I jumped into our other car and followed him, and when he pulled into a restaurant, we pulled in behind him, offered to take his wife back to our house to pick up his car, and notified him that his joy ride was over. I don't blame Tesla for not offering loaners. and if they ever do, I won't be surprised to find they only loan out old Ford beaters. People don't deserve to have a loaner.
Well. The car which is under warranty has been in for repairs for over 6 weeks (and still not back) the first year. I believe Tesla need to provide transportation meanwhile (or I will never buy a tesla again as it has failed for no fault of our own and we dont have a car). There is also no Ubers where I live in rural Nevada. So a rental car or else is expected. Does not have to be a Tesla but i need transportation

Reactions: Aviateur17
Well. The car which is under warranty has been in for repairs for over 6 weeks (and still not back) the first year. I believe Tesla need to provide transportation meanwhile (or I will never buy a tesla again as it has failed for no fault of our own and we dont have a car). There is also no Ubers where I live in rural Nevada. So a rental car or else is expected. Does not have to be a Tesla but i need transportation
it is correct. Even Honda does provide either their loaner car, or a rental for major repair (in or out of warranty).

Reactions: Aviateur17