Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2021 Demo or wait on new vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all-

I ordered a model Y LR AWD yesterday and my SA contacted me today saying that he found a demo car with my complete specs(blue exterior, black interior, tow hitch and all) with approximately 500-600 miles. They are offering 100dollars off only. Should I take the demo or wait on my custom order? I have searched the forums and it seems there are pros and cons. Not sure I think having that many miles with such a small discount off?
Thoughts?

Reactions: hcdavis3
Hi all-

I ordered a model Y LR AWD yesterday and my SA contacted me today saying that he found a demo car with my complete specs(blue exterior, black interior, tow hitch and all) with approximately 500-600 miles. They are offering 100dollars off only. Should I take the demo or wait on my custom order? I have searched the forums and it seems there are pros and cons. Not sure I think having that many miles with such a small discount off?
Thoughts?
I took a demo, and it work out for me, car had 400 miles.

Hi all-

Thoughts?
That's a tough call. I'd personally wait for a new car. I'm sure the majority of demo cars are in great shape. However, the demo MYP I test drove definitely was not. Interior had stained white seats, drink spills around the cupholders, and scratches on the center console. The exterior had some scratches and two wheels had noticeable curb rash. And there was only 750 miles on the odometer!

When I asked my salesperson about the condition of the car, he said some people really abuse the car during the overnight test drives. This was one car that they had limited to "chill" mode b/c it had been recklessly driven during the previous test drive. Of course they removed this limitation during my drive.

Now I'm sure they could clean up this car prior to delivery. If it were the old days where Tesla would provide a significant discount on demo/inventory cars, it might be tempting. But a $100 discount wouldn't be enough to sway me.

Good luck with your decision!

Hi all-

Thoughts?
Doesn’t seem worth it with 500 miles on the car.

All depends, if time = $$$ to the OP. For example, if they decide to wait the ??? weeks for a new one, are they spending money to lease/rent something else while they wait? If so, that $100 off and having it now might be a better deal than spending the money for a lease/rental and waiting for who knows how long to get a brand new car that would be $100 more.

All things being equal, if it were me and waiting was not costing me anything, I'd wait. $100 off is an insult to me. They could do much better than that, like through in free SC for 6 months or store credit for accessories like mats, extra charging cable adapters, etc. The only reason they are doing the $100 thing is because it is not brand new so something off, and demand outstrips supply right now, so they can offer that same deal to others and eventually somebody will snap it up because they cannot or will not wait. Patience and wait, it will be worth it.

While $100 isn't much, as others have mentioned, demand far outstrips supply. In the last round of demo cars, I jumped on one. I saw cars with 3k miles, that I personally had seen, go for almost full retail and were gone in a matter of hours.

Heck, I had 20 inventory cars I was interested in and by the time I got to someone at the Tesla store, they were all gone. This was in a span of about 5 hours. I ultimately ended up with a demo with ultra low miles. No discount but the car was perfect.

By that I mean not only no damage from anyone driving it, but it was put together with no issues that I could find. No bad paint, no panel alignment issues, no condensation in lights, etc. I felt like I won the QC lottery. It was worth it to not have to wait likely 2 more months to get it based on our EDD that kept drifting to the right.

Reactions: zpaul
I got a 1500mi 7seater (1mo old) demo for only $350 off... but it has radar, passenger lumbar (really dont care about that), and who knows what else. No regrets. Paint looks great, there are a couple of mechanical issues, but they're all being fixed (would have under warranty anyway).

Honestly, I think having radar was worth the "1500mi" hit. Still counts as a new car. 4yr/50k warranty, 1yr free premium, etc. If it has radar, to me its a no-brainer, if not, I'd have to do some thinking... but radar was something I really cared about due to the safety. I didnt like safety features being "temporarily disabled". Nah, I'm good... give me the safety features.

Hi all-

Thoughts?
I only had my MY for 2 weeks (had like 12 miles @ delivery), and I already put on 900 miles, lol. I probably wouldn't sweat 500 miles, if you can have everything you want right now...

I went with a demo in 2020, but I got over $2500 off on mine. Every wheel had curb rash, but I was going to replace them anyway so I didn't care. The bonus of a demo is that you can just go drive it and check it out, if you can't go drive it first I wouldn't go with a demo...