Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2021 Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HOW CHEAP HAS TESLA GOTTEN?

I am an owner of a Model S. It is expensive and considered a luxury car. It came with everything you needed. Then I recenty purchased a Model Y. Still an expensive car but guess what? They have now gutted some of the options that you expect from a luxury car.
No 240V 50 AMP plug adapter
No garage door opener
None of these services are included without a fee: Navigation, Live Traffic Visualization, Satellite-View Maps, Video Streaming, Caraoke, Music Streaming, Internet Browser
No Summon

Cool feature: Wireless smart phone charger

I agree most of it, but most luxury cars do not have Summon feature, and all the connectivity is all monthly or yearly subscription that you need to pay extra as well.
I still think not including the HomeLink is kind of cheap move though.

Reactions: FLTessie

I am an owner of a Model S. It is expensive and considered a luxury car. It came with everything you needed. Then I recenty purchased a Model Y. Still an expensive car but guess what? They have now gutted some of the options that you expect from a luxury car.
No garage door opener
None of these services are included without a fee: Navigation, Live Traffic Visualization, Satellite-View Maps, Video Streaming, Caraoke, Music Streaming, Internet Browser
No Summon

Apparently you have not purchased a Model S recently either.

The only thing you get from that list is the garage door opener.

They had to de-content the Y to hit a price point. I came from a 2019 Raven S and honestly don’t miss any of the things you mentioned, except for the dual screen at times (although watching movies is nicer in landscape mode on the Y). I think the Y is a great bargain but we bought at $51,500. The higher seating in the Y also makes it more comfortable than our previous S. I didn’t miss the air suspension as much as I thought I would. Plus the Y cost less, has more range, and charges 2x faster than our Standard Range S did (although the S had unlimited lifetime charging).

Reactions: mangrove79
It is cheap not to include homelink sure, but a lot of people don't need it. Teslas are considered expensive, not luxury. Those two terms don't go hand in hand.

But its interesting, if you ask most people here, many people going from first gen Model S/X to Model 3/Y will say that the Model 3/Y is much better and more advanced. (better build quality, updated electronics, actual autopilot, etc)

At some point we have to get away from calling a MY and M3 luxury vehicles. I get that they're priced in the luxury vehicle segment, but you're paying for battery tech and indirectly Tesla's awesome supercharger network, not luxury. They're missing some of the most common "luxury" features like blind spot monitoring (the PIP just isn't the same), rear cross traffic alert, top down parking view, hands-free tailgate/trunk open (kicking motion), heads-up display, and more.

At some point we have to get away from calling a MY and M3 luxury vehicles. I get that they're priced in the luxury vehicle segment, but you're paying for battery tech and indirectly Tesla's awesome supercharger network, not luxury. They're missing some of the most common "luxury" features like blind spot monitoring (the PIP just isn't the same), rear cross traffic alert, top down parking view, hands-free tailgate/trunk open (kicking motion), heads-up display, and more.
100%, they're closer to tech/ performance. not luxury... but any car that costs that much is going up be labeled as luxury... as in its a luxury to own it, not that it's luxurious inside (which it's not)

Ordered a Y and S at the same time last year. Got the Y MUCH quicker than the S which arrived a few weeks ago.

Things I wish the Y should have had at its price point but aren't included:
  • Cooled seats
  • Better suspension/adjustable suspension
  • Dual screens
    XM radio
  • Real blind-spot monitoring rather than a camera, such as an icon in the mirror as others do
The Y is pretty good but definitely has room for improvement. I think we all have suggestions for what they should do. The above list is where I think they are clearly lacking vs. their competitors.

It is cheap not to include homelink sure, but a lot of people don't need it. Teslas are considered expensive, not luxury. Those two terms don't go hand in hand.

But its interesting, if you ask most people here, many people going from first gen Model S/X to Model 3/Y will say that the Model 3/Y is much better and more advanced. (better build quality, updated electronics, actual autopilot, etc)
Teslas are considered luxury when fanbois want to rave about how they are outselling BMW.

Teslas are not luxury when discussing missing equipment that would be considered standard on a $15,000 Honda.

Ordered a Y and S at the same time last year. Got the Y MUCH quicker than the S which arrived a few weeks ago.

Things I wish the Y should have had at its price point but aren't included:
  • Cooled seats
  • Better suspension/adjustable suspension
  • Dual screens
    XM radio
  • Real blind-spot monitoring rather than a camera, such as an icon in the mirror as others do
The Y is pretty good but definitely has room for improvement. I think we all have suggestions for what they should do. The above list is where I think they are clearly lacking vs. their competitors.
Yes but those things would make the Y more expensive, hence why Tesla sells the X.

Cooled seats were not always available on previous S/X either. Tesla went through several generations of seat designs and finally brought back cooled seats in the refresh S/X.

Yes but those things would make the Y more expensive, hence why Tesla sells the X.

Cooled seats were not always available on previous S/X either. Tesla went through several generations of seat designs and finally brought back cooled seats in the refresh S/X.
None of my asks would drive up costs too much. We had all that, and more, on an Acura RDX at a much lower price point.

Reactions: Daekwan
So buy a Acura, everybody will be happy.
Wow, what a thoughtful, collegial response.

While Tesla has done some things pretty well, customer feedback will only make the product better. Perhaps you are one of the people who think it is amazing in its current version. I am not.

I'm on my 3rd Tesla and definitely think there is room for improvement the more I drive them in a variety of situations. Definitely some stupid design decisions like the yoke and lack of stalks on my refreshed Model S. Yoke on its own wasn't great when you have to make a complete revolution to turn. The omission of stalks complicates controls without a lot of benefit in its current iteration.

Wow, what a thoughtful, collegial response.

While Tesla has done some things pretty well, customer feedback will only make the product better. Perhaps you are one of the people who think it is amazing in its current version. I am not.

I'm on my 3rd Tesla and definitely think there is room for improvement the more I drive them in a variety of situations. Definitely some stupid design decisions like the yoke and lack of stalks on my refreshed Model S. Yoke on its own wasn't great when you have to make a complete revolution to turn. The omission of stalks complicates controls without a lot of benefit in its current iteration.
It doesn’t really make sense though to compare the Y to an RDX, that’s a totally different drivetrain and price segment. Everyone knows the battery tech is the majority cost of an EV. You go into a Y already knowing it doesn’t have two displays, air suspension, etc. The Y is not trying to be the X. It is based on the 3 and you don’t expect the 3 to be at the level of the S. That’s like complaining my Lexus ES doesn’t ride like the flagship LS, or the BMW 3/MB C series isn’t up to the standard of the 7/S series cars. They are not meant to be.

My Lexus LS had 4-zone climate control, ventilated seats, power reclining rear seats with massage, soft-close doors, a drink cooler, etc but I gladly gave up those amenities for my Model S. If you want features missing from other cars then wait for some future Tesla or buy Lucid Air/something else. It may sound harsh but, really, what are your options? No one forced OP to buy a Y.

The Y isn’t perfect but find me another more compelling EV at the same cost today and droves of people, myself included, will line up to buy it with OP. Tesla sells every car they make and can’t keep up with demand.

Last edited:
If adding $350 home link and $199/year connectively package is worth writing a post over maybe tesla is not for you anymore.
That’s mean!
As it is, it can be argued otherwise - for Tesla to sell 70k car and having to charge $350 for one time utility feature and 100$/year for connectivity package. If someone streams Netflix all 365 days a year then yeah it may be expensive for bandwidth usage for Tesla but they could have a data cap for things like traffic, music for nominal usage (which shouldn’t be as data heavy). So it depends how you view things. It’s like those days with VZW offering 30MB for 40$ after data limit. If they need to nickel and dime to get to profitability - it doesn’t augur well for company as a whole in general and also their core product (either bad decisions at top levels, or disconnect with practical market conditions). Remember those days when at&t charged ton of extra money for ‘Text’ till WhatsApp put it in its place. Tesla is after all more of a tech car than say typical car company. Wish Tesla can iron out these kinks sooner.

That’s mean!
As it is, it can be argued otherwise - for Tesla to sell 70k car and having to charge $350 for one time utility feature and 100$/year for connectivity package. If someone streams Netflix all 365 days a year then yeah it may be expensive for bandwidth usage for Tesla but they could have a data cap for things like traffic, music for nominal usage (which shouldn’t be as data heavy). So it depends how you view things. It’s like those days with VZW offering 30MB for 40$ after data limit. If they need to nickel and dime to get to profitability - it doesn’t augur well for company as a whole in general and also their core product (either bad decisions at top levels, or disconnect with practical market conditions). Remember those days when at&t charged ton of extra money for ‘Text’ till WhatsApp put it in its place. Tesla is after all more of a tech car than say typical car company. Wish Tesla can iron out these kinks sooner.
On the flipside of that, nickel and dime approach also gives you choice.

I thought the automatic Homelink feature on our Model S was so cool but it activated a few times when not appropriate and I eventually disabled it. On our Model Y I elected not to add Homelink and am perfectly fine with the low-tech classic garage clicker velcroed to the back of the screen and out of sight. Choice.

As for premium connectivity, someone can elect to use the mobile hotspot on their phone and avoid the monthly/annual subscription. Just depends how much you value the convenience of premium connectivity. It is a minimal cost. Again, choice.

No garage door opener
No Summon

I guess you haven't seen the rice of the new MS lately?

No garage door opener
No Summon

Perhaps the most important feature is navigation, which is automatically included.
The other streaming features can be added via cell phone hot spot, or for $10/month or $99/year.

It doesn’t really make sense though to compare the Y to an RDX, that’s a totally different drivetrain and price segment. Everyone knows the battery tech is the majority cost of an EV. You go into a Y already knowing it doesn’t have two displays, air suspension, etc. The Y is not trying to be the X. It is based on the 3 and you don’t expect the 3 to be at the level of the S. That’s like complaining my Lexus ES doesn’t ride like the flagship LS, or the BMW 3/MB C series isn’t up to the standard of the 7/S series cars. They are not meant to be.

My Lexus LS had 4-zone climate control, ventilated seats, power reclining rear seats with massage, soft-close doors, a drink cooler, etc but I gladly gave up those amenities for my Model S. If you want features missing from other cars then wait for some future Tesla or buy Lucid Air/something else. It may sound harsh but, really, what are your options? No one forced OP to buy a Y.

The Y isn’t perfect but find me another more compelling EV at the same cost today and droves of people, myself included, will line up to buy it with OP. Tesla sells every car they make and can’t keep up with demand.
I think it is a pretty fair comparison. The cheapest Acura SUV vs. the cheapest Tesla SUV. A 40k base price for the Acura vs 62k for the Tesla. Not like we were comparing it to a Lexus. The RDX is the upgraded CRV.

As for options, I didn't say air suspension. I said better/adjustable. So give me better suspension or suspension I can adjust to my liking or auto adjust for me. Another display wouldn't have cost a ton to implement. Having your main info out of the line of sight is pretty terrible to be honest. Back to the RDX, it had HUD. Didn't ask for that but a lot of cars have it now. I don't think asking for those things makes it seem like I want an X.

Look at the BMW X series. You don't have to go to the top of the line BMW to get a lot of these features, nor should you have to. I didn't ask for massaging seats, drink cooler, etc. Just things that are fairly common in the price point/class the Y sits in. The RDX is the bottom of the SUV line in the Acura range. Overall the Acura name isn't as luxurious as Lexus for example across the line. Basically Acura is "near-luxury".

In this segment (Y), there is a lot of competition. Hyundai/Kia is really gaining here. Once they iron some of the kinks out of the MME, it definitely has the Y square in its sights. When you factor in the price of a new Y, lack of rebates, a lot of other models can be pretty compelling options. Obviously, I appreciate Tesla as I've dropped about 200k on their vehicles in less than a year. As an engineer, I appreciate a lot of what they've accomplished but also confounded by some of their design choices.

When you start dropping 60k on a car, there are a lot of things people expect regardless of the drivetrain. A lot of great things about Tesla but I think the competition is really gaining on them in areas that matter to a lot of people, rather than some of the stuff we debate on this forum. Don't even want to think about how crappy the quality control is on Tesla. My MS should not have its door rubbing on the fender when I took delivery. Regardless of price point, the customer deserves better than that. As the rest of the world catches up to Tesla, the less likely they are to overlook these flaws. There shouldn't be any QC issues when buying a 50k+ car.

Reactions: nate704 and Daekwan