Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2023 vs Model 3/2018 - paint quality compare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could I please request some thoughts/first hand experience for anyone with 2023 MY (either Fremont or Austin builds) exterior paint quality - vs 2018/19 Model 3 exterior paint

With Model 3 - basic car wash or even very well prepped hand wash - I just could see the “whirl” marks, I’d say bit too easily. Paint quality - mm - was a big con. You felt even rough cloth could leave a mark quite easily. I’ve stopped washing M3 for that reason :). Curious how the experience for Y in 2023 is? Are car wash still an issue? TIA!

“Whirl marks” sounds like the clearcoat is scratched. Not a paint quality thing. Maybe happened during prep or since - someone has taken it though a cloth/brush car wash or just cleaned it poorly by hand - not using two buckets, gritty sponge/cloths etc.

Swirls aren't really a paint quality issue, but I've personally compared my old Fremont MY21 Y to a couple Austin Ys that my friends/family own.

The Austin cars had a better paint job, but the panels really seem to be an issue. Especially the doors that aren't completely flush. My Fremont build was fine.

Could I please request some thoughts/first hand experience for anyone with 2023 MY (either Fremont or Austin builds) exterior paint quality - vs 2018/19 Model 3 exterior paint

With Model 3 - basic car wash or even very well prepped hand wash - I just could see the “whirl” marks, I’d say bit too easily. Paint quality - mm - was a big con. You felt even rough cloth could leave a mark quite easily. I’ve stopped washing M3 for that reason :). Curious how the experience for Y in 2023 is? Are car wash still an issue? TIA!
I have a blue Fremont built 2021 Model 3 and an Austin built, grey 2023 Model Y. Don't know if they changed the type of clear coat used or if the grey color hides swirls and scratches better, but just using a microfiber towel, with light pressure, I will leave scratches in the clearcoat on the Model 3. Nothing on the model Y.

Reactions: AJ..