Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 21” Uberturbine Wheels - New York City Conditions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery of a Model Y Performance in a couple months. Can someone who can speak from experience please tell me whether the 21” wheels will hold up day to day in New York City conditions? Or should I just swap them out for some 19” Tsportline wheels when I take delivery?

I live on Long Island and just swapped to 19” TSportsline but that was for comfort. Potholes are crazy this year but I didn’t Have an issue and drove in the 5 boroughs 3 days a week. Long Island is worse. The 21” wheels look incredible and when it’s warm out the ride is honestly fine, it changed in the winter; just felt stiffer and my wife wanted me to swap them out.

Upvote 0
I bumped into a new Model Y Performance owner at a brewery on Long Island on Saturday. He said that he has been through 4 tires (blow outs and bulges) since December and still has 2 more to replace due to bulges from the LIE and NYC. We drove the LIE from the East End tonight and I saw 5 people pulled over for flat tires from Exit 50 to the exit for Medford. It was like drive through a landmine field.

Upvote 0
NY/NJ roads was one of my primary motivators for moving to 19s from the 21s. While I am sure you would be fine with the 21 A/Ts, I wouldnt want to be replacing a staggered set of tires after hitting a pothole.
The crappie roads in metro NY was one of the reasons we moved out off the east coast! NY roads will force people to have a winter and summer cars! Seasonal cars are very common in Detroit and few other Midwest Shixxole cities. Roads in NY area are just ad bad as roads Nairobi! Just an FYI!

Reactions: 101dals
Upvote 0
Long Island expressway bent rim and blew out sidewalk of tire hitting a pothole, brand new less than a 100 miles on it, 265/35 21 Michelin pilot sport 4s

Attachments

• 9109C862-8CF4-42FD-997A-6B74CA175A8B.jpeg
    9109C862-8CF4-42FD-997A-6B74CA175A8B.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 435
  • Informative
Reactions: 101dals and tm1v2
Upvote 0