Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 21” Uberturbine Wheels - New York City Conditions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery of a Model Y Performance in a couple months. Can someone who can speak from experience please tell me whether the 21” wheels will hold up day to day in New York City conditions? Or should I just swap them out for some 19” Tsportline wheels when I take delivery?

I pick up my model Y Performance with the 21‘s on Monday and I’m wondering how can I go about swapping those out for the 19s without paying anything additional? Is there a website or a place that I can go to to swap them out without paying any additional charges?

Upvote 0
I pick up my model Y Performance with the 21‘s on Monday and I’m wondering how can I go about swapping those out for the 19s without paying anything additional? Is there a website or a place that I can go to to swap them out without paying any additional charges?
I haven’t heard of tesla swapping them out at pick up. Some people have been selling them on eBay or the marketplace here. Just be prepared that they can be a hard sell since they are heavy and most folks here know about the limited tires options and the higher potential for flats and rough ride

Upvote 0
Am waiting on my PMY but took advantage of TSportLine’s Memorial Day sale and ordered their 18” tire/wheel package.

yk0kaev.png

The BIG and HEAVY 21 inch wheels with rubber bands for tires are just not practical and aside from looks they don’t contribute to the vehicles overall performance capabilities.

Upvote 0
Am waiting on my PMY but took advantage of TSportLine’s Memorial Day sale and ordered their 18” tire/wheel package.

yk0kaev.png

The BIG and HEAVY 21 inch wheels with rubber bands for tires are just not practical and aside from looks they don’t contribute to the vehicles overall performance capabilities.
Same here. I ordered the same wheel last weekend but in 20’s. Anything is better then the 21’s

Upvote 0

yk0kaev.png

Are 19" or 20" tires also a good alternative. I know its a completely different car but my wife's Audi Q5 has 20" tires and rides fine.

Upvote 0

yk0kaev.png

I mean they do, they have done tests for performance vehicles and what size tires get the best performance lol

Upvote 0
Are 19" or 20" tires also a good alternative. I know its a completely different car but my wife's Audi Q5 has 20" tires and rides fine.
Yes, the 19" Gemini wheels (standard on the Long Range Model Y) and the optional 20" Induction wheels for the Long Range Model Y can help soften the ride as there is more sidewall depth to the tire than on the 21" wheels. The overall diameter of the tire remains the same at 28", the profile of the tire (more sidewall with the smaller wheel sizes) and overall lighter wheel and tire improve efficiency.

Range loss with the different wheel options

Upvote 0
Recently placed my order for my MYP and was trying to confirm with my sales rep about the All season tires. They told me that they are only delivering with summer tires moving forward in NY.

Anyone able to share their reservation number that recently took delivery in the northeast that got the all seasons? They told me that can help them put the request for my order if I had someone else’s RN that recently took delivery with them. Appreciate your help!

Upvote 0
Recently placed my order for my MYP and was trying to confirm with my sales rep about the All season tires. They told me that they are only delivering with summer tires moving forward in NY.

Anyone able to share their reservation number that recently took delivery in the northeast that got the all seasons? They told me that can help them put the request for my order if I had someone else’s RN that recently took delivery with them. Appreciate your help!
Hi - where in NYC area did you get the tires changed? I am in NJ
I am expecting my MYP in a couple of weeks and want to get 19” from Tsportline.

Upvote 0

We were told we would get A/S on our MYP and we did. Michelin All Seasons. RN is in my signature.

BTW the way - driving with the 21 inch wheels is fine. The ride is great. People who complain and want to downsize must be coming from a Buick minivan. The ride on our MYP is way better than our prior Audi Q5 or BMW X5.

Upvote 0
We were told we would get A/S on our MYP and we did. Michelin All Seasons. RN is in my signature.

BTW the way - driving with the 21 inch wheels is fine. The ride is great. People who complain and want to downsize must be coming from a Buick minivan. The ride on our MYP is way better than our prior Audi Q5 or BMW X5.
It is not just the ride. The survivability of the low profile tires and 21" wheels when encountering potholes is a concern. Some of the potholes are visible from outer space.

Upvote 0