Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y/3 Pedestrian Speaker retrofit - now available for certain vehicles

jeffbco

Jun 7, 2020
Austin, TX
When did they start adding the PWS to MY? I’ve got an early 2020 M3 that has it. Pretty sure it was built before any MYs so it’s weird they didn’t have them from the jump.
The regulations regarding PWS had an effective date and a quantity threshold that had to be exceeded before PWS was required on the MY. Maybe someone will post the applicable language.

Mrbrock

Mar 26, 2020
Napa, CA
Weird, with all the similarities between the 3 and Y you’d think that would have been an easy carryover considering they were on the 3 from Sept 2019.

Midnightsun

Nov 29, 2020
Canada
My understanding is it was supposed to be required by law by X date so it was included way back. (end of 2019/beginning of 2020). The date was extended so they stopped installing the feature. Now is is law and all units coming out from manufacturers need to have a noise making device. Prior units are grandfathered in so no need to install. Removing this feature on a car built when it was required could possibly get you in a load of crap if the accident was caused due to no noise being emitted.

Reactions: gunthermic

Cloggie

Nov 18, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Took my car (M3LR Dec 2020, 2021 model) to the S.C. in Birmingham yesterday and asked abour the PWS retrofit. The answer was, 'not at this time, but who knows maybe at a later stage'
Will be interesting if others get a different answer

Gigaron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
I am so not interested in my car making a noise to alert pedestrians when hybrids and some ice cars are just as quiet and exempt from this ridiculous law
My 2012 Prius was in an accident and I had to pay $139 to replace the PWS. I didn’t even know it had a PWS — I figured the hum I heard at low speeds was from the inverters or something. Nope — PWS.

And no, I am not interested in paying for the privilege of my Tesla making noise.

Reactions: Gadget63

Cloggie

Nov 18, 2020
West Midlands, UK
My 2012 Prius was in an accident and I had to pay $139 to replace the PWS. I didn’t even know it had a PWS — I figured the hum I heard at low speeds was from the inverters or something. Nope — PWS.

And no, I am not interested in paying for the privilege of my Tesla making noise.
I wouldn't mind if I can turn it on and off as required. Lots of small children and old people where I live. The PWS is not for me, I like my M3 quiet :)

Reactions: Gadget63

TomServo

Apr 10, 2014
Belleville IL

Refer to Tesla SI-21-90-001 -- price is $200

Allows for Boombox functionality

Service center or Ranger for installation..

See link.
If anyone is paying $200 they ar getting ripped off, had it installed back on May 10th and I was charged $95.01

lBd310S.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Different labour rates in different locations?

You’d think the job would have a set number of billable hours, but who knows.

$35 labour sounds incredibly cheap, to be honest. It doesn’t sound like it’s even 30 minutes which surely is the smallest block they can book?

gunthermic

Aug 20, 2020
Dayton, Ohio
Mine was installed today, very happy. since you can turn items on/off. Feel better pulling in/out of parking lots that have a ton of people at don't pay attention at least there is a small noise now.

Reactions: OutofPocket

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC