Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 40% more efficient than Mustang Mach E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HERE is the big advantage Tesla has. Over on Teslaratti they talk of the MachE official EPA range. 270 miles vs 326 on the MY. Ford Mustang Mach-E gets near-Tesla-level EPA-rated range

BUT! The Tesla has a smaller battery(75kw vs 88 kw in MachE) so Tesla battery costs are LESS to go father. THAT is the Tesla first-mover advantage. (lower costs and faster recharging per mile traveled)

Look at the combine MPGe. MY=125, MachE=90. My goes 40% father per kW! Could be aerodynamics, but MachE looks about same size and smoothness as MY. Plus you would think the 'legacy' automaker could nail the aero and had a lower Cd. The legacy makers are just going to KILL Tesla with all this better knowledge they bring, right?

Long term, I became VERY bullish on Tesla after battery day. Alot didn't because no 1million mile battery. Who cares. IF I drive 20,000 miles/year that's 50 years! What, I get 1 car when turn 20 and die with it 50 years later?

IF EVs are going mainstream, the battery supply is paramount. Didn't MachE 'sell-out' already because no more batteries? Heard the Rav 4 PHEV sold out because Toyota didn't contract for more batteries. What, sold like 4,000 units?

IF going to sell 2million cars a year+, need LOTS of battery capacity. Only Tesla seems to be ahead and planning for this with new cell structure and making their own.

If can get costs of battery down (Tesla goal so sell cheaper car or make more profit per car) and have battery supply (Tesla goal) and have leadership in going the farthest per kw (Tesla lead just shown here), the legacy makers have a long road ahead.

Disclaimer, I own Tesla stock and right now am VERY happy! Hope to get enough profit to buy that MX I've wanted for the family.

People might not care, but long term this is a Tesla advantage. If others have to put in larger batteries to get same (or close) range as Tesla, this costs other manufacturers more $$$$ to get there.

Plus the 4680 cells are going to give Tesla a big advantage where you NEED the extra energy, no matter how areo you are: Trucks. When those batteries roll down to S,3,X,and Y, those will get that much better.

Right now I can ALMOST see getting a Tesla as Super Chargers works ALMOST everywhere I need, but the U.P. of Michigan is still a wasteland.

Get a Bolt, or MachE today,and fast charge WHERE? The Electrify America network is coming along, but not here TODAY in Wisconsin. Can't spend $55K and not use it on the road.

And don't say use 14-50 campgrounds and RV parks. For trips, wife is absolutely not going to accept charging at what 7-11kw/hour. HAS to be DCFC for trips if want the Midwest to really accept and replace ICE.

(I know you people that have close and abundant SC don't understand, but the Midwest is STILL not GREAT for Tesla's SC and worse for everyone else. Throw in our -40Deg winters and 30-40% range loss and then what? If I go visit parents, can't get there and back and it's only 110 miles each way. NO chargers on the way, slow or otherwise. So YES real range does matter.)

Well, there is a RWD version of Mach-E does get 300 miles, so it's a little more competitive on that trim level. Which with incentives will still probably be less than the MY, and there is a large contingent that doesn't want or need AWD.

It's not just RWD, it's single motor with a lot less power.
Um, yeah, most EV's have one motor for RWD, an additional one for AWD. As far as power, what's your point? I suspect most mainstream EV owner's won't care about power ratings. That's one thing I pointed out in my preview of the Mach-E - the salesman kept mentioning the zero-60 time and frankly, I don't really care. But the cheapest Mach-E RWD Extended Range (300 miles) starts around $52k, minus $7500 federal rebate, minus $5000 NJ EV Rebate = $39,500. People will care more about that than 0-60 time.

Here is my Mach-E preview, FYI - Ford Mustang Mach-E EV Preview

Reactions: SmartElectric
OTOH, Tesla's have pretty high real world highway consumption compared to their ratings. It remains to be seen how the real-world (70+) consumption compares.
Well, the EPA ratings are done on a machine, not in the real-world, just like every vehicle they provide ratings for. Real world will rarely match the ideal conditions they rate under. EPA ratings are just a tool to compare relative ratings. So, a Tesla MY rated at 326 miles should get more range than a Mustang Mach-E rated at 300.

Reactions: jsight
Um, yeah, most EV's have one motor for RWD, an additional one for AWD. As far as power, what's your point? I suspect most mainstream EV owner's won't care about power ratings. That's one thing I pointed out in my preview of the Mach-E - the salesman kept mentioning the zero-60 time and frankly, I don't really care. But the cheapest Mach-E RWD Extended Range (300 miles) starts around $52k, minus $7500 federal rebate, minus $5000 NJ EV Rebate = $39,500. People will care more about that than 0-60 time.

Here is my Mach-E preview, FYI - Ford Mustang Mach-E EV Preview
Nice Mach E review. First photo, not a fan of the rear top roof line. Maybe will grow on me and it is just a picture, but the Tesla design language is better from that angle. Problem for me with MachE: ZERO DCFC anywhere around in directions I go. Chicken and egg, I know.

Wife, who has a 'real' Mustang as she puts it as a summer car (2016 GT Convertible 5.0, 6 spd manual) wouldn't never buy this. Says, "THAT'S not a Mustang". Of course, she thinks the CyberTruck is the uglyist thing ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanDi58
Logic clearly isn't wanted in this Pro Tesla Anti Anything Else post.

Well, this IS a Tesla website.

And anything else is NOT at the same level right now for range, new FSD, tech, charging network, dealing with dealer network and the resistance to EVs they have etc.
Others are ahead for assembly quality most likely (panel gaps) and initial delivery quality. Subjective of course.

I think it's no different than any other vehicle. You can purchase a really fuel efficient gas suv but it will start looking like a low to the ground egg station wagon thing. They have to pick between looks and aerodynamics. Looking at the mach-e they made some sacrificing on the aero for looks. I know in the Tesla forum we all like whatever car we have but more people tell me the X and Y are ugly than tell me they like it. People who think a car is ugly tend to not buy it even if it gets better mpg.

You could tell me the X drives 500miles and I won't buy it because I don't like the way it looks. I think the mass market is not going to care about efficiency either.

If everything is going to be electric and everything is going to have 250-300+ miles of range. It's going to be just like selling an ice car. Efficiency or mpg won't matter as much to a consumer. Unless electric gets expensive. Right now gas and electric are cheap.

Last edited: