Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - 5 seater vs 7 seater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- Can the Model Y (5 seater) fit a toddler car seat + 2 petite adults (both under 5' 4") in the second row? I suspect the answer is no, but wanted to check if anyone has experimented with it.
- Similarly, can anyone comment on leg room and head room for a petite adult in third row in the Model Y (7 seater).

We will likely get the 7 seater but a bit concerned about the lower cargo space when third row is collapsed (compared to standard 5 seater Model Y)

Looking to sort this out and place an order soon! Thanks in advance!

- Can the Model Y (5 seater) fit a toddler car seat + 2 petite adults (both under 5' 4") in the second row? I suspect the answer is no, but wanted to check if anyone has experimented with it.
- Similarly, can anyone comment on leg room and head room for a petite adult in third row in the Model Y (7 seater).

We will likely get the 7 seater but a bit concerned about the lower cargo space when third row is collapsed (compared to standard 5 seater Model Y)

Following

7seat owner here. My wife is 5'2" and she can fit in the third row. Im 5"11 and it can be done but Its only really comfortable for a short drive. As far as the second row. Look for slim car seats/booster seats from diono, gracco

Reactions: LoudMusic
Yes to both your questions. My wife is 5'6" and can fit with a toddler seat (if narrow as mentioned) easily in the 2nd row. I didn't plan originally to get the 7 seater but I am glad we did now. A lot more flexibility.

Reactions: mcsenerd
I'll add my 5'7" teen sat in one of her friend's and she said it was manageable for the couple of miles but didn't feel safe with her head that close to the top. That said, we ordered a 7 seater just to have the option if the need for the extra seating ever came up.

Reactions: mcsenerd
Looks like you got your answer above, so I won’t answer, but I will say my kids rock the 3rd row with their booster seats and always want to sit there…it’s easier for me to just pop the trunk and lower them from behind into the third row than it is to access the third row from the doors. Once the novelty wears off I suspect they will prefer the 2nd row.

Reactions: OrthoSurg
Thanks for the input folks! :)
also something thats not mentioned is to create leg space for the third row its a cascading effect for what i mean by that, is you need to move the second row up and theres a possibility you might need to move the front seats up as well. Again with me being 5"11 I can create enough space for me to sit in all three positions. My friend who is 6'4" made it a little tight for some on of my size to sit in the middle row if I wanted to keep enough space for the third row for an adult.

Problem with us 5'4" people is the seatbelts cutting our necks off in the front seats...The 3rd row would be a big negative for anyone but younger or tiny kids.
The 2nd row is taller and more spacious than most other cars and suvs. Way more than the 3, and definitely more than the Mercedes A220 loaner i have.
I put my wife was 5'2" above, I dont know why I typed 5'2" shes 5"7 lol. Anyway Even if you raise the seat, it still gets ya? My mom doesnt have any issues if she raises the seat.

I have seat belt tenders on order, my wife is under 5' tall and hates the seat belts in the Y more than most cars. For me, in my preferred driving position (a bit of lean back, not extreme) it gets me in the neck as well. Why make a seat belt anchor adjustable if you are only going to give it a small range of motion? Waste of effort and money, just put a seatbelt "guide" on the shoulder of the seat itself.

If they made a 7 seater MYP I would have considered it, but the cost is a bit much for what you get. I wonder if a MYP could be retrofitted with parts from a wrecked MY LR 7 seater?

Keith

Reactions: whisperingshad
Looks like you got your answer above, so I won’t answer, but I will say my kids rock the 3rd row with their booster seats and always want to sit there…it’s easier for me to just pop the trunk and lower them from behind into the third row than it is to access the third row from the doors. Once the novelty wears off I suspect they will prefer the 2nd row.

Our 7 year old is in the 3rd row and sits behind the 5 year old. We have pushed the 2nd row up a bit (this is the driver side and middle) so our 7 year old has a bit more foot space. Our 5 year old has plenty of space. We have a 1.5 year old rear facing on the passenger side. It would be challenging to put the 7 year old behind the 1.5 year old as my wife would have to move her seat forward to make that work.

We can tip the 2nd row drivers side seat forward for 3rd row access or just pop the trunk. Since there are no air vents in the 3rd row, we just put the middle seat down to allow for additional air flow.

We have had 2 road trips in the car (~3 hours each way) and no issues. Space wise, it has much more room than the 3 does, but it requires more creative packing.

Hope this helps someone!

Reactions: spurs10 and fiveten
On thing that others mention that shouldn't be overlooked is how frickin' easy it is to drop a kid in from the trunk rather than sliding the middle seat forward. I figured that one out really quickly after I popped the trunk after loading one of our kids in the back. A lot easier to buckle them in and out too.

Almost like Tesla planned it that way but I think they got lucky. I also like how they fold away pretty well when not needed and you think it is just a 5 seater if you didn't know what to look for. Give up one of the little subfloor trunks but that was too far away to load easily anyway.

Reactions: dyau and OrthoSurg
Give up one of the little subfloor trunks but that was too far away to load easily anyway.

Yeah, that subfloor trunk gets loaded with the stuff I never really expect to need any time in the near future, (air compressor, jack pucks, mobile charging unit with adapters)... that type of stuff. This would all go in the Frunk if I had a 7 seater and I would never notice the difference. I almost think the 7 seater would have a flatter load floor with all seats folded and the sub trunk cover flipped over... is that your impression?

Keith

There is just a little raised part in the trunk area. The rest is very flat when folding down. I wasn't looking for a 7 seater going in and had 5 seater on order. Got tired of waiting and ended up buying a 7 seater from inventory that was identical to what we had on order. It was a bit more money but the versatility is awesome. So much easier to move people around (if they aren't too big).

On thing that others mention that shouldn't be overlooked is how frickin' easy it is to drop a kid in from the trunk rather than sliding the middle seat forward. I figured that one out really quickly after I popped the trunk after loading one of our kids in the back. A lot easier to buckle them in and out too.

Almost like Tesla planned it that way but I think they got lucky. I also like how they fold away pretty well when not needed and you think it is just a 5 seater if you didn't know what to look for. Give up one of the little subfloor trunks but that was too far away to load easily anyway.
I do the same
I am currently on a road trip and throwing my 4 years old kid in the third row from the trunk. My 8 years old climb by himself and helps to buckle up his brother

my other kids just use the doors to get in the second row.

a lot easier to access the third row from the trunk than sliding the 2nd row

(1) if you have a skinny toddler car seat (we have the Diono Radian), you could easily fit two petite adults in that second row.

(2) that third row is tight. we had the chance to see my cousin's 7-seater in person, and had a 7 and 4/5 year old sit in that third row. While the third row might work for young kids, I had a hard time envisioning how a petite adult could sit back there.

Also, in order to accommodate the two kids, my cousin had to push the second row forward. I tried sitting in that second row, and that was also very right.

Third, I myself tried to sit in that third row (I'm about 5'10") and there was basically no leg room, and my head was nearly touching the glass hatch.

Finally, with that third row in use, there was basically no trunk space. Unless my cousin utilized the subfloor, she could not even fit her kid's scooter in that trunk.

P.S. - my cousin mentioned that, in the few months she has owned her Y, she has never once used the 3rd row, but it is a "nice to have" in the off-chance she and her husband need to transport additional people.

Attachments

• IMG_2275.jpg
    IMG_2275.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 884
  • IMG_2277.jpg
    IMG_2277.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 472
Last edited: