Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 5G Chip Included?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the Model Y is coming in late 2020, I'm hoping Tesla is able to put a 5G mmWave modem inside. I understand we're in the early stages of 5G, and more devices (like the 2020 iPhone & most Androids) will have it next year. Plus the lower latency will be helpful in autonomous driving (one of the selling points of 5G).

What are your thoughts on if it will be included? If not, how easy are the modems to replace, and how much do you think Tesla will charge to upgrade from LTE?

Highly unlikely. It'll be years before 5G is a truly viable technology for vehicular use. LTE is mature, stable, and widespread.

Yeah, I'm thinking more future use, since I plan on having this car for 5+ years. Even though 5G will be new in 2020, I'm guessing it will be pretty widespread in 2025, and hopefully they allow simple upgrades to utilize whatever features it offers - some we probably couldn't even imagine today.

I don't know how 5G would even work in a car. The range on those dishes are very small and you'd be zooming around on the highways and roads. In and out of signal in seconds. Additionally there's no way they are going to line the interstate with 5G dishes.

Also, 4G is already fast. Faster than the average home internet connection in the US.

Reactions: jay35
I don't know how 5G would even work in a car. The range on those dishes are very small and you'd be zooming around on the highways and roads. In and out of signal in seconds. Additionally there's no way they are going to line the interstate with 5G dishes.

Also, 4G is already fast. Faster than the average home internet connection in the US.

There's multiple types of 5G - the one you're speaking about is mmWave, which is ultra-fast, but only works over short distances. These would be in heavily dense areas, like urban downtowns, with small-cells on every block.

Less dense areas would use wider band 5G signals, and rural areas could fall back to LTE.

It's funny that every '5G Informational Video' I see talks about things like Smart Cities, Healthcare, and Autonomous/Connected Cars. Maybe V2V or V2G? Guess we won't know the full benefits for several years...

Since the Model Y is coming in late 2020, I'm hoping Tesla is able to put a 5G mmWave modem inside. I understand we're in the early stages of 5G, and more devices (like the 2020 iPhone & most Androids) will have it next year. Plus the lower latency will be helpful in autonomous driving (one of the selling points of 5G).

What are your thoughts on if it will be included? If not, how easy are the modems to replace, and how much do you think Tesla will charge to upgrade from LTE?

Autonomous driving will not rely on the cellular connection. It has to operate without any cellular coverage.

I wish they would come with 5G, as all chips are also backwards compatible, so all you are really doing is future-proofing the car. It was embarrassing how long Tesla took to update to 4G though, so I wouldn't hold out much hope on them being early to jump on 5G. So weird for such a tech-forward company to lag behind on the latest tech, but Elon does have me by a few IQ points so who knows. Lol

At some point Tesla will start using their own satellite based internet. So I wouldn’t be surprised if the car doesn’t support 5g but Tesla satellite internet

Use of Starlink would be fantastic. I believe the current network that tesla uses is AT&T cellular or wifi. We live in a rural area and don't get a good AT&T signal. I use Google FI which is great. Uses T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular systems.

Use of Starlink would be fantastic. I believe the current network that tesla uses is AT&T cellular or wifi. We live in a rural area and don't get a good AT&T signal. I use Google FI which is great. Uses T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular systems.

Musk already said using starlink on teslas is currently not feasible. Would require a phased antenna stuck on the top of the roof and those things are not small

I wish they would come with 5G, as all chips are also backwards compatible, so all you are really doing is future-proofing the car. It was embarrassing how long Tesla took to update to 4G though, so I wouldn't hold out much hope on them being early to jump on 5G. So weird for such a tech-forward company to lag behind on the latest tech, but Elon does have me by a few IQ points so who knows. Lol

The downsides of adopting new cell models early is they tend to cost more & the bugs aren’t worked out yet. With 5G specifically, there’s not much upside as others have pointed out in this thread. So I think it makes sense to pick the older part.

Reactions: preilly44