Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 6-seater Mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone removed the ‘single’ seat from the model Y second row in a 7-seat configuration?
Essentially making it a 6-seater, with easier access to rear seats.

I have a family of 6, with kids ranging from infant to 9. I have delivery of a 7-seater threatening to cancel if I don’t take it soon. But my family really didn’t like the Y 7-seater when we rented I’m on for a full weekend of soccer games, beach, and normal life. Seats were just too inconvenient to work out, with car seats, various sized kids, soccer friends. My wife also felt sick sitting in the second row, which doesn’t usually happen to her.

I think the only way I’d consider it a decent option for my family is if I can remove the single seat side of the second row from the car completely to make the third row easier to access, and give my taller kid some leg room. On the rental it looked possible mechanically, but would love to know if someone has tried it and if the electronics freak out.

I have 4 kids too, and yeah it’s tight in the back of the Y and hard to access. Spry kids can crawl in thru the back tho, especially if you fold down one of the back seats.

I know that they’re more expensive, like a lot, but the X does solve this problem…

I have 4 kids too, and yeah it’s tight in the back of the Y and hard to access. Spry kids can crawl in thru the back tho, especially if you fold down one of the back seats.

I know that they’re more expensive, like a lot, but the X does solve this problem…
I’d have to go used X. It’s a contender, but I worry about maintenance costs on S and X. If the X had sliding van doors instead of wings, I’d be all over it.

Reactions: zpaul and IdaX
I’d have to go used X. It’s a contender, but I worry about maintenance costs on S and X. If the X had sliding van doors instead of wings, I’d be all over it.
With that many people to carry on a regular basis, I'd seriously consider an ICE minivan. We have a 2022 Sienna, and even though there is only 4 of us, the amount of space is amazing.

I personally think the S and X are way too expensive.

Folding the middle seat of the 2nd row down can be a compromise.

I wouldn't modify the car though. To really get legroom, you'll need a car with a larger footprint. The X is a footprint longer than the Y. I considered a used one and decided I didn't need a car that big, but I don't use my 3rd row every week.

Well, one side of the 2nd row 40/60 seat has both seats on the same cushion, so you can remove the back but you'd have to cut the cushion to clear a space for a center isle. Besides the rails down below is not going to be able to accommodate that. On the other hand it's possible to remove the passenger side single seat.