Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 6400 mile road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
Took a road trip 2 weeks ago so (14 days) with the AWD 2020 Model Y with 19” aftermarket light weight wheels (19.6 Lbs each)

This trip took me from San Diego California to Erwin Tennessee, then from Tennessee to Key West Florida. From Key West up the panhandle of Florida and back West to San Diego.

I took my modern spare tire which thankfully I didn’t have to use, also took all of the tools needed to fix a flat and replace the tire.

Tire pressure was set to 46 cold and reached 50psi when temps were 109 degrees in the Arizona area.

I also took my 6” mattress for that back where I would take a 1 hour nap during charger times.

Out of all of the chargers that I stopped to use, at only one station 4 stalls were down out of 8, I just waited 5 minutes to get one to charge. No other issues with all of the Tesla Superchargers I used nationwide.

60% of the Tesla Superchargers were located behind a hotel like Hampton Suites or Holiday Inn and most were located by a Loves Travel Center or a Pilot gas station with many food options.

90% of my drive was on Auto Pilot, so the drive was very pleasant. Weapon against dead bugs on the Windshield & front bumper is glass cleaner with a micro fiber cloth, make sure you bring 3 cans of windshield cleaner to keep those areas super clean. when I stopped to charge I was cleaning bugs off the car, except for areas that were 109 degrees out.

Never had any issues with running low on juice, if the Nav station said you would arrive at your next Supercharger with 10%, you got there with 10%. I always charged enough to arrive with 20% so that I can hit speeds at 75 - 80mph. Only Texas out of all states had the 80mph speed limit sign while other states had 75mph speed limit signs.

If you have anyone questions hit me up.
Boss tip: make sure you hit any Texas BBQ when in Texas, The places I stopped was super good.

Fred

excellent, happy driving.

We just completed long weekend 2500 mile trip on MY-SR-from bay area -LA-Vegas-Bruce canyon-Zion National park-bay area with family( 2 kids), once of the best drive, again we are planning to go Portland next long week end.
Tesla1.JPG

Last edited:
curious if you know how much you spent on supercharging for those 6.4k miles.
I don't drive long distances very often, but I did from LA to Sacramento once and I found its more costly to drive a tesla than a hybrid when it comes to energy paid.

I don't drive long distances very often, but I did from LA to Sacramento once and I found its more costly to drive a tesla than a hybrid when it comes to $ paid for energy/fuel.

I don't drive long distances very often, but I did from LA to Sacramento once and I found its more costly to drive a tesla than a hybrid when it comes to $ paid for energy/fuel.
From San Diego to Erwin Tennessee, $92.00 so triple that for the round trip, so that would be around $276.00 there was free overnight charging at some hotels so a little less.

Fred

Wow, that's a lot of miles in just 14 days...
Only took me 2 days 6 hours to get to Erwin Tennessee, slept 30 minutes to 1 hour at night in the back of the model Y while charging. A cup of coffee every once in a while. 5 day returning back from Key West with 4 overnight hotel stays. Tallahassee, New Orleans, San Antonio and El Paso Texas.

Fred

Not worrying at all, just seeking data points, nothing more :D
I used to be all about the data points, with this car you set the final destination and every time you hit a Supercharger the Nav station tells you how much is needed to continue the trip, So once it tells you to continue you just unplug and go.
F0FED3E9-FF97-4894-BC14-10682DD40FC5.jpeg

D504FA91-603A-4A86-90F9-04ABDB958260.jpeg

EC37A4CD-3B8C-4601-B88E-EFAFDF653851.jpeg