Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 7 seat config - accessing 3rd row with car seat in the second row?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone -

We have ordered our Model Y 7 seat but have a question - How easy is it to get in and out of the 3rd row when there is a car seat front facing in the second row? It's going to be a pain to keep removing car seats each time if someone has to get into the 3rd row. Wondering if anyone has experience with this. Any input or photos of second-row folding with car seat would help. thanks!

The second row is split, so you can install the front facing car seat on the single seat (passenger side). The driver side and middle seat move together. If your car seat is narrow enough on the passenger side, the other two seats can move forward for access to the third row. I have the Diono installed on the single seat and am able to move the other two forward with no issue. I even have an infant car seat base on the driver side and the seat still has room to move forward and pop up.

Reactions: Watts_Up
The second row seats are mounted on sliding rails, so you can easily move them forward.
However if a kid is seating inside this could limit the access.

There are many Youtube video showing the Model Y seats access that I would recommend to look at.
I wonder if Tesla might design a 6 seats version like the Model X, providing easier access and leg room for the 3rd row.

thanks. yeah, 6 seats would be awesome but then not sure if people would opt for the X then.

I have seen a lot of videos but no one has done this specific test where they have two car seats front facing installed on each side of the second row and then they move/recline the second row seats(single-seat or the double) for someone to access the 3rd row.

thanks. yeah, 6 seats would be awesome but then not sure if people would opt for the X then.
Or just fold the back of the center seat could be a way (for kids) to access the 3rd row?
I have seen a lot of videos but no one has done this specific test where they have two car seats front facing installed on each side of the second row and then they move/recline the second row seats(single-seat or the double) for someone to access the 3rd row.
Good point. I think I saw a video testing this particular point. I will try doing some investigation and look in my Youtube history.

The access to the 3rd row is well shown in "It's Kim Java" channel with: The BEST Family Tesla Showdown. 7-Seat Model Y or Model X?

4:19 - show the need to move forward and fold the 2nd row seat.​
8:40 - you could also enter from the trunk...​

Pretty sure it’s possible with two. Here’s a picture of the single-seat moved forward and tilted up. I would imagine it works the same on the double seat as well.

Attachments

• E4F5B9EC-8B95-4E44-A603-FF1A43DF0E55.jpeg
    E4F5B9EC-8B95-4E44-A603-FF1A43DF0E55.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 2,307
Reactions: dyau
Thanks mate. That pic is very helpful. We currently have a MDX and in that we have to remove the car seat, then second row can move forward for someone to get into 3rd row.
I agree. 3rd is really for young kids who can sit there comfortably. We will use this only sometimes when we have family over.

Reactions: YTakingSoLong
How are you guys securing the car seat to the car, lower anchors or seat belt? For lower anchors, the maximum weight of the car seat AND child can't exceed 65lbs. For my car seat (Nuna Rava) using lower anchors the manual lists a weight limit of 40lbs for the child. My 4 year old daughter is almost at that weight limit.

The reason I bring this up is I've noticed in the Model Y that the seat belt is attached to the car's c-pillar and not the seat. That would mean that once the car seat is secured using the seat belt, you wouldn't be able to slide or tilt the seat without messing up the installation.

I guess the takeaway here is if your kid is in a forward facing car seat and weighs 40lbs or more then the car seat must be secured with the car's seat belt and the only way to access the third row is to uninstall the car seat. I don't actually own a Model Y yet, so please someone correct me if I'm missing something.

Reactions: YTakingSoLong
I would strongly encourage you to use a lower profile seat. We have one that can be rear or front facing and it clearly won't work. Our Wayb Pico will. If it has a fairly big base, typically for the younger toddlers/infants you might find it more challenging.

The Wayb is awesome but it is a bit too low for our child to easily see out of the windows yet so she likes the other one better to see. However it doesn't breathe as well or cool off as fast so longer rides she gets pretty sweaty in.

How are you guys securing the car seat to the car, lower anchors or seat belt? For lower anchors, the maximum weight of the car seat AND child can't exceed 65lbs. For my car seat (Nuna Rava) using lower anchors the manual lists a weight limit of 40lbs for the child. My 4 year old daughter is almost at that weight limit.

The reason I bring this up is I've noticed in the Model Y that the seat belt is attached to the car's c-pillar and not the seat. That would mean that once the car seat is secured using the seat belt, you wouldn't be able to slide or tilt the seat without messing up the installation.

I guess the takeaway here is if your kid is in a forward facing car seat and weighs 40lbs or more then the car seat must be secured with the car's seat belt and the only way to access the third row is to uninstall the car seat. I don't actually own a Model Y yet, so please someone correct me if I'm missing something.
That’s a good point. We’re using the LATCH for now and based on how things are going, I don’t think my kid will reach 40lb for another 4 years!

I would strongly encourage you to use a lower profile seat. We have one that can be rear or front facing and it clearly won't work. Our Wayb Pico will. If it has a fairly big base, typically for the younger toddlers/infants you might find it more challenging.

The Wayb is awesome but it is a bit too low for our child to easily see out of the windows yet so she likes the other one better to see. However it doesn't breathe as well or cool off as fast so longer rides she gets pretty sweaty in.
I always thought of running a duct of some sort from the under seat ac to the bottom of carseat.