Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y A/C issues

bghall62

Feb 7, 2018
fort worth, tx
I test drove a MY today for the 2nd time as I try to decide whether to trade my M3 in. Both times the AC didn’t seem to cool very quickly. Just wandering if others have said this is an issue in the MY? This is a big issue for me in Texas heat.

tonyb99

Mar 22, 2020
Tucson
I find the a/c cools the car down very quickly (temps are running 100-110 here). I do however wish I could turn on the passenger vents for more rapid cooling when starting with a hot car.

noshadow

Mar 18, 2020
Berkeley, CA
I find the a/c cools the car down very quickly (temps are running 100-110 here). I do however wish I could turn on the passenger vents for more rapid cooling when starting with a hot car.

You can actually do this by tapping on that side in the graphic when adjusting your own air flow. You can also tap the small "back seat" vents button as well.

Reactions: M0del Yada

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
I turned my AC to max 15 minutes before getting to my car on a 90* day. (It was in the shade though.) Clearly the AC was a lot more powerful than I expected. Imagine my surprise seeing my windows sweating on the outside and a frigid seat.
20200827_193010.jpg

M0del Yada

Jun 23, 2020
Florida
You can actually do this by tapping on that side in the graphic when adjusting your own air flow. You can also tap the small "back seat" vents button as well.

Not to sound dumb... But where is the small back seat button your referring to? I'd love to be able to turn on the back air.

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
Not to sound dumb... But where is the small back seat button your referring to? I'd love to be able to turn on the back air.

Bottom right of the AC screen turns on the back. Tapping where the passenger's side control where the air flow would be if it was on will turn on the passenger's side.

• Helpful
Reactions: M0del Yada

JimCan

Sep 3, 2020
Fountain Hills, AZ
I test drove a MY today for the 2nd time as I try to decide whether to trade my M3 in. Both times the AC didn’t seem to cool very quickly. Just wandering if others have said this is an issue in the MY? This is a big issue for me in Texas heat.
The new heat pump in the Y seems to have some serious issues handling high temperatures as found in Florida, Arizona and Texas. My Y has had a/c issues all summer...I'm in AZ. Seems to me that the new heat pump was not thoroughly tested and Tesla is trying to rework the design of the system to be able to function in hot climates. NOT GOOD!

Protect1989

Jul 14, 2020
Dallas, TX
Glad I found this thread as I’ve been having the same issues.

compared to my Model 3, the a/c in the Y is far worse. I feel like the fan speeds are slower and it take a while for the air to get cold (even then not as cold as the 3). I have mobile service coming out on Tuesday so I’ll ask them about it

ElementPowder

Nov 29, 2017
AZ
The new heat pump in the Y seems to have some serious issues handling high temperatures as found in Florida, Arizona and Texas. My Y has had a/c issues all summer...I'm in AZ. Seems to me that the new heat pump was not thoroughly tested and Tesla is trying to rework the design of the system to be able to function in hot climates. NOT GOOD!

I am in AZ also, My AC had gone out once already and tesla said it was a sensor, its been working better then it was, Not as cold as the Model 3 tho.
My bigger issue i have noticed is my Y drains range with the AC on. My PY i can drive with the AC off and be 250-280 wi/mi. but same drive with AC on it will stay 400-460 (same exact driving around town at about 45mph)

mycroftxxx

Jun 14, 2020
Left Coast
It’s brutally hot in SoCal today; was driving earlier today with an indicated outside air temp (OAT for the aircraft cognoscenti :cool:) of 112, and the AC was cranking but keeping it cool. I could see the effect in my Wh/mi though, maybe about a 10-15% delta from typical for that location (or about the same efficiency degradation as in an ICE car under similar circumstances).

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC