Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y A/C issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a MY today for the 2nd time as I try to decide whether to trade my M3 in. Both times the AC didn’t seem to cool very quickly. Just wandering if others have said this is an issue in the MY? This is a big issue for me in Texas heat.

I turned my AC to max 15 minutes before getting to my car on a 90* day. (It was in the shade though.) Clearly the AC was a lot more powerful than I expected. Imagine my surprise seeing my windows sweating on the outside and a frigid seat.
20200827_193010.jpg

I test drove a MY today for the 2nd time as I try to decide whether to trade my M3 in. Both times the AC didn’t seem to cool very quickly. Just wandering if others have said this is an issue in the MY? This is a big issue for me in Texas heat.
The new heat pump in the Y seems to have some serious issues handling high temperatures as found in Florida, Arizona and Texas. My Y has had a/c issues all summer...I'm in AZ. Seems to me that the new heat pump was not thoroughly tested and Tesla is trying to rework the design of the system to be able to function in hot climates. NOT GOOD!

Glad I found this thread as I’ve been having the same issues.

compared to my Model 3, the a/c in the Y is far worse. I feel like the fan speeds are slower and it take a while for the air to get cold (even then not as cold as the 3). I have mobile service coming out on Tuesday so I’ll ask them about it

The new heat pump in the Y seems to have some serious issues handling high temperatures as found in Florida, Arizona and Texas. My Y has had a/c issues all summer...I'm in AZ. Seems to me that the new heat pump was not thoroughly tested and Tesla is trying to rework the design of the system to be able to function in hot climates. NOT GOOD!

I am in AZ also, My AC had gone out once already and tesla said it was a sensor, its been working better then it was, Not as cold as the Model 3 tho.
My bigger issue i have noticed is my Y drains range with the AC on. My PY i can drive with the AC off and be 250-280 wi/mi. but same drive with AC on it will stay 400-460 (same exact driving around town at about 45mph)

It’s brutally hot in SoCal today; was driving earlier today with an indicated outside air temp (OAT for the aircraft cognoscenti :cool:) of 112, and the AC was cranking but keeping it cool. I could see the effect in my Wh/mi though, maybe about a 10-15% delta from typical for that location (or about the same efficiency degradation as in an ICE car under similar circumstances).