Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Acceleration Deficit Needs Fixing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The table below are the published 0-60 times for the Model 3 and Model Y. Since the Model Y has always been slower than the comparable Model 3 (artificially in some, if not all, cases), I found it interesting that the newly announced RWD Model Y has the same 0-60 as the Model 3.

Model 3 0-60 0-60 Model Y
SR+ RWD 5.3 5.3 SR RWD
LR AWD. 4.2 4.8 LR AWD
LR AWD w/Boost 3.6 4.2 LR AWD w/Boost
Performance 3.1 3.5 Performance

If Tesla is saying that the Model Y is slower because it's slighter larger and heavier, that's fine, but at least make it consistent, since they basically have almost full control over the HP and torque numbers (within reason). If the MYP is .4 seconds slower, then make the MY AWD variants only .4 seconds slower. If the Model Y SR is the same as the Model 3 SR+, then make all of the Model Y variants the same as the Model 3, just be consistent.

My 2 cents...

3.1 to 3.5 is not the same as 4.2 to 4.6 percentage wise.

If a faster person can beat you 0.4 seconds in 3.1 seconds then he/she/model 3 will definitely beat you more than 0.4 seconds after 4.2 seconds.

It looks like the M3 SR+ can go faster if both vehicles have the same battery size. We don't have this information yet, plus they don't want to make the SR+ faster to eat into the RWD LR territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: firerock
I don't expect anyone to agree with me but I feel my MYP is very slow and with tons of Dragy runs right off the charger when hot and when cold it never hits the 3.5 sec times they say it does.

Seems the MYP is the only Tesla measured with a 1ft roll out to get these times? Seems odd they dont keep it the same across the board when making claims?

Sure wish Elon kept his word and gave the MYP track Mode like his tweet back in June. I really was looking towards it.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me but I feel my MYP is very slow and with tons of Dragy runs right off the charger when hot and when cold it never hits the 3.5 sec times they say it does.

Seems the MYP is the only Tesla measured with a 1ft roll out to get these times? Seems odd they dont keep it the same across the board when making claims?

Sure wish Elon kept his word and gave the MYP track Mode like his tweet back in June. I really was looking towards it.
I have a M3 and MY both performance. M3 is much peppier. No doubt even for performance things are different and I do not believe they need to be.