Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y acceleration shudder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My NYP has just started to shudder between 60 and up when accelerating hard. only two months old 5000 miles. Not wheel balance or wheel bearings.Alignment has been checked on Hunter Machine. Wonder if it's a weak or loose motor mount. Have checked all lower bolts . Any thoughts cv are not usually a problem on Model Y.

What ever happened with the shudder issues? I have a 22 MYP and have a shudder (intermittent in intensity) above 30 mph.

Alignment, new tires, road force balance all done.
1. Check all the bolts/nuts on the suspension parts under the car
2. Check all 4 dampers for any leak or sign of damage
3. Check drive shafts for any sign of damage, leak, or excessive play

Well, the problem persists. My three month old MYP has the same issue. It has no alignment ro wheel balance issues. All bolts torqued ok. I have just stripped out front shafts very small amount of play on onboard ends. Inboard is negligible. Wheel bearings fine. TheShould all be back together today and will go through the breakin procedure to see if that helps.

So, new shafts installed all back to normal
, Putting moly grease on shafts also helped clicking when moving off. The amount of play in shafts that I removed was really small never thought it was enough to cause so much vibration. Did about 33 miles In low speed to run shafts in. Will keep you updated on developments but so far so good.

I power cycled the car and seems much better. I have no vibration now that the wheels and tires are in order. Wife says car feels just as smooth as my 21 LR now. I'm still going to check everything over because I still have the intermittent low volume clunk from front driver side.

Just changed both drive shafts. There was minimal slack in the CV joints but enough to cause the shuddering, so new drive shafts no vibration.
Front or rear? I checked all my axles and rear has no movement at all. Front axles, especially driver side, has a lot of slack in it.

BTW shudder is back but the intensity is intermittent. Most noticeable at 35 mph.

• Informative
Reactions: GBMaryland
Hi folks,

Just picked up my MY last weekend. Only a couple hundred miles on it. I noticed a shudder that lasts about a second or so, randomly while driving on the highway. It's happened 3 or 4 times. I also have an offset steering wheel that I'm having looked at tomorrow. I'll mention the shudder to them and see what they say.

Joe K.
Are you guys sure you’re not experiencing the shutter that happens in the steering wheel when you drive over the lines without putting your blinkers on?

I know that seems obvious… But I’m kind of curious if that’s what you’re talking about….

Are you guys sure you’re not experiencing the shutter that happens in the steering wheel when you drive over the lines without putting your blinkers on?

I know that seems obvious… But I’m kind of curious if that’s what you’re talking about….
Definitely not the case for me. I have all those disabled and it still does it.

UPDATE: Neighbor has a two post lift in his garage so we lifted the Tesla today. Took a pry bar to various areas carefully to try and create the noise in the front suspension.

I noticed a couple things:

1) The front motor seems to have an awful lot of movement in its mounts. Is this normal?
2) CV axles in the front have very very minimal amount of movement when we tugged on them today. The rear axles have zero movement.
3) Rear wheels seem to spin freely with no binding but the driver rear makes a very faint noise and has a small amount of play when tugging on it and the 12 and 6 position.

The clanking sound I have coming from the front we can't seem to locate. The shuddering seems to be intermittent in intensity but can be reproduced 100% at 35 mph. When I put the heavier factory wheels on the car the shuddering is still there but less noticeable I am guessing because of the extra weight. The steering rack is also tight. No problems with sway bars or links.

My neighbor, not an expert on electric cars, seemed to think it could be something electronic going on. He suggested it could possibly just be manifesting itself at those speeds. It makes sense because the shuddering feels like a car with traction control kicking on where it is dropping power. It feels like slipping. Another thing I would compare it to is driving against a 60 mph headwind where the wind is blowing at the car.

We are both stumped as to how to figure this out. I hooked up scan my Tesla last night and there is no power reduction when this is happening and the front motor isn't even engaged at all. The front motor doesn't do anything unless I go hard on the go pedal. If I am just putting around town the car is sending 100% to the rear motor. Whatever is going on I don't think it is happening with the front motor because at those speeds the front motor is doing nothing...no regen and no power according to scan my Tesla.

I am completely stumped on this. Car has the FSD beta 10.69.2.3. I am clearly hearing a clank from the front and on a car this new I am thinking all these problems are probably related. Otherwise I am having really bad luck.

I think the front knocking is from back lash on the gears at the front. I even thought it might be the brake pads moving in the calipers, nope. Having new drive shafts when installing I then I know it's not them. The kicking on take-up is the splines on the shafts. I put moly grease on them and it was fine for a couple of hours then came back . So my money is on backlash