Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y acceleration shudder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gaston

Mar 1, 2016
Netherlands
I've been a happy owner of a Model X for the past 3 years, but the acceleration shudder has often been an annoyance.

As the root cause of the shudder being a misaligned front motor level, I'm now wondering if the Model Y SUV might suffer from te same problem.

It took the Model X usually 6000 miles / 10000 km before the shudder became noticable,.so perhaps not many Model Y owners may already be in that area. Yet, I'm curious if any of you have noticed the dreaded acceleration shudder on your Model Y

I have a 7 seat Model Y on order, but shudder could be a showstopper for me.

• Informative
Reactions: CO_MY
I think what you are describe is cause by the large amplitude motion of the Model X suspension.
I read that when in lower setting the noise disappear.

The Model Y use Spring, this problem might not occur because of the lesser suspension motion, but this is just an hypothesis.

I've been a happy owner of a Model X for the past 3 years, but the acceleration shudder has often been an annoyance.

As the root cause of the shudder being a misaligned front motor level, I'm now wondering if the Model Y SUV might suffer from te same problem.

It took the Model X usually 6000 miles / 10000 km before the shudder became noticable,.so perhaps not many Model Y owners may already be in that area. Yet, I'm curious if any of you have noticed the dreaded acceleration shudder on your Model Y

I have a 7 seat Model Y on order, but shudder could be a showstopper for me.
X had that issue, there is a Service Bulletin for that exact problem. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162295-9999.pdf New redisigned part fixes it.
As for Y, that issue is not present, different suspension system. Also be ready for realistic expectations, look around web for how the 7 seater will be, for some it'll be less practical, especially if they come form an X. My 2 cents.

• Helpful
Reactions: CO_MY
Not really relevant to this thread but reading the bulletin shown above it states older Model S/X vehicles. We test drove a brand new Raven X with 64 miles on it recently, suspension on low, the knocking and clunking in the front upon full acceleration was prevalent and was the same issue we have had 2 times on our 2018 which was repaired twice. Hopefully ours is corrected but time will tell. I feel a bit uneasy about the new part fixing this since the brand new car experienced it

Any Model Y drivers here with over 10.000 miles? Shudder on the Model X often returns after 7000 - 10.000 miles, even with the new motor mount fix and also on low suspension.

Curious to know if acceleration shudder occurs on the Model Y, as it is an SUV with a possible non-aligned motor-axis level.

Reactions: Fiddler
We have had a vibration in the steering wheel / front area that comes and goes. Only at high speed (above 60 mph). I torqued the wheel nuts, and it has helped. But has not fully resolved.

This might be the lane departure warning feature. If so, it will vibrate if/when you start to swerve out of your lane. Easy to test....swerve on purpose, or turn off the feature.

If torquing the lug nuts helped, that’s concerning and probably not lane departure warning.

(Yeah, this totally isn't FUD.. :rolleyes:

Model Y is based on the Model 3--something like 70% reuse. No acceleration shudder on the Model 3, Tesla's most popular and highest volume vehicle, so be extra careful not to bring it up.

Keep on conflating an old resolved Model X issue with Model Y. o_O

TSLA: $2247/sh right now)

Hi folks,

Just picked up my MY last weekend. Only a couple hundred miles on it. I noticed a shudder that lasts about a second or so, randomly while driving on the highway. It's happened 3 or 4 times. I also have an offset steering wheel that I'm having looked at tomorrow. I'll mention the shudder to them and see what they say.

Joe K.

Hi folks,

Just picked up my MY last weekend. Only a couple hundred miles on it. I noticed a shudder that lasts about a second or so, randomly while driving on the highway. It's happened 3 or 4 times. I also have an offset steering wheel that I'm having looked at tomorrow. I'll mention the shudder to them and see what they say.

Joe K.
What was the response from the SC?