Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you all for the detailed responses. I feel lucky my family walked out of the car with minor bruises. Could have been so much worse.

I'd rather prefer the car is totaled and will try to fight that. Adding more pictures.

Q1: Gathering comparables on Tesla site, Carvana, Carmax. Would you recommend any other sites?

Attachments

• Airbags.jpg
    Airbags.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Rear.jpeg
    Rear.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Passenger rear.jpeg
    Passenger rear.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG-6494.jpg
    IMG-6494.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG-6491.jpg
    IMG-6491.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Image Front Left.jpeg
    Image Front Left.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Front Right_crop.jpg
    Front Right_crop.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Front Right.jpg
    Front Right.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Driver Side.jpeg
    Driver Side.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Driver side 2.jpeg
    Driver side 2.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Informative
Reactions: Mike_TV
Photos are painful to see. It looks like the rear hatch is "sprung" a bit, or it could just be the OEM QC (uneven gap)

Thanks for all the input on this. Totally understand the "hidden" damage re: an adjuster's limits.

I don't have serious accident experience. My wife and I have totaled over a hundred combined years of driving, most serious accident was a standing-still rear-end collision, 1987 Audi 4000S. Car was doing 35mph. Audi was repaired, drove beautifully another 110k miles. Sigh...simpler times (???)

Thank you all for the detailed responses. I feel lucky my family walked out of the car with minor bruises. Could have been so much worse.

I'd rather prefer the car is totaled and will try to fight that. Adding more pictures.

Q1: Gathering comparables on Tesla site, Carvana, Carmax. Would you recommend any other sites?
Did you always have that huge gap around the passenger side of the rear hatch? If not then the whole car got twisted... if you did normal Tesla QA/QC :D

Keith

Since you're directly asking--it's relevant for us to chime in here. We have an instant offer program as well, but it's tailored to the EV/Tesla crowd. You can check it out here.

If you're simply doing pricing research, we have an "include sold listings" function on our listings page here that allows you to do pricing research. Any questions, let us know!

Not sure if that's $45k worth of damage. However, I heard from a friend of mine, who is a bodyshop owner, that insurance companies are more likely to declare total-loss for the Model 3/Ys nowadays because the salvaged value for parts are becoming more attractive. I guess you can say the sum of the parts are definitely worth more than the whole in this case.

Last edited:
Not sure if that's $45k worth of damage. However, I heard from a friend of mine, who is a bodyshop owner, that insurance companies are more likely to declare total-loss for the Model 3/Ys nowadays because the salvaged value for parts are becoming more attractive. I guess you can say the sum of the parts are definitely worth more than the whole in this case.
Thank you. I would prefer a total loss too considering the extensive damages. Any ideas on how to extract a new car value? Geico does not carry a new car insurance. Mine was 2021 model 6 months old with 3K miles. Any ideas on how to extract the maximum in my scenario.

Thank you. I would prefer a total loss too considering the extensive damages. Any ideas on how to extract a new car value? Geico does not carry a new car insurance. Mine was 2021 model 6 months old with 3K miles. Any ideas on how to extract the maximum in my scenario.
Insurance companies are obligated to make you "whole" in case of loss. Hence, whatever the cost is for you to find a like-for-like replacement, that's what they'll have to pay. With continued high-demand and rising Model Y prices, that replacement $$$ would be on the high end.

In the current market, the slightly used ones are sometimes more than the new ones. Thus, provided that the insurance company declares it a total loss, I wouldn't worry too much about being underwater with the payout.

Not sure how it is in PA but in CA, the total loss is calculated as follows;

Car's FMV - Cost of repairs - salvage value = <=0, i.e.

50000 - 25000 - 30000 = -5000, hence the car would be totaled.

Last edited:
Reactions: athlon
I also just got involved in a hydroplaning accident just yesterday. I'm sure it's a total loss. But extremely thankful to have me, the wife and kids walk out of this with no injuries!!

Attachments

• IMG_20211222_162602.jpg
    IMG_20211222_162602.jpg
    917 KB · Views: 92