Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Model Y got accident last week. Unfortunately, the dashcam data/videos are not available. The car was on Auto-Pilot at that time. The accident happens during an auto lane change(ALC). Is there a way I can get data from Tesla and see what really happened?Is there some one Tesla can interpret the data? Is auto lane change(ALC) legal in California ?

Our Model Y got accident last week. Unfortunately, the dashcam data/videos are not available. The car was on Auto-Pilot at that time. The accident happens during an auto lane change(ALC). Is there a way I can get data from Tesla and see what really happened?Is there some one Tesla can interpret the data? Is auto lane change(ALC) legal in California ?
Sorry about the accident, never fun.

Are you hinting at this being Tesla’s fault? The legalese clearly says (for all manufacturers) that YOU are responsible for driving. Not the answer you want to hear.

Tesla may want to know more to help their programming but in the grand scheme of things, this autopilot thing is still very much in its infancy.

The $12K for FSD is WAY overpriced for what it provides.

Reactions: cwerdna
How on EARTH is this relevant to the OP?

OP .. very sorry to hear about this. it's unlikely you will be able to get much info from Tesla, but its worth a try, as they may want to discuss the accident if AP was involved as you say.
Possibly not; but OP is suggesting that ALC might not be legal in CA. One may conclude he is hinting that the accident may be Tesla’s fault. Take it further, one may conclude he is placing too much confidence in FSD, which costs a ton of money and provides little benefit (yet). ALC is only available with FSD.

I could also be wrong, not the first time. Ask my wife.

OP is no doubt upset that this happened, I would be too. I also backed into another car with my Tesla and the car didn’t try to stop itself, it was all my fault.

Hi, I have an EDR from an accident where I'm trying to determine if the vehicle had unintended acceleration. I drove in an entrance to a Freeway in LA that monitors the flow by a traffic light...I slammed into the back of a Toyota Tundra, my 2015 crumbled like a crushed coke can. Not going fast, airbags deployed and my ears are still ringing. NO ONE WAS hurt but the Tesla was totaled...I was reimbursed for the Tesla, so I have no ax to grind. However, if it was the vehicle's fault, then Elon Musk should remedy the problem. Here's the data, what's your opinion?
You can request your data from Tesla, but it will be "blackbox" data, no video. Here is an example EDR report.

Attachments

• Tesla Screen Capture.jpg
    Tesla Screen Capture.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 99
I'm not sure how that data supports the unintended assertion .. it looks as if the accelerator was depressed until -2.0 seconds, at which point the brake is pressed (approx) and the car starts slowing down. Any unintended event should show the car accelerating with no application of the accelerator, which doesnt seem to be the case here.

Hi, I have an EDR from an accident where I'm trying to determine if the vehicle had unintended acceleration. I drove in an entrance to a Freeway in LA that monitors the flow by a traffic light...I slammed into the back of a Toyota Tundra, my 2015 crumbled like a crushed coke can. Not going fast, airbags deployed and my ears are still ringing. NO ONE WAS hurt but the Tesla was totaled...I was reimbursed for the Tesla, so I have no ax to grind. However, if it was the vehicle's fault, then Elon Musk should remedy the problem. Here's the data, what's your opinion?

The change in incremental speed for the given throttle positions appears normal. The throttle % rolls back with an expected proportional delta reduction in kph.

The change in incremental speed for the given throttle positions appears normal. The throttle % rolls back with an expected proportional delta reduction in kph.
That's my interpretation too .. notice that ABS is applied in the last second so clearly the driver was braking hard in an attempt to avoid the collision. I don't see anything to indicate the car was doing anything abnormal.

That's my interpretation too .. notice that ABS is applied in the last second so clearly the driver was braking hard in an attempt to avoid the collision. I don't see anything to indicate the car was doing anything abnormal.
Yikes! That means the abnormal was me, the driver. As a senior, super senior, I'd be concerned if my brain took a quick nap.
Then, I would have to check out the brain with a ct scan to determine if an earlier head injury could be at fault...Like all autos, the human body also deteriorates...Bummer.

Yikes! Does that mean the abnormal was me, the driver. As a senior, super senior, I'd be concerned if my brain took a quick nap.
Then, I would have to check out the brain with a ct scan to determine if an earlier head injury could be at fault...Like all autos, the human body also deteriorates...Bummer.
Thank you for your input...