Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a new Model Y and have been driving it for a few weeks. According to the car, I've consumed about 185 Wh/km over the entire time. However, if I go with the Tesla App's charging stats, it actually works out to 279 Wh/km. If I consider energy as charged rather than as delivered, it's 317 Wh.

My guess is that the extra consumption is from preconditioning, occasional sentry mode, and other vampire losses while parked. It seems that Tesla is not counting consumption when parked, and the app is also not showing charging losses. There really should be an option to see this, since I pay for electricity consumed, not the electricity actually delivered to the car.

Anyway, even with that I'm still paying about 5x less than I would for gas in my previous car.

Has anyone ever done comparisons like this for other cars too? It would be interesting to know the "true" consumption between different models, especially for those living where electricity may be a lot more expensive.

Car states lifetime average driving is 313w/mile where as calculating total power from wall connector comes out to high 400’s due to the things you mentioned + lots of dog mode.

My energy rates vary by season but average to $0.38/kWh. $0.20/mile is still less than gasoline especially if you consider idle time.

I often leave my kiddo in the car sleeping when we get home and set my phone on face time and dog mode on. Parked in the garage this would be impossible with ICE but I’ll gladly pay for it with EV.

Reactions: sir-murphius
Does Cabin protection still take up juice if it doesn't have to activate? I noticed the new energy app still doesn't count climate usage while parked (I guess it doesn't count as preconditioning?) and dumps it in the "other" category.

Being able to use climate without gas fumes is a huge plus though!

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Does Cabin protection still take up juice if it doesn't have to activate? I noticed the new energy app still doesn't count climate usage while parked (I guess it doesn't count as preconditioning?) and dumps it in the "other" category.

Being able to use climate without gas fumes is a huge plus though!
Cabin Overheat Protection only draws energy when it's enabled and active (i.e. the cabin temp exceeds the temp threshold). It won't turn on when your battery energy drops below 20%.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Climate Controls

I also have a bit of a gap between what the car says I've used, and what the power company says I've used. I figure it's mostly HVAC activity while parked and plugged in (which is energy usage but not "charging"), like scheduled preconditioning before I leave for work. Also charging losses which I think are usually around 10% for a 240v charger.

I bought a new Model Y and have been driving it for a few weeks. According to the car, I've consumed about 185 Wh/km over the entire time. However, if I go with the Tesla App's charging stats, it actually works out to 279 Wh/km. If I consider energy as charged rather than as delivered, it's 317 Wh.

My guess is that the extra consumption is from preconditioning, occasional sentry mode, and other vampire losses while parked. It seems that Tesla is not counting consumption when parked, and the app is also not showing charging losses. There really should be an option to see this, since I pay for electricity consumed, not the electricity actually delivered to the car.

Anyway, even with that I'm still paying about 5x less than I would for gas in my previous car.

Has anyone ever done comparisons like this for other cars too? It would be interesting to know the "true" consumption between different models, especially for those living where electricity may be a lot more expensive.
There are apps that can monitor consumption of the car while parked and the efficiency during charging. The values you record depends a lot on your circumstances and behaviour.
Does your car goes to sleep while plugged, sentry mode on, super slow charging so on? If the car does not go to sleep, it can easily take about 5,4kWh in 24h vs 0,3kWh in 24h if it goes to sleep. I sometimes charge from domestic plug and limit the power but by doing so, the car stay awake long time and is adding up on energy consumption.
Pre-condition especially on temperatures below zero. The car will warm up battery as well and will take substantial amount of energy to do so. I stop pre-conditioning for short drives or turn that on only 5 mins before driving.

I document some of these aspects on my channel:
Vampire drain with/without sentry mode

Energy consumption to warm up battery