Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y aftermarket instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a long time X and S owner but just ordered a Y. One of the big things I didn’t like about the Y was the lack of an instrument cluster so I will prob add an aftermarket one. I’m reaching out to anyone who has installed an aftermarket instrument cluster in a Y to see which one you decided to go with, and why, and the pros and cons of them. I’ve read they can sometime stop working after Tesla software updates until the screens are updated through USB? What’s the difficulty accessing the electrical connectors to install? Pics of yours installed would be appreciated as well.

To each his/her own but I don't get why folks are so eager to add these un-certified dashboards to the M3/Y. I love geeking out on gadgets too but these devices are bound to be problematic down the road IMO. These are technically "tapping-in" to the original factory wiring and one little short in the harness, it can potentially cause a malfunction to the entire vehicle as you drive. Good luck explaining that to Tesla to get warranty coverage.

I’m a long time X and S owner but just ordered a Y. One of the big things I didn’t like about the Y was the lack of an instrument cluster so I will prob add an aftermarket one.
I though the same way before getting my Model Y. I was sure I'd want some sort of center cluster or perhaps a head up display but after driving it I can wholeheartedly say I no longer do. The center console really, really works as is, and I never long for additional indicators. I know it may be hard to believe, but I think once you get the Y and drive for a while you may find yourself in the same boat. fwiw, I didn't believe when people told me this either. Give it a shot.

I though the same way before getting my Model Y. I was sure I'd want some sort of center cluster or perhaps a head up display but after driving it I can wholeheartedly say I no longer do. The center console really, really works as is, and I never long for additional indicators. I know it may be hard to believe, but I think once you get the Y and drive for a while you may find yourself in the same boat. fwiw, I didn't believe when people told me this either. Give it a shot.
+1 !! It's amazing what you get used to in just 16 short months after you've been driving for better part of 35 years with a traditional gauge cluster. I drove a Model S for two days while my Y was in the shop getting recall work done. I actually found the cluster in the S blocking my view over the dash. lol!

Reactions: mrwug
To each his/her own but I don't get why folks are so eager to add these un-certified dashboards to the M3/Y. I love geeking out on gadgets too but these devices are bound to be problematic down the road IMO. These are technically "tapping-in" to the original factory wiring and one little short in the harness, it can potentially cause a malfunction to the entire vehicle as you drive. Good luck explaining that to Tesla to get warranty coverage.
I don’t think a short in the wiring harness for the dash would cause a malfunction with the entire car. Hopefully Tesla didn’t put all of their eggs in one basket when it comes it electronics.
But just like tuning a car, you pay to play. If something goes wrong you just need to be ready to pay up.

Not to mention how dumb they look 😑

don’t waste your money!
It’s gonna be second nature to look at the center screen.
My first Tesla and it took me a couple of weeks to get completely used to looking at upper left corner of center screen for speed. I've also enjoyed the in-app navigation (with Waze also on my phone mount for longer trips), Spotify, and my USB SSD hard drive for music. It also works well with texts for me.

The lack of instrument cluster in the Y was one of my concerns when thinking about buying it, so I was kind of shocked by how quickly I got used to it even on the test drive. The fact that I got completely used to the lack of instrument cluster during the test drive was one of the reasons that cemented my decision to purchase the MYP. I have not missed having an instrument cluster in front of me for even one second since taking delivery.

Reactions: rjpjnk
I don’t think a short in the wiring harness for the dash would cause a malfunction with the entire car. Hopefully Tesla didn’t put all of their eggs in one basket when it comes it electronics.
But just like tuning a car, you pay to play. If something goes wrong you just need to be ready to pay up.
Haha, yes, you do have to pay to play. I am just saying it will be in the thousands (if not more) if you mess up in this case. :eek: Cuz you will be at Tesla's mercy to pay whatever they want to get new modules plus risk losing warranty coverage for good.

I am sure there are redundancies built into some of the more critical systems. However, even a small short in a wiring harness can have a domino-effect on all the modules it's connected to. If you are familiar with European cars, where all modules operate on AGP 12V batteries, you know that even a slight (as little as 1.5v) reduction in voltage/amps going to vehicle control modules could cause it to go into "limp" mode. It'll light-up your "dashboard" like a Christmas tree. No pun intended. Well, maybe a tiny one. LOL!

I don't have a need or desire for one of these either. I think it just clutters up the dash. I also don't understand why the popular ones I've seen are touchscreen, as you'd have to reach through the wheel or around it to change the display.

Reactions: saltsman
I'd love to have an HUD, I did buy the Hansshow one they sold for a while, however I had major issues in getting firmware updates when Tesla updated the data stream (CAN bus I guess) in a way that was incompatible. Hansshow even sent me other HW, which allowed me to do firmware updates, but that HW stopped working after 3 weeks. No response from their support since then (one year ago or so).

So with that experience I would definitely not recommend to buy this kind of aftermarket equipment, might make an exception if development and support was done in US/Canada/Europe.

BTW: I'm now used to the center screen display so hardly miss the HUD anymore, would get it immediately though if Tesla offered it.