Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Aims to Be Tesla's Real Mass Market Hit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s first shot at a mass-market EV was definitely the Model 3, which was not only the best-selling electric but also the best-selling luxury car in America last year. But, it’s the upcoming Model Y and it’s appeal to people’s preference for crossover SUVs that the company is betting to be its biggest hit. “I...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/06/04/model-y-aims-teslas-mass-market-hit/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Tesla’s first shot at a mass-market EV was definitely the Model 3, which was not only the best-selling electric but also the best-selling luxury car in America last year. But, it’s the upcoming Model Y and it’s appeal to people’s preference for crossover SUVs that the company is betting to be its biggest hit. “I...
Ty, bit of a stretch classifying a model 3 as a luxury car. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla Model 3 = #1 Luxury Car In USA | CleanTechnica

This and many other articles. Sorry, but it is grouped with MB C class, several Lexus and BMW. That is just what it is.

More importantly, that is what buyers are doing in their minds and with their wallets. As the chart's sales figures show, they are buying the Model 3 instead of MB C , Lexus IS or GS, or BMW 3/4 series small sedans.

Reactions: X Fan and EinSV

This and many other articles. Sorry, but it is grouped with MB C class, several Lexus and BMW. That is just what it is.
I don't disagree that it's grouped there it just shouldn't be. IMHO the fit, finish, build quality and level of luxury is not in the same class. Now that being said if I was in the market for that class of car I'd buy a model 3 over any of those but it wouldn't be because it's as luxurious.

I don't disagree that it's grouped there it just shouldn't be. IMHO the fit, finish, build quality and level of luxury is not in the same class. Now that being said if I was in the market for that class of car I'd buy a model 3 over any of those but it wouldn't be because it's as luxurious.

As the owner of 3 recent BMW 3 series (335 and X3) I would disagree. The BMW level of luxury is rather meager tons of plastic panels. Even my near $55,000 2016 X3 with almost every option is not luxurious. It has a lot of gadgets and a HUD that I wish every Tesla had, especially the Model 3. The fit in terms of panel alignment is good in these cars, but they rattle and squeak more than my Model X. I spent an afternoon driving down country roads listening for rattles, and stopping to tighten interior screws to get rid of some on the X3. FWIW, my daughter's Honda Civic makes fewer squeaks and rattles than the BMWs, and her paint had fewer issues.

Luxury is in the eye of the beholder. I think it is luxurious, you don’t. We are both entitled to opinions even if yours is wrong :) But... you critiqued the author above for simply reusing a sales ranking that categorized the 3 as luxury, not for expressing an opinion.

Luxury is in the eye of the beholder. I think it is luxurious, you don’t. We are both entitled to opinions even if yours is wrong :) But... you critiqued the author above for simply reusing a sales ranking that categorized the 3 as luxury, not for expressing an opinion.
Since you're only partially pyscho I can accept that.

Yeah. Because if you compare a Model 3 with Honda Civic (which is more accurate) it gets trounced in sales.

Model 3 has a luxury price and performance with none of what really make a luxury vehicle.

And for those who disagree, get back to me when the Model 3 has a heated steering wheel

Yeah. Because if you compare a Model 3 with Honda Civic (which is more accurate) it gets trounced in sales.

Model 3 has a luxury price and performance with none of what really make a luxury vehicle.

And for those who disagree, get back to me when the Model 3 has a heated steering wheel

When Honda adds heating steering wheels to the Civic, that will be the ultimate in luxury! Watch out Bentley.

/rolls eyes

It’s a luxury for me to sit back and crack a cold one while the car handles most of the driving for me.

You can also admire my panel gaps for a split second before I burn you at the light.

Getting back on topic.... I will buy a model Y, but I won't put any deposits down because of my model 3 experience where it paid to wait it out until the end of a quarter and get a deal. I guess in this aspect Tesla actually IS a car company. Let's hope Tesla can survive on their ZEV credits instead of deposits until 2021 when I would buy.