TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model Y Aims to Be Tesla's Real Mass Market Hit

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by Ty_McMahan, Jun 4, 2019.

1. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Chinese manufactures already have started getting a global footprint. Buick small SUVs are made in China. And other manufactures are looking to China to make their EV models.

2. jboy210

I have made one 400+ mile trip. I think the extra range would have saved me one 20 minute stop. Not worth the $12K more.

3. Alset4S

Alset4S Member

I don't disagree not worth extra cost. Not sure I agree with your 20 min statement. I make a 289 mile trip to my daughters house every 6 weeks or so. I need to charge 50-60 minutes each way. The charger is 10 minutes from the exit adding another 20 minutes. I've made a 900 mile road trip and a 2800+ mile road trip. I've never had any kind of range anxiety but the majority of charging times are greater than 40 minutes.

4. jboy210

How far do you run the car down? I get to 10% or so, sometimes lower. Then I charge to 70-80%. The charging rate tapers so much after 70% I found it is really is not worth going beyond that unless you really need the range to get to the next Supercharger. Fortunately there are plenty of Superchargers around most of my travels and they just off the interstate.

5. Fred42

Fred42 Member

Do you have the 18 inch wheels? If not, that might help.

6. jboy210

Exactly. No need to heating just the steering wheel in an EV. Set the temp on you phone app to 72F and the car is 72F before you get in. That is the steering wheel, seats, windshield, cup holders, etc are all at 72F.

Congrats on you M3.

FWIW here is a video showing a guy timing the pre-heating of his Tesla. Outside air temp is 7F (-14C). Interior started at 30F (-1C). Took 14 minutes to get interior to 80F (27C)

7. Alset4S

Alset4S Member

On road trips I always use Nav because it tells where I need to charge and how much I need to charge to reach the next charger or my destination.

8. cdub

cdub Future Model 3 owner / Current original Leaf owner

Which battery do you have?

9. Alset4S

Alset4S Member

75D

• Informative x 1
  10. OtisJ

OtisJ Member

A better Range would be nice :(