Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Aims to Be Tesla's Real Mass Market Hit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has gone step-wise into market. Y will be probably 2x the 3 volumes. They are not ready for corolla volumes with Y. Nor is the cost of technology ready for corolla volumes. That’s probably 2025. However... not clear Tesla is even gunning for that. There’s been little jabber from Tesla about a cheaper car. Much more about autonomous car sharing. I suspect they’d prefer to grow that market than go all out for low price volume.

It is too early to talk about someone else “winning” in EV price/volume. Unless the Chinese manufacturers get a more global footprint, as they are the only ones at same scale as Tesla. Maybe VW will get there quickly, but far too early to assess.

Chinese manufactures already have started getting a global footprint. Buick small SUVs are made in China. And other manufactures are looking to China to make their EV models.

I have made one 400+ mile trip. I think the extra range would have saved me one 20 minute stop. Not worth the $12K more.
I don't disagree not worth extra cost. Not sure I agree with your 20 min statement. I make a 289 mile trip to my daughters house every 6 weeks or so. I need to charge 50-60 minutes each way. The charger is 10 minutes from the exit adding another 20 minutes. I've made a 900 mile road trip and a 2800+ mile road trip. I've never had any kind of range anxiety but the majority of charging times are greater than 40 minutes.

I don't disagree not worth extra cost. Not sure I agree with your 20 min statement. I make a 289 mile trip to my daughters house every 6 weeks or so. I need to charge 50-60 minutes each way. The charger is 10 minutes from the exit adding another 20 minutes. I've made a 900 mile road trip and a 2800+ mile road trip. I've never had any kind of range anxiety but the majority of charging times are greater than 40 minutes.

How far do you run the car down? I get to 10% or so, sometimes lower. Then I charge to 70-80%. The charging rate tapers so much after 70% I found it is really is not worth going beyond that unless you really need the range to get to the next Supercharger. Fortunately there are plenty of Superchargers around most of my travels and they just off the interstate.

My wife and I both have poor circulation and heated steering wheels were a must-have for us. That is, until my son pointed out how easy it is to have the whole car warmed up inside before you get in. We bought an M3 and love it.

Exactly. No need to heating just the steering wheel in an EV. Set the temp on you phone app to 72F and the car is 72F before you get in. That is the steering wheel, seats, windshield, cup holders, etc are all at 72F.

Congrats on you M3.

FWIW here is a video showing a guy timing the pre-heating of his Tesla. Outside air temp is 7F (-14C). Interior started at 30F (-1C). Took 14 minutes to get interior to 80F (27C)

How far do you run the car down? I get to 10% or so, sometimes lower. Then I charge to 70-80%. The charging rate tapers so much after 70% I found it is really is not worth going beyond that unless you really need the range to get to the next Supercharger. Fortunately there are plenty of Superchargers around most of my travels and they just off the interstate.
On road trips I always use Nav because it tells where I need to charge and how much I need to charge to reach the next charger or my destination.

Which battery do you have?