Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Aims to Be Tesla's Real Mass Market Hit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last I heard Tesla sells cars across the globe. How do sales stack up in that regard?

The California microcosm is wholly irrelevant to Tesla’s growth strategy.
Not exactly "wholly irrelevant" as it it their "home base".
side note: Tesla is only allowed in about 1/3 of the US States to have stores & service centers.
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/f..._publish_494/c1b07adc974c29627692178817fb3c53

Places to look for sales numbers:

EV sales Scorecard (updated often)
Update 4: Monthly Plug-In EV Sales Scorecard: May 2019
look for articles about sales numbers
Cleantech News — #1 In EV, Solar, Wind, Tesla News | CleanTechnica
Data Base you can search
GCBC

PS- Tesla is not a century old OEM - they are not available everywhere - continue to expand
recent summary of Tesla sales. Starts in CA but covers other areas - read to the end.
13 Amazing Tesla Sales Milestones (+ 17 Charts) | CleanTechnica

Last edited:
Luxury is in the eye of the beholder. I think it is luxurious, you don’t. We are both entitled to opinions even if yours is wrong :) But... you critiqued the author above for simply reusing a sales ranking that categorized the 3 as luxury, not for expressing an opinion.
Agree. I too think it is luxurious but recognise that I am a futurist and minimalist. Some like lots of buttons and fussy touches.

I have my doubts. The fastback Model Y looks too much like the Honda Crosstour - both SUV and car buyers ignored the "Tweener" vehicle.

We love our Model 3, but we weren't looking for a SUV. If I want an SUV, I'm looking for the somewhat vertical rear glass.

I'm sure the Model Y will sell OK, and we might buy one, but I don't think it'll sell more than the CR-V or Rav4. Happy to be proven wrong.

Tesla’s first shot at a mass-market EV was definitely the Model 3, which was not only the best-selling electric but also the best-selling luxury car in America last year. But, it’s the upcoming Model Y and it’s appeal to people’s preference for crossover SUVs that the company is betting to be its biggest hit. “I...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/06/04/model-y-aims-teslas-mass-market-hit/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
I'm a proud owner of a MS BUT I must admit either MS or M3 is not really a luxury car, at least not by their interior but by their price yes.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
I don't disagree that it's grouped there it just shouldn't be. IMHO the fit, finish, build quality and level of luxury is not in the same class. Now that being said if I was in the market for that class of car I'd buy a model 3 over any of those but it wouldn't be because it's as luxurious.

Luxury cars aren't defined exclusively by their materials, fit, and finish anymore.

If so, a base 3-series wouldn't be anywhere near a luxury car, either. There's nothing special about my friend's base F20 3-series with Sensatec interior compared to a Model 3. Sure, go with the top-level leather and trim options and such and it's a much nicer interior as far as materials and such, but $ for $ the Model 3 and BMW are similarly appointed.

Further, my last 3 cars were BMWs (all 2015 or newer) and I still have one of them. I'd say overall the materials/fit/finish are better, but there are also ways the Model 3 is more luxurious. The tech is superior in the 3. The app is like iPhone X vs iPhone 3G as far as function/response/uptime. Autopilot, obviously. The ride and performance are also both far superior, and that's something that has long defined German luxury cars.

It may not be a luxury car in the old sense of the word, but there are some pretty spartan "luxury cars," now, like base 3 series and CLAs, and the definition of "luxury car" is changing somewhat.

Reactions: WVhybrid
I don't disagree that it's grouped there it just shouldn't be. IMHO the fit, finish, build quality and level of luxury is not in the same class. Now that being said if I was in the market for that class of car I'd buy a model 3 over any of those but it wouldn't be because it's as luxurious.
If fit, finish, and build quality are your primary determinants of luxury, then the number one selling sedan in America, the Toyota Camry, is one of the most luxurious vehicles out there. If you're talking about interior appointments, features, and comfort, a Camry again is very luxurious. If there is something else you mean by "level of luxury", you'll have to explain what you mean. Honestly, there are so many features available in even the cheapest cars today that were once considered emblematic of luxury, that defining what is truly a "luxury" car is somewhat meaningless.

Today, a "luxury" car is really just a market segment based on perception of the vehicle and brand's overall qualities. It is a fact that Teslas are regarded as luxury cars by the vast majority of the public and the auto industry.

Last edited:
Reactions: posity
"The car is a compact SUV that will have a range of 300 miles, The Verge reported. Three versions will be available for sale in fall of 2020: a $47,000 long-range version, a $51,000 all-wheel drive dual-motor version and a $60,000 performance version. A cheaper standard version with a 230 mile range will sell for $39,000, but won't be available until 2021."

If fit, finish, and build quality are your primary determinants of luxury, then the number one selling sedan in America, the Toyota Camry, is one of the most luxurious vehicles out there. If you're talking about interior appointments, features, and comfort, a Camry again is very luxurious. If there is something else you mean by "level of luxury", you'll have to explain what you mean. Honestly, there are so many features available in even the cheapest cars today that were once considered emblematic of luxury, that defining what is truly a "luxury" car is somewhat meaningless.

Today, a "luxury" car is really just a market segment based on perception of the vehicle and brand's overall qualities. It is a fact that Teslas are regarded as luxury cars by the vast majority of the public and the auto industry.
The S and X definitely. Model 3?

• Disagree
Reactions: WVhybrid
And for those who disagree, get back to me when the Model 3 has a heated steering wheel

Oh no! My Lexus was not a luxury vehicle, and neither are my BMWs since I did not order the optional cold weather package with heated steering wheel. Just like most BMW, Mercedes, etc buyers here in California.

Oh no! My Lexus was not a luxury vehicle, and neither are my BMWs since I did not order the optional cold weather package with heated steering wheel. Just like most BMW, Mercedes, etc buyers here in California.

Again, California isn’t the only place people buy vehicles.

I would also submit no one in CA needs all wheel drive, but it’s an option.