Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Alternatives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this statement on a reddit forum when comparing the M3 and Rav4 Prime : "My wife and I own a model 3 and we love it. That being said, we also love road trips and had too many experiences with superchargers being full or just unavailable that caused significant stressors on our road trips (or just extended the travel time significantly). After almost getting stranded in Yosemite National Park we decided to only use the model 3 locally, and to get the Rav4 Prime for longer drives. It's been a great purchase!" A lot of people are in this situation until EV infrastructure improves.

Also, check out this review (not that I agree with it),

I too would recommend the Lexus 450h+, but I am finding it almost impossible to get this vehicle at MSRP. I want a Rav4 Prime but I am getting tired of going back and forth with dealerships with the price. I am trying to decide whether to get Rav4 Prime or Model Y, but sometimes I just want to go to tesla.com, order a Model Y and call it a day.

True - PHEV still have the "added" cost of maintenance.
Its VERY minimal. I have a PHEV and a Model Y. I change the oil on the PHEV once every 10,000mi. Thats hardly a burden. Its not like the old days where you'd do it 3-4x's that. The rest if the fluids go for >100k miles.

My PHEV (Prius Prime) has an EV range of 25mi, I routinely get <220Wh/mi in winter (~170Wh/mi in summer). I've got 1200mi on the current tank of gas and ~1/2 tank left. The only thing is, you have to plug it in after EVERY trip. Still, I think its easier to convince the skeptical to get into a PHEV before an EV. Plus it gives them an excuse to put charging infrastructure in their house which in turns makes the jump to EV more feasible for the next car.... well thats basically how it happened for me.

I would have bought the RAV4 Prime if it werent for the $11k dealer markup. Put me at the same price as a Model Y so in a sense I should be thanking Toyota for putting me in a Model Y :)

Reactions: Daekwan and voxel
It is not "have to charge AND put gas in a car", the attraction is that it is OR. You can charge it, or you can put gas in it. You don't have to do both, the car is functional either way.

its "And". Any plug in hybrid drives terribly on just its gas motor. not plugging it in really isnt an option unless you want to have even more anemic driving than these normally offer.

• Disagree
Reactions: Daekwan
Its VERY minimal. I have a PHEV and a Model Y. I change the oil on the PHEV once every 10,000mi. Thats hardly a burden. Its not like the old days where you'd do it 3-4x's that. The rest if the fluids go for >100k miles.
That's the bare minimum tho. You still spark have plugs that should be replaced every 60k miles. They like to say 100k miles, but in actuality they are usually worn by 60k miles. You still have the transmission fluid. Many OEMs again like to say they are filled for life, or 100k miles, but that's bs, but they should still be replaced at 60k miles. Some OEMs still use timing belts on their hybrids, others use chains... If you have a belt, you gotta service that too. The list goes on and on... There's a lot of things that can and will fail. I've had lifters go bad, valves springs, rocker assemblies, lower intake manifold gaskets, EGR valves, PCV valves, fuel pumps, pump resistors, etc go bad.

Of course in a perfect world, none of this would fail, but when people talk about maintence comparisons between an EV and gas, they are referring to the fact that there are orders of magnitude less moving parts in an EV, so there's less things that could fail...

its "And". Any plug in hybrid drives terribly on just its gas motor. not plugging it in really isnt an option unless you want to have even more anemic driving than these normally offer.
I would expect any plug in hybrid to drive like a hybrid if you dont plug it in. Gas motor charges the battery so you have power for periods of acceleration. Dont plug it in: gas engine runs more often.

I would expect any plug in hybrid to drive like a hybrid if you dont plug it in. Gas motor charges the battery so you have power for periods of acceleration. Dont plug it in: gas engine runs more often.

I'd have to agree here - almost all PHEV's run perfectly fine without being plugged in, you just miss out on the electric-only mode.

The one exception I can think of is the BMW i3, which carried a barely-adequate "range extender" motor which could get you to a charging station at reduced performance. But it's pretty much retired, and all the current generation PHEV's are perfectly happy to run on gas 100% of the time if you want to use them that way.

The ID.4 is a viable option especially for those making the transition. It isn’t going to perform like the model Y and it doesn’t have a frunk. It is a decent vehicle though which qualifies for the full federal tax credit and comes with three years of free public charging on electrify america.

Reactions: Zorg and Daekwan
I ordered the Model Y after much research and comparison. The RAV4 looks ok but it doesnt have the towing capacity. I don’t think range anxiety is a thing with the MY since the Tesla Suoercharger next work is not pretty much everywhere. Use the Go Anywhere apps and try a few “out there“ destinations in NA. I’d love to see a Ford Maverick or Ranger as an electric - but they don’t exist - and with the F-150 specs but even the base 150 is approx. 250 miles of range. Even then, so far, the 150 is still not delivered. Tesla has been making and selling electric cars for over 10 years. I have a Leaf now and it’s our primary local drive. I don’t see a reason to not go fully electric. Good luck.

Reactions: tm1v2
I ordered the Model Y after much research and comparison. The RAV4 looks ok but it doesnt have the towing capacity. I don’t think range anxiety is a thing with the MY since the Tesla Suoercharger next work is not pretty much everywhere. Use the Go Anywhere apps and try a few “out there“ destinations in NA. I’d love to see a Ford Maverick or Ranger as an electric - but they don’t exist - and with the F-150 specs but even the base 150 is approx. 250 miles of range. Even then, so far, the 150 is still not delivered. Tesla has been making and selling electric cars for over 10 years. I have a Leaf now and it’s our primary local drive. I don’t see a reason to not go fully electric. Good luck.
oops. The supercharger network is NOW pretty much everywhere. I should proof reward better. The other car to consider is the ID.4. But I also hate the idea of going to a dealer. Use my 2 cents.

After having driven a Tesla (MYLR) for 7 months, I find it hard to even consider giving up the Supercharger network. Even though there are some things I don't like about operating this car, they are minor compared to having to rely on DCFCs again for trips to the cottage, let alone road trips.

Reactions: voxel
After having driven a Tesla (MYLR) for 7 months, I find it hard to even consider giving up the Supercharger network. Even though there are some things I don't like about operating this car, they are minor compared to having to rely on DCFCs again for trips to the cottage, let alone road trips.
The Supercharger network is what pushed it over the edge for me. I likely wouldnt have gotten it and just paid the "market adjustment" on the Rav4 Prime if not for the ability to travel long distances with relative ease. I heavily considered the Mach-E, but I didnt want to gamble on the charging network/speed so I nixed it.

The ID.4 is a viable option especially for those making the transition. It isn’t going to perform like the model Y and it doesn’t have a frunk. It is a decent vehicle though which qualifies for the full federal tax credit and comes with three years of free public charging on electrify america.
Which is exactly why my wife chose it. For the price, it's the best bargain on the entire EV market. Starts at $40K.. qualifies for the full $7,500 credit.. 250 miles of real-world range.. DC fast charges from 0 to 80% in 38mins.. L2 Home charges up to 11.5kW (50 miles of range per hour).. Crossover SUV form factor with towing capability.. AWD extra $3600.. 3 years of free EA charging.. and the interior, quietness, legroom, comfort, ride quality, CarPlay, Android Auto, Drivers cockpit, real blindspot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alerts with autobraking.. and many more features are so much better than we expected. She also has the $4,000 Pro S (Statement package) that adds things like artificial leather, ambient lighting, a powered sun-shade for the panoramic glass roof.. and I literally just noticed last week that her car has dynamic LED headlights that turn in the same direction of the steering wheel and it is pretty freaking awesome to experience. The amount of value in the ID.4 is still impressing me.

I've shared this a few times and it's still eye-popping to mention it again. The cheapest Model Y will cost you $26,000 more than the cheapest ID.4. Even after adding AWD to the ID.4, the cheapest Model Y is still $22,000 more expensive. Even though I had my Model Y for 10 months before my wife chose her new EV.. and we certainly considered a second Model Y.. it was pretty much impossible to get beyond this price difference. Go test drive a Model Y and then go test drive an ID.4.. I promise the most astounding difference between the two vehicles is why is Model Y so much more expensive?

Since we own both vehicles.. I'm pretty familiar with the pros & cons of each vehicle.

Last edited:
Just to be clear the id4, optioned to attempt to match standard Model Y is only about $8,500 less and still missing some features standard in the Y. Tech, performance and range do not compare. The saving grace for the id4 is that VW still qualifies for the $7,500 to the extent your tax bill allows.

That was the issue. We went on a road trip to Vegas from Los Angeles and usually it takes 4 hours. It took us 5.5 hours due to charging times. I personally don't mind since I can take a break and get some grub, but my parents were annoyed.
Charging speed (at superchargers) is a technological thing, not a physical limitation like how many gallons of gas can go through a pump per minute. As with anything EV, especially Tesla, technology leaps forward every day. It's silly to think today's technology will still be the same in two years. I've seen Youtube reviews of superchargers charging at speeds over 1,000 mi/hours, which will give you 250+ miles in 15 minutes. I always think of buying a Tesla as an investment in the future.