Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y and MyQ garage door opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first post here, for my new car, and my first experience with a Tesla. It takes a lot of getting used to to drive a laptop. :/

My understanding is that Tesla (Y 2022.44.30.1) supports myQ directly but I must pay myQ an annual subscription to use the garage door opener I already paid for. Or I can use the Homelink method (press Learn button and link like pairing bluetooth). I've done this to my wife's Highlander, but to do that I have to buy a piece of hardware for $350 or thereabouts. And have it installed, or is it a plug in thing? If installed, what should I expect the total cost to be?

Manual says there is a Homelink icon at the top of the screen, but there is not, but there is a myQ icon. I assume the homelink icon shows up if I add the hardware module?
When you install the HomeLink module, you get the icon. If you buy a used one, you can self install now. The $350 price includes the module plus installation.

myQ is great too. I have both setup in my car. myQ is definitely cooler and in keeping with the tech of the car. The subscription is $3/month.

When you install the HomeLink module, you get the icon. If you buy a used one, you can self install now. The $350 price includes the module plus installation.

myQ is great too. I have both setup in my car. myQ is definitely cooler and in keeping with the tech of the car. The subscription is $3/month.
Thanks for the response. So the cost of the Homelink module would pay for 10 years of myQ subscription. But paying indefinitely to use something I already paid for just rubs me the wrong way. I'll use my phone or a clip on garage door opener for now and put off the decision for the time being.

You can purchase the Homelink kit (currently costs $350 US) from the Tesla online store at Tesla.com. Tesla Mobile Service will install Homelink (the installation is included in the purchase price), takes ~30 minutes.

The MyQ integration with the Tesla Model Y is new, offers some advantage over Homelink. Homelink is stateless in that it never knows whether the garage door is open or closed when Homelink activates. This has led to unfortunate situations where the garage door has closed on a Tesla vehicle or the open hatch of the Tesla vehicle. MyQ always knows the current state of the garage door.
I really just want a standard low tech solution: a dumb button I can push when I want to open the door.

Reactions: jcanoe
I have my garage door opener in the middle console. Open the console and click the button and that's it.

Not sure why so many people want HomeLink...
if you've got to open a gate into a community and then also garage door, there's some applicability.
but it's mostly a first world entitlement.

I'm using the MyQ setup for the trial period and while it does work, it doesn't work just often enough to make it untrustworthy.
I'll be sticking with the remote velcro'd to the back of my center console after the trial (which ends very soon).
and no, it doesn't auto-invoice your credit card for $179. It's $49 a year IIRC.

if you've got to open a gate into a community and then also garage door, there's some applicability.
but it's mostly a first world entitlement.

I'm using the MyQ setup for the trial period and while it does work, it doesn't work just often enough to make it untrustworthy.
I'll be sticking with the remote velcro'd to the back of my center console after the trial (which ends very soon).
and no, it doesn't auto-invoice your credit card for $179. It's $49 a year IIRC.
Velcro sounds like a good solution for what I need. Thanks.

Reactions: tangible1