Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y arriving sooner than expected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding at the moment is our model Y will come from Giga Berlin and production is not due to start till 2021. Unless we get ours from China or US I can’t see us getting it till late 2021 at the earliest.

This Recent post on Reddit indicates that standard range Y is not due till 2022 but lots of comments confirmed 2021 for start of deliveries.

Model Y production changed to begin 2022 for Europe : teslamotors

Key issue is RHD.
If UK is waiting on Euro plant, so will we

Long term I suspect a factory in India or Thailand for RHD

My guess is that if they do build a factory in the UK as per the article below then that could be where we get our RHD Model Y's. It would make sense for Tesla to make all RHD versions in the one factory therefore not needing to switch tooling etc to make the car RHD.

Tesla linked to new UK gigafactory in Somerset | Autocar

If there is a lack of demand, which all indicators are pointing to, they’ll build RHD at Fremont
What indicators are you pointing to? So far Tesla sales seem fairly resilient to the Covid19 effects.
This may indicate a delay due to the online sales model, but people who were impacted by Covid19 financial impacts could have cancelled their order, but it seems many didn’t and the Model 3 sales have held up well.
Given the popularity of compact SUV’s I think the Model Y will sell quite well despite the finically uncertain times.

What indicators are you pointing to? So far Tesla sales seem fairly resilient to the Covid19 effects.
This may indicate a delay due to the online sales model, but people who were impacted by Covid19 financial impacts could have cancelled their order, but it seems many didn’t and the Model 3 sales have held up well.
Given the popularity of compact SUV’s I think the Model Y will sell quite well despite the finically uncertain times.
1) Supercharging incentives for MY buyers already being offered
2) MY already being sold into Canada
3) Lead times for MY dropping to 4 weeks from 8

• Informative
Reactions: meloccom
1) Supercharging incentives for MY buyers already being offered
2) MY already being sold into Canada
3) Lead times for MY dropping to 4 weeks from 8
Multiple versions of model 3, S, and X were built in LHD before the first RHD was made. People in the US who ordered months after the first model 3 deliveries recieved their cars quickly, and that was months before the rhd versions happened.
Its more likely that tesla urgently need cash again or need to report a profit, so its quicker to sell more LHD cars then it is to tool up fro rhd. This same process has happened with all tesla models so far, and tesla have never delivered RHD to australia sooner than scheduled.

Reactions: baillies
Multiple versions of model 3, S, and X were built in LHD before the first RHD was made. People in the US who ordered months after the first model 3 deliveries recieved their cars quickly, and that was months before the rhd versions happened.
Its more likely that tesla urgently need cash again or need to report a profit, so its quicker to sell more LHD cars then it is to tool up fro rhd.

I don't think anyone is suggesting they will be producing RHD anytime soon, but what timeframe is more the question.

This same process has happened with all tesla models so far, and tesla have never delivered RHD to australia sooner than scheduled.
From my knowledge, they have never released any sort of time frame for RHD model y being made so hoping them to be made "sooner then scheduled" doesn't make much sense since we don't have a "scheduled" timeframe to go off. We are all just assuming it will be 2 years or so as was the case with all Tesla's before it but it would be good if we did have an estimate scheduled timeframe to go off.

I recall seeing an off-the-cuff from Elon or someone else high up in Tesla, saying that RHD would come much quicker for the Y because of better interchangeability.. can anyone else remember where/when that was? I can't find it..

I don't think anyone is suggesting they will be producing RHD anytime soon, but what timeframe is more the question.

From my knowledge, they have never released any sort of time frame for RHD model y being made so hoping them to be made "sooner then scheduled" doesn't make much sense since we don't have a "scheduled" timeframe to go off. We are all just assuming it will be 2 years or so as was the case with all Tesla's before it but it would be good if we did have an estimate scheduled timeframe to go off.
Absolutely, which in light of the original post hypothesising that we could see model y in australia before mid 2021 is very unlikely.

I think the only timeframe that has been released is that the UK (as a RHD country) and Europe would get products from the German factory

I'd be surprised if there is more than one factory that does RHD production, and the US isn't the natural place, with other key RHD markets being Australia, Hong Kong and Japan.

I think the only timeframe that has been released is that the UK (as a RHD country) and Europe would get products from the German factory
I read that Elon said Europe would get their Model Y's from Berlin, but I wasn't sure if that included the UK? I know it is a good assumption that they would produce the UK's RHD also from Berlin, but I think back to how the model 3 was done, the UK was almost a completely seperate entity to the rest of Europe due to them being RHD, so they had to wait almost as long as we did to get our model 3s.
That's why I'm curious if they do go ahead with that Gigafactory in the UK rumour I posted earlier, whether they would just get the UK to produce all other RHD markets Model Y also. It would suck as the wait to get your Model Y here would be 3 years away or so by the time the factory gets built etc etc.

I read that Elon said Europe would get their Model Y's from Berlin, but I wasn't sure if that included the UK? I know it is a good assumption that they would produce the UK's RHD also from Berlin, but I think back to how the model 3 was done, the UK was almost a completely seperate entity to the rest of Europe due to them being RHD, so they had to wait almost as long as we did to get our model 3s.
That's why I'm curious if they do go ahead with that Gigafactory in the UK rumour I posted earlier, whether they would just get the UK to produce all other RHD markets Model Y also. It would suck as the wait to get your Model Y here would be 3 years away or so by the time the factory gets built etc etc.
First Model S delivery to Steve Jurvetson was June 22, 2012 and first deliveries in Australia was December 9, 2014. First Model 3 were delivered July 28, 2017 in The USA and September 2019 In Australia, so the record suggests 2 and a bit years on average.

Last edited: