Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y arriving sooner than expected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember the model 3 was given an estimate timeframe of something like mid 2019 when I first put my deposit down in 2017, but I am not aware of the process of the model s and X. Were they given estimates also of when they were arriving in Australia?

I remember the model 3 was given an estimate timeframe of something like mid 2019 when I first put my deposit down in 2017, but I am not aware of the process of the model s and X. Were they given estimates also of when they were arriving in Australia?
When I put down a deposit on my Model S, I think there were dates for the USA and Canada and possibly for Europe , but rest of the world was far less clear. I’m not sure there was a guarantee that Tesla would come to Australia at all!
Part of the reason for putting down a deposit was to convince Tesla that there was demand here. what I am certain about is that no one expected that Tesla would roll out Superchargers in Australia in 2012.
Almost seems like a lifetime ago.

When I put down a deposit on my Model S, I think there were dates for the USA and Canada and possibly for Europe , but rest of the world was far less clear. I’m not sure there was a guarantee that Tesla would come to Australia at all!
Part of the reason for putting down a deposit was to convince Tesla that there was demand here. what I am certain about is that no one expected that Tesla would roll out Superchargers in Australia in 2012.
Almost seems like a lifetime ago.

And to you and the handful of diehards that made the effort to encourage Tesla all those years ago I will always be grateful.

that's why I'm curious if they do go ahead with that Gigafactory in the UK rumour I posted earlier, whether they would just get the UK to produce all other RHD markets Model Y also.

In my OPINION, Tesla will not manufacture cars in UK, the combine worldwide RHD market is not big enough for that and they seem to able to retool between LHD/RHD manufacturing pretty quickly.
Again, in my opinion, the land scouting that Tesla are doing in UK is for their energy business. In the last few weeks, Tesla have received the "permissions" to be an energy supplier in the UK. I think the land scouting is for a "Hornsdale" type battery farm.

My Twitter contribution below, maybe others could try tweeting or retweet mine?

https://twitter.com/bailliesa/status/1278423024618704896?s=21
“My family’s Aussie Xmas Christmas wish is Tesla Solar + PW3 + lrY (7 seat) w V2G. Aussie’s had to wait 2+ yrs for S3X, please give us a S3XY finish to 2020@mayemusk @ToscaMusk @kimbal”

If you want a S3XY finish you need to buy an S, 3 and X (like we have) and then it makes the Y all more rewarding o_O

• Funny
Reactions: paulp and baillies
Throughout Tesla's history they have always priced their cars in line with the cost of production.
This is in line with their stated Mission to "Accelerate the advent of sustainable transport."
Whilst Tesla is a profit making business that is only part of the companies focus which differs from many others where profitability or Shareholder value outweighs almost any other objective.
This is what Tesla short sellers always fail to grasp at their great and increasing risk and loss.
I don't know if part of the price reduction is derived from a desire to increase demand, it may well be, but we can be confident that it is not the sole motivation of the move.

So in summary, the evidence for lack of demand is:
1) Lead times falling by 4 weeks
2) Supercharging incentives
3) Price cut
4) Bringing forward supply to Canadian market
5) Bringing forward supply of 7 seat option from 2021 to 2020
All of those things could also suggest that tesla can now manufacture the car faster and more efficiently than planned

Last edited: