Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model Y as a limo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't mean a model Y as a stretch limo, just using it to drive around VIPs.

I work in the film business and I have been considering getting a model Y that would be used to drive around VIPs. it would be doing things like picking them up at the airport, driving them to the film set and driving them to their hotel. I have seen it done before using a model S. I know the model S has a softer ride.

How about ride for the model Y? would it be to harsh to offer up as a luxury vehicle? Also compared to an S, would the back seat be large enough?

I have a model 3, but it am considering trading it in for a Y. I have seen videos comparing an X vs Y and the rear seat seems similar in size so I see no need to go to an X. I would want to stay away from the falcon doors.

If the ride is not smooth enough in a Y I guess I could always get softer coil overs.
any insight is appreciated

The Model Y is not a luxury car, but it could work nonetheless just because of the brand. The ride is in no way 'soft'. Several members here have reported good results with custom coilovers. Also make sure to get the mud flaps (OEM ones are fine) and PPF. The paint sucks and you don't want to be washing it by hand after every trip.

Reactions: Daekwan
I don't mean a model Y as a stretch limo, just using it to drive around VIPs.

I work in the film business and I have been considering getting a model Y that would be used to drive around VIPs. it would be doing things like picking them up at the airport, driving them to the film set and driving them to their hotel. I have seen it done before using a model S. I know the model S has a softer ride.

How about ride for the model Y? would it be to harsh to offer up as a luxury vehicle? Also compared to an S, would the back seat be large enough?

I have a model 3, but it am considering trading it in for a Y. I have seen videos comparing an X vs Y and the rear seat seems similar in size so I see no need to go to an X. I would want to stay away from the falcon doors.

If the ride is not smooth enough in a Y I guess I could always get softer coil overs.
any insight is appreciated
Get the MPP or UPP coilover kit and better tires and you should be good.

Reactions: mdsco
I'm in Canada so I'm leaning towards the Y. There is a new class of vehicles for tax deduction purposes. Class 54 and 55. It allows you to depreciate a vehicle used for business up to %100 but up to a maximum of $55,000. So from a tax perspective I am better off choosing the cheaper vehicle.

I saw a good video comparing the back seat of the Y, X and 3. the guy was 6'5". he felt that the Y was the roomiest back seat so at least for size the Y wins.

I went for a test drive to take a good look at the size of the back seat. Compared to my model 3 it is much bigger and I think it is totally suitable for my purposes. While I do agree that the ride is a little harsh, I decided to order one. This will be a side hustle and I am not planning on setting up a business like Tesloop. This will be my personal car, when I can rent it I can drive my wife's car.

I was thinking I could put some 18" model 3 rims on it with more sidewall, and lower the pressure to the lower range of whats acceptable. I don't necessarily want to be changing suspension parts. The Tesla guy at the test drive said this would void the warranty.

I did talk to someone in the transportation department today at work and they said there is big demand for such a service. We are in Toronto, and she said that actors often come in from California and request Tesla's, but no car rental agencies have them. They end up renting Pacifica hybrids or such .

Reminds me of the config Revel is using in NYC.

Startup Revel plans to launch a Tesla-only ride-hailing service in NYC

Photo3.jpg

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Everybody who has responded about ride comfort has said the the X will be better. If you feel that much need to justify the Y, you should probably just get the Y.
😂 He’s going to regret it when passengers start flying around, heads bobbing and teeth chattering. I expect the next thread will be about coil overs and deflating the tires followed by will Tesla or Carvana be better for trade in.

OP here, coilovers are definately on the table. As I mentioned, this is going to be a side hustle, the car will mainly be my personal vehicle. If it gets rented, great, if not l'll be using it myself. The tax deduction in Canada is for up $55,000 of the cost of the vehicle. A model X here starts at $125K! Also no way would i want falcon wing doors.. Show me one review that says they are great, we love the and they have never caused us problems....

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the opinions. That is why I am seriously considering coilovers. Also with the X costing more than twice as much as the Y , I would have to charge twice the amount to make money. I have to take all these things into consideration. If I am successful with the Y maybe the next car can be an X. I can let the wife drive the Y as a daily driver/rental (she rarely goes anywhere) and the X can be my daily driver/rental.

Check out new company called Kaptyn. They are using Teslas as a VIP transportation service. Based in Vegas for now with plans on expanding.

OP here, coilovers are definately on the table. As I mentioned, this is going to be a side hustle, the car will mainly be my personal vehicle. If it gets rented, great, if not l'll be using it myself. The tax deduction in Canada is for up $55,000 of the cost of the vehicle. A model X here starts at $125K! Also no way would i want falcon wing doors.. Show me one review that says they are great, we love the and they have never caused us problems....

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the opinions. That is why I am seriously considering coilovers. Also with the X costing more than twice as much as the Y , I would have to charge twice the amount to make money. I have to take all these things into consideration. If I am successful with the Y maybe the next car can be an X. I can let the wife drive the Y as a daily driver/rental (she rarely goes anywhere) and the X can be my daily driver/rental.
FWD Review: They are Great! 17 months owned - 29k miles, we love them and they have never caused us any problems (well one time when I parked too close to another car in a parking garage - I had to back up with them open - no big)

With the X you can open and close all doors from the front screen or your key fob. You talk about transporting VIP's NOTHING is going to do that as well as an X - when you simply open close the doors for them.

OP Here
So you guys are thinking of big Hollywood events where Tom Hanks steps out of a Limo. Behind the scenes on a movie shoot its not quite like that.

I was working a big budget movie in November. I needed a ride back to my car so I hopped in one of the Dodge Caravans that they use to shuttle people around. I talked to the driver and the last person he had driven was one of the stars from "Big Bang Theory" to the airport. Star are defiantely treated well (as well as crew) but there is not a lot of glamour or luxury behind the scenes. Maybe one or two stars on a big budget Film or TV show will get a dedicated car and driver. The car will often just be a Chevy Suburban.

Personally, the nicest car I have seen was a model S that was for Woody Harrelson. That was kind of the inspiration for my idea, but there just aren't that many A-list people here that would demand an X or S. I aiming for a much broader market of B-list celebs who have enough pull to get their own car.

I do appreciate the input