Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y at Fully Charged Outside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For any prospective purchasers, was interested to see there was a Model Y over from Germany at Fully Charged Outside today. Assume it will be there on the TOGUK stand over the weekend…

F550B255-10A8-46B2-9FAA-87468ED9F58D.jpeg

Reactions: Durzel
Is there anything or any stands that really shouldn't be missed? I'm heading across tomorrow and Sunday.
It’s not so big that you’re likely to miss any particular stands. It’s well laid out in a handful sections. The issue I had today was it was reasonably busy and most stalls were in high demand, so getting to talk to anyone was a bit of a wait and get your elbows out (whilst glaring at the people clearly looking to push in) affair.

Reactions: twlr
Is there anything or any stands that really shouldn't be missed? I'm heading across tomorrow and Sunday.

For me, not really. It was smaller than I thought it was going to be, but had a good chat with some vendors and a close look at one or two cars of interest. We spent about two and a half hours on site and that was more than enough to have a good look at everything on offer, given we were not planning to try any test drives or sit in on any of the panel stuff.

My only real advice would be take your own lunch with you, or be prepared for spending some time queuing for the limited food options on offer.

Reactions: twlr
We spent about 4.5 hours there today. The main advice I would give is try to get there early well before the official start time as the local roads close to the site were overwhelmed today. We aimed to get there for 10am and were about a 1 mile from the entrance at 10 am, but it took another hour to get in to the carpark!

The show was useful for comparing most of the leading EVs, e.g. Kia EV6, Hyundai Ionic 5, Mach E, Polestar 2, ID3/4. I still much prefer my M3P and that's just on the design inside and out, never mind the driving and entertainment system which can't be judged at the show. Also the quality of the interiors is no better than Tesla in my opinion.

The most impressive car at the show is the Model Y, driven over by the owner, Oliver, from Germany. Many thanks to him for doing so and letting myself and my wife sit in the driver's seat.

There were quite a few classic car EV conversions on display, such as 911SC, E-type, Porsche 356, MX-5, 2CV, which were interesting, but ultimately very expensive for limited ability. Also shouldn't we be preserving classics for future generations rather than converting them to EVs.

We spent about 4.5 hours there today. The main advice I would give is try to get there early well before the official start time as the local roads close to the site were overwhelmed today. We aimed to get there for 10am and were about a 1 mile from the entrance at 10 am, but it took another hour to get in to the carpark!

That’s was’t good!

We arrived in the vicinity around 1130am and joined the queue, from Farnham direction on the A325, about a couple of hundred yards before the roundabout off the A325 into the business park. From joining queue on A325 it probably took around twenty mins or so to get parked. I saw an email that came in this evening saying they recognised there were issues today and that they were going to try and improve the parking entry process for tomorrow and Sunday.

I'm sure the Y will do very well. However, I still think it's too big - like most cars these days - the trend towards SUVs and crossovers is just making cars bigger and bigger on the whole. I have a Model 3 - if Tesla offered a smaller car I would have that instead. Something about Ford Focus size would be ideal. Most people drive around with just one or two people - its so wasteful dragging 5 seats and a huge boot around with you everywhere you go!

Whats the current rumour on when it will be in the UK? I've seen there are a handful of new inventory in Europe now (although the Tesla website makes them hard to find), and lots of Model 3 inventory over there, but the UK is sold out on Model 3 until the end of the year, so one would think future production could include some MY for us. They are after all making RHD cars in China now so it's not like they can't do it.

#hopeful.

I'm sure the Y will do very well. However, I still think it's too big - like most cars these days - the trend towards SUVs and crossovers is just making cars bigger and bigger on the whole. I have a Model 3 - if Tesla offered a smaller car I would have that instead. Something about Ford Focus size would be ideal. Most people drive around with just one or two people - its so wasteful dragging 5 seats and a huge boot around with you everywhere you go!

Yes, the early descriptions of the Model 3 before release seemed to put it in that Ford Focus sized bracket. I would never buy a Y but I would prefer a Model 3 (still too big) with a hatch. I'm fed up of diving into the verges around here to avoid contact with huge SUVs of which half the drivers can't judge the width. I can see they've still got the best part of a foot of spare tarmac on their side!

I was there on Friday. Good show but did it in just over 3 hours.

Some more photos of the Y. Personally I think it will a big hit if priced right.

Dan

Attachments

• PHOTO-2021-09-03-11-43-29.jpg
    PHOTO-2021-09-03-11-43-29.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 44
  • PHOTO-2021-09-03-11-43-30.jpg
    PHOTO-2021-09-03-11-43-30.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 34
  • PHOTO-2021-09-03-11-43-31.jpg
    PHOTO-2021-09-03-11-43-31.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 33
Yes, the early descriptions of the Model 3 before release seemed to put it in that Ford Focus sized bracket. I would never buy a Y but I would prefer a Model 3 (still too big) with a hatch. I'm fed up of diving into the verges around here to avoid contact with huge SUVs of which half the drivers can't judge the width. I can see they've still got the best part of a foot of spare tarmac on their side!
Yeah when they announced it I was under the impression it was a sort of 'standard' sized car. Model 3 is actually a large car (apart from height). I was hoping the Y was just basically the 3 with a hatchback, but they seem to have jacked it up in all directions to make it even bigger.

Reactions: Adopado
I haven't seen any size comparisons between the Model Y and the Model 3 apart from the obvious height difference.
I went from a Volvo V70 to a Model 3 knowing they were a similar size so would fit in my driveway.
I have managed to squeeze a loaner Model S in my driveway but it was a tricky fit.

I haven't seen any size comparisons between the Model Y and the Model 3 apart from the obvious height difference
It’s no secret… google will do… it’s a bit wider and a bit longer and a good bit taller.

(I don’t drive cars without mirrors so why do manufacturers often quote width without them? Anyway, cars that are well over 2 metres wide, with their mirrors, are a bit too wide for comfort in many uk locations. )

Reactions: adsheff
It’s no secret… google will do… it’s a bit wider and a bit longer and a good bit taller.

(I don’t drive cars without mirrors so why do manufacturers often quote width without them? Anyway, cars that are well over 2 metres wide, with their mirrors, are a bit too wide for comfort in many uk locations. )
I watched the RSymons walkaround of the MY on YouTube, and it does look a nice car. When he got to the wheels my wife said “The rims still stick out further than the tyres, so plenty more wheel scrapes there…” :)

I went to Fully Charged Live in 2019, and from the few videos I’ve watched from this show, it looked smaller and less busy than the one I went to. I didn’t fancy the trek to Farnborough which would have meant an overnight stay. I was able to do Silverstone in a day.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado and adsheff