Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Auto Pilot Nearly Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mod Y Guy

Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2017
California
I've been driving my Model Y (June 2021 build) for roughly seven weeks now and I'm finding the auto pilot nearly unusable. The braking is so overly aggressive that it basically catapults me forward constantly. It will go from 65 down to 40 suddenly and simply does not ease into braking whatsoever while driving on the freeway. It's an uncomfortable driving experience and it's dangerous for possible rear end accidents. I've tried switching the trailing distance of the cars in front of me from two car lengths all the way up to seven and it drives no differently. I had a Model 3 for about 3 years, that had EAP, and the auto pilot was NEVER this bad. Is this due to the switch from radar to Tesla Vision? Might this be fixed with a future software update, or is this just how it is? I'm curious to hear how others have found the autopilot on recent builds with Tesla Vision.

Hmm... this is interesting.. I was about to say, 'adjust your following distance!!!!' but you have already owned M3 so you know this part..

I have 20 MY LR (radar) and 21 M3 (Vision) and I really don't have much problem with Tesla Vision aside from obvious shortcomings like speed limot to 80 and following distance minimum at 3.

Has this problem been happening in heavy construction area? Daytime or night time??

I have a '20 MY with radar and it does not do as much phantom braking as it used to due to s/w updates. My only gripe would be that it tends to 'rush up' to cars ahead that are slowing down/stopping and brake hard instead of easing into the braking like a human would, although this has gotten a LOT better with later s/w updates. My biggest issue is that the car 'forgets' about the other lanes once I use certain fly-over lanes here in AZ. It will only show a single lane (but still shows cars in the 'space' to the right of the lane I am in.) I have to move over about 1/2 way into the next lane to get it to see them again. Kind of annoying.

It's no different in my May '21 model 3. Unintended/phantom braking is rampant. It really degrades the entire driving experience. Almost to the point I want to take my Camry on long highway drives instead so I can just set the "dumb" cruise and drive in bliss. (minus the entire archaic experience of the rest of the car lol)
I love my 3 so much, but Vision is a complete failure so far. Interestingly the least trouble I have with it is during rain, I get far fewer brake/slowdown events.

I've been driving my Model Y (June 2021 build) for roughly seven weeks now and I'm finding the auto pilot nearly unusable. The braking is so overly aggressive that it basically catapults me forward constantly. It will go from 65 down to 40 suddenly and simply does not ease into braking whatsoever while driving on the freeway. It's an uncomfortable driving experience and it's dangerous for possible rear end accidents. I've tried switching the trailing distance of the cars in front of me from two car lengths all the way up to seven and it drives no differently. I had a Model 3 for about 3 years, that had EAP, and the auto pilot was NEVER this bad. Is this due to the switch from radar to Tesla Vision? Might this be fixed with a future software update, or is this just how it is? I'm curious to hear how others have found the autopilot on recent builds with Tesla Vision.
I have a model Y (june 2021) with vision only and face exactly same issues. I am really scared to use autopilot anymore. I used to drive Audi Q7 2020, never had this kind of unpleasant driving. Regret buying this car

Reactions: saltsman
May ‘21 build here.

I agree with the AutoPilot issues mentioned here. I’ll purposely turn it off when traffic is bad as I have had a host of issues that just makes me feel unsafe.

What does everyone do when you have to lane change while using AutoPilot?

Auto steer still works great, the problem is with TACC.

You can mitigate the problem by engaging Auto Pilot and then setting the cruise control speed down to 20 mph and using your foot to control speed. This is what I have started doing since the update that ruined TACC in my car. I am hoping that the next update fixes it and I can stop doing this work around.

Keith

Reactions: Dogeftw
<snip>. The braking is so overly aggressive that it basically catapults me forward constantly. It will go from 65 down to 40 suddenly and simply does not ease into braking whatsoever while driving on the freeway. It's an uncomfortable driving experience and it's dangerous for possible rear end accidents.<snip> Is this due to the switch from radar to Tesla Vision?
I have a 2020 with Radar, and I have this same experience. I narrowly avoided being rear ended a few weeks ago for this very reason. (Autopilot slammed on the brakes, causing the car behind to take to the shoulder to avoid hitting me, also causing me to hit the accelerator to give the woman behind me enough room to make that maneuver...yes, there was that much room in front of me). The Autopilot braking is overly aggressive IMO and stops very short in stop and go traffic.

Reactions: saltsman
I just took delivery of my MY performance and drove it over 200 miles home from Atlanta. I was surprised how well the AP worked. I only had one significant phantom slow down (not a full oh phantom brake). The lane keep assist seemed to work better than my 2020 M3P and there was none of the crazy slam-on-the-brakes phantom's that my M3P had.

I’m your twin, OP. My June 2021 build model Y has the exact same issues. Have a Model 3 with EAP for 3 years. Never bad like this. I don’t use the autopilot in the Y at all. Where the Model Y would struggle, the Model 3 handles it flawlessly.
Almost identical situation here. I have a 2020 Model Y w/FSD and autopilot is really hit-or-miss whereas my old Model 3 w/EAP was much, much better in that unlike my Y w/FSD, it never phantom braked, kept distance accordingly, etc.

Almost identical situation here. I have a 2020 Model Y w/FSD and autopilot is really hit-or-miss whereas my old Model 3 w/EAP was much, much better in that unlike my Y w/FSD, it never phantom braked, kept distance accordingly, etc.
If you are seeing a drastic difference between the two, you may want to get a service appointment scheduled. Possibly a camera issue is happening here, as the hardware and software should basically be the same.

I just got my MYLR (without radar) a week ago. Upon doing a full inspection at home, I noticed the passenger side camera wasn't flush with the body - among other issues like panel gaps and trim problems.

I've been noticing that in autopilot and FSD, when a vehicle is to my right, it sometimes "jumps" into my lane on screen, and that sometimes causes the braking.
I'm not sure if this is related to the side camera not mounted properly, of if it's just a "feature" of the AI. Has anyone else seen this happen?

I have a service appt next week for Tesla to take care of my punch list, and will take the opportunity to ask them about the jumping vehicles too.

Hmm... this is interesting.. I was about to say, 'adjust your following distance!!!!' but you have already owned M3 so you know this part..

I have 20 MY LR (radar) and 21 M3 (Vision) and I really don't have much problem with Tesla Vision aside from obvious shortcomings like speed limot to 80 and following distance minimum at 3.

Has this problem been happening in heavy construction area? Daytime or night time??
Latest software has moved follow distance down to 2.

I just got my MYLR (without radar) a week ago. Upon doing a full inspection at home, I noticed the passenger side camera wasn't flush with the body - among other issues like panel gaps and trim problems.

I've been noticing that in autopilot and FSD, when a vehicle is to my right, it sometimes "jumps" into my lane on screen, and that sometimes causes the braking.
I'm not sure if this is related to the side camera not mounted properly, of if it's just a "feature" of the AI. Has anyone else seen this happen?

I have a service appt next week for Tesla to take care of my punch list, and will take the opportunity to ask them about the jumping vehicles too.
Ditto with jumping vehicles - always from the right - and service has checked it 3 times with the same response "future releases will make visualization better."

Meanwhile, posted in a different thread:

AP seems to be wrong much of the time here in the San Francisco bay area. It loves to move into the exit lane miles ahead of time behind drivers doing 50 while the lanes next to you are 70+.

On 101 north near the airport, it decided to play ping pong. It wanted to move a lane to the left to pass slower traffic but during the move it noticed a truck in the lane past the one it wanted to move to, so it jerked back into the original lane - repeating the move two more times before I finally took it out of AP.

Ditto with jumping vehicles - always from the right - and service has checked it 3 times with the same response "future releases will make visualization better."

Meanwhile, posted in a different thread:

AP seems to be wrong much of the time here in the San Francisco bay area. It loves to move into the exit lane miles ahead of time behind drivers doing 50 while the lanes next to you are 70+.

On 101 north near the airport, it decided to play ping pong. It wanted to move a lane to the left to pass slower traffic but during the move it noticed a truck in the lane past the one it wanted to move to, so it jerked back into the original lane - repeating the move two more times before I finally took it out of AP.
have you tried recalibrating your cameras?

Reactions: Ruffles
We just completed a 2K mile road trip in our 2020 LR Y and used BAP for about 40% of our trip and aside from several Phantom Braking events BAP performed as I expected it to. I suspect it’s when and how you use it. Maybe my needs and expectations are lower, but I only use BAP when the roads are less curved and lightly traveled. I don’t expect it to completely SELF DRIVE my car. It’s on boring segments I use it most.

Reactions: WhyYesPlease