Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Auto Pilot Nearly Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm this is interesting. I’ve had my car over a year, and I’ve driven it across the country twice (west to east and Miami to New England) almost exclusively on autopilot already. I can count on one hand the amount of time my car has phantom braked, and most of those were early on. With software updates I can’t even recall the last time it happened. It performs so well for me.

Reactions: mark95476 and Iain
I love how ppl say "I can count on one hand" how many times its auto braked without cause. I've had multiple cars over the last 10yrs with radar cruise/lane keep assist and I can honestly say after >100k miles I can count on ZERO hands how many times they've braked without cause. I've had my MY for ~2000mi and its done it three times. Lets just say my old car did it once(which it didnt), thats 500x's more than my old car (which in reality is infinite).

Apologists willing to accept obvious flaws in my opinion. This is 100% due to the vision system, not the radar, since it happens in vision-only cars too.

I love how ppl say "I can count on one hand" how many times its auto braked without cause. I've had multiple cars over the last 10yrs with radar cruise/lane keep assist and I can honestly say after >100k miles I can count on ZERO hands how many times they've braked without cause. I've had my MY for ~2000mi and its done it three times. Lets just say my old car did it once(which it didnt), thats 500x's more than my old car (which in reality is infinite).

Apologists willing to accept obvious flaws in my opinion. This is 100% due to the vision system, not the radar, since it happens in vision-only cars too.

And this is the problem with Tesla... not the company, the fanboys.

Any company that can get away with a substandard product and have accolades thrown at their feet for it will continue to provide a substandard product... why should they try to improve when they are perfect in the eyes of the EV press and the fanboy mafia?

One of my co-workers is a hard core fanboy, and he will not acknowledge that any other companies self driving tech works at all, let alone that most of them work better than Auto Pilot.

How long can a company do this? Well, we are at over a decade and counting! My favorite "feature" is that by calling everything "Beta" you can skirt around liability and customer complaints.

Keith

I agree that Autopilot is bad (especially at night) and Tesla should be embarrassed by this technology. I really can't understand why they can't get this right. My previous car was a Hyundai Palisade and the lane keeping and adaptive cruise were just about flawless. If Tesla cannot even get Autopilot to work correctly, why should anyone think that FSD will ever work.

With that said, I bought this car fully aware of the complaints about Autopilot and I am still very glad I bought it. Even with this issue and a few others, I love this car. I just have to be careful about when and how I use Autopilot (and disable auto high-beams and be frustrated with the wiper speed).

And this is the problem with Tesla... not the company, the fanboys.

Any company that can get away with a substandard product and have accolades thrown at their feet for it will continue to provide a substandard product... why should they try to improve when they are perfect in the eyes of the EV press and the fanboy mafia?

One of my co-workers is a hard core fanboy, and he will not acknowledge that any other companies self driving tech works at all, let alone that most of them work better than Auto Pilot.

How long can a company do this? Well, we are at over a decade and counting! My favorite "feature" is that by calling everything "Beta" you can skirt around liability and customer complaints.

Keith
I don't know, my other car is a professional pilot and it has phantom braked several times in less than 50k miles. It also definitely can't handle a curvy interstate.

The Tesla phantom brakes more often, but it also has its advantages.

Reactions: Fourdoor
I still feel Tesla's Autopilot is way better than the competition's, however nowhere close to full self driving. My problem is that it is so erratic. For example at traffic lights: sometimes it goes thru a green traffic light normally, other times it warns you it is going to stop at the upcoming light unless you intervene, even with a green light. The chime for traffic lights sometimes chimes other times the light turns green and no chime. My only disappointment with Tesla from my experience is that there is no continuous improvement. At times if feels like one step forward and two steps backwards.

Reactions: jsight
Hmm I got my 21 MYP and have been using AP since I got it. AP is amazing and works well on SoCal freeways. I usually leave the following distance to the max at 7 and TACC at the speed limit (no + or -). AP has made me fall in love with the car. I've used it in the evening as well as daytime.
This, but I use a closer follow distance. I could not imagine not using AP on the fwys especially on road trips.

I still feel Tesla's Autopilot is way better than the competition's, however nowhere close to full self driving. My problem is that it is so erratic. For example at traffic lights: sometimes it goes thru a green traffic light normally, other times it warns you it is going to stop at the upcoming light unless you intervene, even with a green light. The chime for traffic lights sometimes chimes other times the light turns green and no chime. My only disappointment with Tesla from my experience is that there is no continuous improvement. At times if feels like one step forward and two steps backwards.
I agree, I only tried FSD for a month and I found the traffic light support to have such complicated rules as to be useless. The manual lists the rules for when it will stop on green vs when it will proceed, but that requires remembering a state diagram. It always felt clumsy to me, to the point where I probably would have turned it off eventually.

Your Tesla has a built in dashcam. Post a video of these phantom braking events.

I bet this is a "phantom" phantom braking event, meaning it never happened and you're just posting FUD. Anyone can find thousands of videos on YouTube of Teslas driving around and these braking events are exceptionally rare. Of course, we have anonymous nicks on TMC saying it happens to them all the time without providing any evidence.

I've been driving my Model Y (June 2021 build) for roughly seven weeks now and I'm finding the auto pilot nearly unusable. The braking is so overly aggressive that it basically catapults me forward constantly. It will go from 65 down to 40 suddenly and simply does not ease into braking whatsoever while driving on the freeway. It's an uncomfortable driving experience and it's dangerous for possible rear end accidents. I've tried switching the trailing distance of the cars in front of me from two car lengths all the way up to seven and it drives no differently. I had a Model 3 for about 3 years, that had EAP, and the auto pilot was NEVER this bad. Is this due to the switch from radar to Tesla Vision? Might this be fixed with a future software update, or is this just how it is? I'm curious to hear how others have found the autopilot on recent builds with Tesla Vision.

Your Tesla has a built in dashcam. Post a video of these phantom braking events.

I bet this is a "phantom" phantom braking event, meaning it never happened and you're just posting FUD. Anyone can find thousands of videos on YouTube of Teslas driving around and these braking events are exceptionally rare. Of course, we have anonymous nicks on TMC saying it happens to them all the time without providing any evidence.
In fairness, the vision builds were on a special firmware for quite a while. I've noticed more recent builds seem much smoother when approaching slower traffic, but that's with a radar equipped vehicle. I used to turn it off when approaching traffic quickly to avoid issues.

It'll be interesting to see if complaints drop with the new firmware, though I still have issues with the car being afraid of shadows sometimes. 🤦‍♂️

Question for the group. Just picked up my 2021 MYLR and is enjoying the ride and trying out all the features. My account says it comes with Autopilot and then it also offers FSD in the enhanced tab. I’m kind of confused and hoping this group will clarify for me:
- Will I have Autopilot for as long as I own my Y or is this a one year tryout then I lose it if I don’t buy FSD for $10k?
- I can’t seem to get AP to change lanes. Am I doing something wrong?
- I don’t see lane change setting in my Autopilot screen? Does that mean I don’t have that feature?

Please enlighten this Tesla novice ☺️

Hmm this is interesting. I’ve had my car over a year, and I’ve driven it across the country twice (west to east and Miami to New England) almost exclusively on autopilot already. I can count on one hand the amount of time my car has phantom braked, and most of those were early on. With software updates I can’t even recall the last time it happened. It performs so well for me.
So, your car has radar. Doesn't portend well for Vision only models exhibiting phantom braking.

Question for the group. Just picked up my 2021 MYLR and is enjoying the ride and trying out all the features. My account says it comes with Autopilot and then it also offers FSD in the enhanced tab. I’m kind of confused and hoping this group will clarify for me:
- Will I have Autopilot for as long as I own my Y or is this a one year tryout then I lose it if I don’t buy FSD for $10k?
- I can’t seem to get AP to change lanes. Am I doing something wrong?
- I don’t see lane change setting in my Autopilot screen? Does that mean I don’t have that feature?

Please enlighten this Tesla novice ☺️
It sounds like you have basic autopilot and not the $10k FSD feature. The main feature (IMO) of the $10k FSD package is the automatic lane changes. Since you don't have that, you will have to manually change lanes and reengage AP manually each time.

You'll also see that you don't have the automatic parking, summon, smart summon, automatic stopping for stop signs and traffic lights (including many green lights), and "navigate on autopilot"'s ability to automatically take exits... badly.

Reactions: PB FUTED

Tesla apologist alert! Tesla apologist alert!

Dash cam footage doesn't have a speedometer readout, how are you going to know that the car slowed down 5 mph for no f'ing reason if he posts up dash cam footage?

Just because the Beta software in your car works doesn't mean the Beta software in other cars works as good. With the last update, my phantom braking has reduced to half of the oncoming cars at night instead of all of them (a huge improvement). During the day I am down to one or two phantom brake events on my commute... much better than the 5 or 6 on the previous software. Any other car maker would be embarrassed by this "improvement", especially considering that the software it came with from the factory was much better than the iteration I am on now, with only a couple phantom brake events per week instead of a couple each commute in daylight and much worse at night.

I have great hope that after they abandon HW 3.0 and move on to HW 4.0 they will stop experimenting and stabilize the TACC software for the HW 3.0 cars and it will consistently work as well as TACCs does in a HW 2.5 car.

Keith

Reactions: bnb5550
Here's a video of Bjorn on the autobahn at 220 kph/135 mph. Using AP and no phantom braking passing cars and trucks. He has a lot of videos all of which you can review.

Like I said: "phantom" phantom braking with absolutely no evidence. Other anonymous nick have previously claimed that it was shadows or trucks or whatever and I tried and couldn't replicate. I took pictures with my phone and posted them in my response and the anonymous nicks that made those claims never provided any evidence.

I get seemingly random slow-downs when the car lets off on the accelerator on some roads while on AP, but my car doesn't brake.

Tesla apologist alert! Tesla apologist alert!

Dash cam footage doesn't have a speedometer readout, how are you going to know that the car slowed down 5 mph for no f'ing reason if he posts up dash cam footage?

Just because the Beta software in your car works doesn't mean the Beta software in other cars works as good. With the last update, my phantom braking has reduced to half of the oncoming cars at night instead of all of them (a huge improvement). During the day I am down to one or two phantom brake events on my commute... much better than the 5 or 6 on the previous software. Any other car maker would be embarrassed by this "improvement", especially considering that the software it came with from the factory was much better than the iteration I am on now, with only a couple phantom brake events per week instead of a couple each commute in daylight and much worse at night.

I have great hope that after they abandon HW 3.0 and move on to HW 4.0 they will stop experimenting and stabilize the TACC software for the HW 3.0 cars and it will consistently work as well as TACCs does in a HW 2.5 car.

Keith

Reactions: Iain
I get seemingly random slow-downs when the car lets off on the accelerator on some roads while on AP, but my car doesn't brake.
That's exactly the problematic and annoying but fairly common behavior.

In 20k I've also had two cases of full emergency braking that were either phantom or close to phantom. The first was a car in an adjacent lane considering a merge but still safely in their lane. It was hard and dangerous. The second was a fifth wheel that was a couple of inches over the line. Traffic was slow and the braking was more dangerous than just proceeding.

These are rare, though. The more common issues are 5 mph or so due to shadows or other things that are often difficult to reliably reproduce.

Here's a video of Bjorn on the autobahn at 220 kph/135 mph. Using AP and no phantom braking passing cars and trucks. He has a lot of videos all of which you can review.

Like I said: "phantom" phantom braking with absolutely no evidence. Other anonymous nick have previously claimed that it was shadows or trucks or whatever and I tried and couldn't replicate. I took pictures with my phone and posted them in my response and the anonymous nicks that made those claims never provided any evidence.

So... the car slows down all on its own without slamming on the brakes. This is the definition of phantom braking. Full on Emergency Braking is another issue (that I am also experiencing, but much less frequently).

You don't like the truth and say I am spreading FUD... and then admit you have phantom braking yourself... you just don't call it that.

Keith <--- not an anonymous nick BTW, it is a name. I am not going to help you DOX me in your quest to eradicate unbelievers in the cult of Elon by giving you further information.

Last edited:
Interesting... I use EAP pretty regularly without issue, but there are 2 locations where it consistently brakes without obstruction:

1) An intersection with a farm road near me, the road lines widen abruptly and there are no other traffic markers... the car emergency brakes.
2) Near my house, about 50 yards before a stop sign, it starts to gradually slow down. Don't mind this one because it slows down at proper time and rate for the stop sign. Intentional??? No idea.

Other than that, zero issues. But, I do disengage EAP in construction zones, when lines on road aren't clear, merges, etc. Mainly use it for highway at speed and life-saver in LA traffic jams.

My only other prolonged experience with ACC was with a Rav4 rental I had for a couple of months. Hated it, because it would aggressively slow down when someone changes into your lane in front of you.. causing angry people behind you.

End of the day, these are "assist" features so I try to treat them as such!

Last edited:
Reactions: jsight