Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Auto Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same happened to me! Had the car for a week now. I know it is on auto and am familiar with the timeframe when wipers should be on post spray, but they continued well after the windshield was completely dry. In fact, they started speeding up. Had to turn off completely.

My wipers have just started turning on for no apparent reason (no rain). I have to start wash mode and they’ll run their course, but that’s happened twice now in two days. Hope there’s a fix coming out. Harsh on the wipers to drag across a dry windshield.

My wipers have just started turning on for no apparent reason (no rain). I have to start wash mode and they’ll run their course, but that’s happened twice now in two days. Hope there’s a fix coming out. Harsh on the wipers to drag across a dry windshield.
I thought it was just me. At least a half dozen times yesterday the wipers would swipe across a dry windshield once or twice each time I put it in ‘D’. I thought maybe the camera/sensor was detecting bug splat on the windshield near the rear view mirror. But that wasn’t the case. Today, operating normally.

I have had my MY since June. This happened to me about a week after delivery. Worked fine through July, but happened again this week. I washed the windshield, and is now ok.

It works fine in rain. I will try washer again to see what happens when the car get a little dirty.

I leave mine off until I need them, and then I put them on auto. This is how I’ve done it with every car I’ve had with automatic wipers. To me the added value isn’t having the car turn them on for me, it’s having the car modulate the speed appropriately.

In the early M3 days, there were also even more issues with the auto wipers. If you left them on auto, they would start wiping with high velocity when you opened the driver’s door; soaked me several times before I could get in the car! Luckily seems they wait til you put the car in drive now ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: E-curb and bicar
I leave mine off until I need them, and then I put them on auto. This is how I’ve done it with every car I’ve had with automatic wipers. To me the added value isn’t having the car turn them on for me, it’s having the car modulate the speed appropriately.

In the early M3 days, there were also even more issues with the auto wipers. If you left them on auto, they would start wiping with high velocity when you opened the driver’s door; soaked me several times before I could get in the car! Luckily seems they wait til you put the car in drive now ;)

ditto. I leave them off until I need them. Done that for years with every other car I've owned. None of them have been perfect

How do you turn the wipers “off” ??....the only choices are Auto, or 1, 2 or 3 speeds....

Make sure the button is not blue. If it is blue it is "on"
Screenshot_20200830-183501_Google.jpg

The wipers have been so manic in my car. I have to turn them to a manual speed because auto is too intense. It’s been really rainy here the last few days so I’ve been having a lot more time with the wipers. I made the mistake of putting Rain X in the windshield fluid tank so the wipers are also chattering across the window if it’s not very damp. It also seems leave a streak across the window sometimes which I think blocks the autopilot cameras and triggers the crazy auto wiper behavior.

Came here mostly to say: don’t do rain x on the windshield like me!

IIRC the owners manual warns against using windshield washer fluid with hydrophobic characteristics like RainX or with bug cleaner in it.

Yeah, I actually had issue in my VAG cars of yesteryear with using RainX washer fluid. It would cause issues with the sensor in the washer fluid reservoir. It would build up a film on the sensor, I would have to clean is on occasion. Wonder if that’s the case with Tesla?

Reactions: Rg3500
I'm on 2020.36.3 and why do the auto wipers suck so bad?

They turn on high with a just a mist in the air and will continue to run on high forever on a dry windshield with not even as much as a sprinkle.

Nothing says convenience like having to adjust wiper speed manually every 30 seconds...