Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Auto Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will ANY glass treatment or ceramic coatings affect the AUTO wiper performance? Te detailer spray I use ays its safe on ALL surfaces including glass. So when detailing my Y I start at the top (glass roof) then down to the glass etc then on to the painted body panels. So ALL of my glass is covered with my ceramic sealer/detail spray.

And I'm going to apply C-Bond glass protector I just received.

Here are additional Voice Commands:

1.) Set Temperture - 72 degrees, etc.
2.) Decrease Fan 2 (lowers fan 2 levels), Increase Fan 3 (increase fan 3 levels).
This is the one voice command that I have experienced that should be changed to Fan Speed 1, Fan Speend 2, etc.
3.) Drives Seat On (Full Heat), Drivers Seat 1 (Level 1 heat), Drivers Seat 2 (Level 2 heat), Drivers Seat Off, etc.
4.) Call "Name"
5.) Text "Name"
6.) Dome Light On, Dome Light Off
7.) Windshield Wipers Auto, Windshield Wipers 1, Windshield Wipers 2, etc.
8.) Display Energy
9.) Fold Mirrors, Unfold Mirrors
10.) Rear Window Heat On, Rear Window heat Off
11.) Window Defrost On, Window Defrost Off
12.) Display Easter Eggs
13.) Play "Simon & Garfunkle", Play "Beetles", Play "60's Pop" Play "Time In a Bottle", Play "Unbreak My Heart", etc...
I have found the list to almost be endless...
Keep your commands as short as possible.

Here are additional Voice Commands:

1.) Set Temperture - 72 degrees, etc.
2.) Decrease Fan 2 (lowers fan 2 levels), Increase Fan 3 (increase fan 3 levels).
This is the one voice command that I have experienced that should be changed to Fan Speed 1, Fan Speend 2, etc.
3.) Drives Seat On (Full Heat), Drivers Seat 1 (Level 1 heat), Drivers Seat 2 (Level 2 heat), Drivers Seat Off, etc.
4.) Call "Name"
5.) Text "Name"
6.) Dome Light On, Dome Light Off
7.) Windshield Wipers Auto, Windshield Wipers 1, Windshield Wipers 2, etc.
8.) Display Energy
9.) Fold Mirrors, Unfold Mirrors
10.) Rear Window Heat On, Rear Window heat Off
11.) Window Defrost On, Window Defrost Off
12.) Display Easter Eggs
13.) Play "Simon & Garfunkle", Play "Beetles", Play "60's Pop" Play "Time In a Bottle", Play "Unbreak My Heart", etc...
I have found the list to almost be endless...
Keep your commands as short as possible.
How do you open the glovebox?

That is one that I have not gotten to work as of yet.

Currently, I simply touch the Car symbol on the Task Bar and then touch the Glove Box button on the lower left of the Screen.

Here are more:
1.) Dog Mode On, Dog Mode Off
2.) 75 miles per hour
3.) Camp Mode On, Camp Mode Off
4.) Open Charge Port Open, Close Charge Port
5.) Open Games, Close Games
6.) Right Rear Seat On 1, Right Rear Seat On 2, Center Rear Seat On, Right Rear Seat Off
(If you only state Right Seat On, etc. they turn on the High setting, you must include the level number if you wish to have a level besides High.)
7.) Rear Camera On, Rear Camera On
8.) Open Web, Close Web
9.) Open Calendar, Close Calendar
10.) Open Entertainment, Close Entertainment

Being able to ask the Infotainment System to play a particular song is one of my absolute favorite features.
When my Grandson is in the car, Play "Baby Shark"... or Disney Songs, Mary Poppins Songs, etc...

Have fun...

Last edited:
How do you open the glovebox?

HA! Still waiting on that one.

For those wondering, the "Open the glovebox" command works on the Model 3, was in the owner's manual for the Model Y back in March but has since been removed and does not currently work with the latest update for the Model Y.

We may never see a voice command for opening the glovebox but who knows?

Reactions: alexcue
I have found that they are very sensitive to contaminates on the windshield. I went to college in Florida and my mother in law lived there for 25 years. I would suggest the you clean the window glass very well. My experience is that if it sees something in front of the sensor it will go full bore trying to remove it.

Will ANY glass treatment or ceramic coatings affect the AUTO wiper performance? Te detailer spray I use ays its safe on ALL surfaces including glass. So when detailing my Y I start at the top (glass roof) then down to the glass etc then on to the painted body panels. So ALL of my glass is covered with my ceramic sealer/detail spray.

And I'm going to apply C-Bond glass protector I just received.

I actually just got mine coated after posting this and they don’t chatter anymore. Also if the rain is light enough it really beads to the point of not even needing wipers. I haven’t experience heavy rain with the coating yet, but so far very happy with it. I still have it set to auto and they have definitely gotten better since coating.

I'm on 2020.36.3 and why do the auto wipers suck so bad?

They turn on high with a just a mist in the air and will continue to run on high forever on a dry windshield with not even as much as a sprinkle.

Nothing says convenience like having to adjust wiper speed manually every 30 seconds...
You have something in front of the sensor and in auto mode it is attempting to remove the obstacle...

Last edited:
OMG i thought i was alone!

Today it snowed and the wipers went apeshit! Fast when it was a little snow but alot coming down on the window and it stayed off in auto mode.

I ended up turning them off entirely. Disappointing as the autowipers in my ford raptor were not perfect but worked much better!

I literally just but rain x freezing fluid in mine before reading this thread as well lol