Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - back seat's small rattle noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

On my model Y, when I drive local roads (20-40mph), I can hear some small rattle noise coming from the back seat (the sound is like using two piece of papers and rub them to each other, or like a plastic bag moving). Do you have any ideas what may cause that?

I already put in Service appointment for this (as well as doors and trim alignments, back seat misalignment when looking from the hatch), hope Tesla Service Center can find and fix these...

YES! I have/had this issue as well and it was driving me batty! I found that it was center headrest rubbing against the right rear seat. Try folding the smaller, right side seat down and see if it goes away. I ended up just lifting the center head rest about an inch or so and that stops it.

• Helpful
Reactions: IronMeow
Thank you, gentlemen, for your responses. I tested them out and can confirm the center headrest is the culprit. However, when trying to raise it up, it only have 1 notch to lock in (at the highest point). When locking in and doing a test drive, I now hear a different type of vibration coming from that headrest @@ what the...

I tried to raise it 1-2 inch above the right seat like NovemberXray mentioned as well, but it slides back and touches the right seat again after a couple bumps (due to no notch to lock in at this minimum raise). I guess I have to live with this rattle issue until Tesla Service Center has a look at my back seat (misalignment happened as well), and maybe replaces the entire back seat...

Obviously only a temporary fix, but you could stick something under the headrest, like a tennis ball or something else soft(ish) to keep it from going all the way down. I'll be curious to see how Tesla can solve this though, as I expect if the seats were tight enough together to prevent any rubbing the switch release in the rear might not work, and I doubt they could make them so far apart they didn't touch. Hopefully they come up with something. Let us know if you get an official fix!

I have the same issue. Just diagnosed today with the same differing rattling sounds in both positions. Mobile service came out and they were unable to resolve it. I believe it is the metal arms rattling against the internal assembly. I think if I Was able to figure out how to get in there and put some thin felt or other fabric in the channels it would eliminate it, but I can't figure out how to get the back seat cover off.

I have a similar, very faint rattle. Going to try some of these suggestions! I have mobile service coming out monday to install homelink, I noticed my tailgate taillight pieces rub together on the passenger side when opening/closing. I'm going to ask if he can try to align that too as maybe this could be the sound as well.

Same exact issue caused by the center headrest rubbing against the right seat. Sticking a sock between the seat fixes it for now. When I took it in for other issues, this was one of the things I asked Tesla to look into. They, of course, said nothing was wrong.

I had same and Service ordered new parts to replace - they know about this. I went to my service appt and I guess the colors on the new parts did not match, so they reordered and will replace the parts at my house next week. Not sure which parts on the seats/headrests, but they have been redesigned and this service should fix the issue.

upload_2020-7-15_22-59-34.png

Hello. I am hearing noise from rear seats, and I think it comes from the area marked on the picture.
Here is the link for the recording of the noise
Recording_4.wav
Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I've brought in my car for the same rattle too, and the service guy told me they didn't hear anything... I don't know how he missed it. I'm thinking maybe I should try a different service location, since the one i've visited (twice now for various issues) basically haven't done anything :/