Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Battery Calibration

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
Hello everyone, I wanted to share this with anyone interested in restoring those lost range miles. May 2020 Build AWD with 19” Gemini wheels.

So this Model Y with 17,385 miles has degraded to 294 miles on 100%

when I first got the car it was rated at 326 but I only would max out at 316 miles at 100% charged.

So a few weeks ago I took a trip to Yuma Az from San Diego, Ca. It’s about 2 hours 45 minute run at around 187 miles. Starting miles was 294.

Since that trip I have ran the battery down to 5% and most times 8-9% to the full 100%

I kept doing this and saw the range increasing, it would stay at 302 for a few cycles and then get to 306 and then stay at 308 for 3 cycles and this last time I charged at 20 Amps to 100% and it took me back to 310 a miles, that’s all I wanted to see.

The reason for this excessive battery calibration and I think I did this like 11 times, not the 3 or 4 cycles was that tomorrow I head out on a road trip to Tennessee and from there to Key West, Tampa, New Orleans and back home. Here are some pictures of today’s results.

8792A2DB-92DF-404E-A483-08A0F167255C.jpeg

D177411B-5B41-4C4B-AFA8-8173050D027C.jpeg

B1E707A3-1EB0-4CC6-9823-89F3295F9D15.jpeg

268BB0B4-DFA7-43DB-BF7B-34D1FC750A87.jpeg

Fred

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
Thank you for sharing your results. After 10+ full charge to deep discharge cycles of the Tesla's battery your Tesla now displays 5% more range than if you had just driven the Tesla, charged as you had been doing for the past year. If you are traveling cross country and presumably using the Supercharger network would you ever be in a situation where the additional 5% (16 miles) of estimated range would make a difference? I would plan on stopping to charge at a Supercharger every 2 to 3 hours (at most) so the additional range would not be a factor.

sgalla04

Mar 24, 2021
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Thank you for sharing your results. After 10+ full charge to deep discharge cycles of the Tesla's battery your Tesla now displays 5% more range than if you had just driven the Tesla, charged as you had been doing for the past year. If you are traveling cross country and presumably using the Supercharger network would you ever be in a situation where the additional 5% (16 miles) of estimated range would make a difference? I would plan on stopping to charge at a Supercharger every 2 to 3 hours (at most) so the additional range would not be a factor.
I'm curious to know if this "increase in range" is really true or just a visual calculation. Specifically, let's say true 100% is 320 miles and it is showing 290. Are you able to theoretically still travel the 320 even though it shows 290? I realize you aren't going to bring it down to 0% and in real life you can expect lower than the estimate, but curious to know if you are actually gaining true range or just showing a more accurate expected range. Because if the entire time the car is still able to drive 320 miles, then calibrating it isn't too important. But I get it, for road trips then it will better calculate distances and % to next supercharger. So I do see a benefit.

Does anyone know if their car is actually able to drive further post a calibration or is it just a visual estimate improvement?

Reactions: Redekw
Oct 3, 2020
Seattle
I'm curious to know if this "increase in range" is really true or just a visual calculation. Specifically, let's say true 100% is 320 miles and it is showing 290. Are you able to theoretically still travel the 320 even though it shows 290? I realize you aren't going to bring it down to 0% and in real life you can expect lower than the estimate, but curious to know if you are actually gaining true range or just showing a more accurate expected range. Because if the entire time the car is still able to drive 320 miles, then calibrating it isn't too important. But I get it, for road trips then it will better calculate distances and % to next supercharger. So I do see a benefit.

Does anyone know if their car is actually able to drive further post a calibration or is it just a visual estimate improvement?

Yes, you can* travel further than what is displayed.. because this is not dependent on whether or not the BMS sees the available capacity. In fact, there was an article that was recently posted about this particular subject, which I think was on electrek.co.

Unlike a ICE's gas tank, an EV's battery capacity is very difficult to measure.. even for the BMS. In the end, the max potential range is dependent on the available battery capacity, which can only be accurately measured by going on a +300 mile road trip in one go. You then use the Wh/mi and distance traveled (GPS) results, while factoring in the percent error in distance traveled that the vehicle believes it traveled, to do the math and reveal the available capacity. Being that you are often unable to discharge down to 0%, you can add the remaining charge on top of the measured capacity from 100% down to wherever you had to end the test.

In the end, the accuracy of the calibration does not impact the distance that the MY is able to travel, the only control you have over that is with your right foot.

Last edited:

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
This is a great data point for fellow owners!

You've put on a lot of miles in the past year and your battery degradation is almost nil.

It's pretty amazing that the best way to maintain your Tesla's battery is to use it constantly fully.

Thanks for sharing.

Hello everyone, I wanted to share this with anyone interested in restoring those lost range miles. May 2020 Build AWD with 19” Gemini wheels.

So this Model Y with 17,385 miles has degraded to 294 miles on 100%

when I first got the car it was rated at 326 but I only would max out at 316 miles at 100% charged.

So a few weeks ago I took a trip to Yuma Az from San Diego, Ca. It’s about 2 hours 45 minute run at around 187 miles. Starting miles was 294.

Since that trip I have ran the battery down to 5% and most times 8-9% to the full 100%

I kept doing this and saw the range increasing, it would stay at 302 for a few cycles and then get to 306 and then stay at 308 for 3 cycles and this last time I charged at 20 Amps to 100% and it took me back to 310 a miles, that’s all I wanted to see.

The reason for this excessive battery calibration and I think I did this like 11 times, not the 3 or 4 cycles was that tomorrow I head out on a road trip to Tennessee and from there to Key West, Tampa, New Orleans and back home. Here are some pictures of today’s results.

View attachment 663686

View attachment 663687
View attachment 663688

View attachment 663689

Fred

Oct 3, 2020
Seattle
It's a bit ironic that the way to show the least degradation is to deep charge to 100% many times - which accelerates degradation.

There's nothing ironic about it from my perspective. You're helping the BMS see the capacity that was invisible to it by demonstrating that there is in fact available capacity beyond what it was estimating.

Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC