Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model y battery upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Match-E 100KW battery, Is there any chance that Tesla will boosts the Y's battery to 100KW.
There are putting a larger battery on S and X.
The delta price between the Model 3 and the Model Y is about $4k, so the batteries should be the same.

However, it is possibly that in the future a 100 kWh could be expected, along with adaptive air suspension (and may be a Plaid 3 motors...)

The delta price between the Model 3 and the Model Y is about $4k, so the batteries should be the same.

However, it is possibly that in the future a 100 kWh could be expected, along with adaptive air suspension (and may be a Plaid 3 motors...)

But at what cost - I doubt there are many people interested in paying $70-80k for a small crossover. You're basically pricing the car into model X territory now. I'm interested to see the Cybertruck battery sizes. If you can get a 100kw battery for $50k in cybertruck form, I'm not sure of the value proposition of a Model Y if I have to pay more for less.

I'd love a larger battery as well (who wouldn't, right?). I'm cautiously optimistic that the Model Y will launch with more battery capacity than what is currently shipping with Model 3's today.

Space-wise - the wheelbase, and therefore physical pack-size is the same with the Model 3, so expanding the pack's physical footprint to increase cell count seems like a definite no.

Cell chemistry - this is the most likely IMHO. It's been 2.5 years (July 2017) since the Model 3 entered production and depending on exactly when the Model Y starts production could be approaching 3 years between those models. I think its certainly possible that they'd have an incremental (5% ??) increase in capacity over a 3 year span. I'd expect that they'd then roll out this upgrade to all Model 3's at the same time to keep things consistent between the models.

With Match-E 100KW battery, Is there any chance that Tesla will boosts the Y's battery to 100KW. There are putting a larger battery on S and X.
Y? the mach e 100 kwh pack does not have the range of the tesla 80. The mach e has to drop batteries to reduce weight to get the performance specs the Y P does. The mach e is purely hopeful specs. The mach e is sold out and is a low volume compliance vehicle. Appears to me tesla does not have to compete with a company they clearly dominate.

That said I would love the range a 100 kwh pack would bring. Heck I would love a 10% increase in energy density of the batteries in the 80 pack. Both do not appear to be the case at this time based on the CARB for the Y P.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
It looks like they made the Model Y more efficient, not an increase in capacity. From the Q4 2019 earnings report (source: https://ir.tesla.com/static-files/b3cf7f5e-546a-4a65-9888-c928b914b529) they're claiming 4 mi per kWh which with a 75kWh pack is 333mi. Obviously some rough math, but it looks to align.

Exciting for sure, I'm curious how they did it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200129-170301.png
    Screenshot_20200129-170301.png
    196.2 KB · Views: 70
Maybe using some of the Raven tricks on the Y. Higher technology ceramic bearings, better battery management, slight tweeking of the aerodynamics etc. could be some of the reasons. It could also be that they were previously sandbagging a little. Now with more testing done, perhaps EPA numbers are coming even better than early predictions.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Y? the mach e 100 kwh pack does not have the range of the tesla 80. The mach e has to drop batteries to reduce weight to get the performance specs the Y P does. The mach e is purely hopeful specs. The mach e is sold out and is a low volume compliance vehicle. Appears to me tesla does not have to compete with a company they clearly dominate.

That said I would love the range a 100 kwh pack would bring. Heck I would love a 10% increase in energy density of the batteries in the 80 pack. Both do not appear to be the case at this time based on the CARB for the Y P.
A lot of errors in your statements.

When Ford says their Mach-e is sold out, it only means that dealerships have placed orders. It does not mean that customers have purchased them all. The dealerships still need to sell all those cars to end users. Will charge large premiums if they have more orders than allocations or large discounts if the pre-orders don't finalize.

It looks like they made the Model Y more efficient, not an increase in capacity. From the Q4 2019 earnings report (source: https://ir.tesla.com/static-files/b3cf7f5e-546a-4a65-9888-c928b914b529) they're claiming 4 mi per kWh which with a 75kWh pack is 333mi. Obviously some rough math, but it looks to align.

Exciting for sure, I'm curious how they did it

Keep an eye on those CARB results....discussed here.

On-Road New Vehicle & Engine Certification Program

To me it looks like they might have just updated the 5-to-2-cycle scalar to make it look better. They do this on other vehicles too...Model S for example...

I just put in some rough highway results here and then scaled up with the scaling factor to make it match the 315 number. We'll see. If there's yet another CARB updated number, maybe they really did get the efficiency improvement. It's still really good regardless.

This works out to ~245Wh/mi, or 4.08 mi/kWh.

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 8.47.36 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hoang51
So now Elon is talking about a big reveal in April about battery tech improving. So can someone who knows more than me comment on how long that's likely to take and whether i should still get a model Y or wait a bit? (as a long time computer geek, i also know that you can always wonder stuff like this, but this is a big decision)

So now Elon is talking about a big reveal in April about battery tech improving. So can someone who knows more than me comment on how long that's likely to take and whether i should still get a model Y or wait a bit? (as a long time computer geek, i also know that you can always wonder stuff like this, but this is a big decision)
If you always wait until the next new and greatest GPU, CPU or flat screen to come out you can be waiting a very long time. Wait 5 to 10 years and you may get soild state batteries that make current batteries look like a 1080P. Need to make a decision based on your needs and requirements which no one can decide but you.

With the (good news @ 12%) range increase one may say that Model Y may have the current battery and efficiency tweets but one would assume the 2 min charge solid state battery is not in the cards. The million mile battery may not be in the cards. As long as the batteries no longer get nerfed they should be OK for a few years.

Reactions: Aarons12
@Shayne thanks. i wasn't likely to change my mind unless someone with good info thought a major change would happen within a year or so. my original plan had been to lease for 2 more years (i've lease all my adult life for business) then buy an electric to keep. that was before tesla announced the early deliveries. i'm not waiting, actually starting to decide how i want to customize it!

Reactions: JeffnReno
  • Helpful
Reactions: hoang51
Heh... Oops. You're right my math is off :oops:

Im hoping that these gains aren't purely tires, as my Model 3 took a heck of a range hit when I changed them for performance all seasons. To say nothing of my snow tires and general winter life in an EV. Efficiency is great, but I'd love some more raw capacity

Reactions: ElectricIAC