Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y , black vs white interior comfort difference.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did my second test drive, both with black seats. The first test drive was good but the seats in the second (in a brand new MYLR) felt noticeably nicer. The leather was softer on the seats and on the center console. It might have just been that it was newer than the car I took the first drive in, but I definitely noticed a difference.

I had white on my M3 and now black on my MY - I didn’t really notice a difference. White was great but tends to show more dirt of course. If it matters white makes the tint appear lighter so my wife would think I should have gotten a darker tint when it fact it’s the same I put on my MY.

The white interior is not hard to clean at all. I have yet to have anything stain it. Obviously if you eat in the car crumbs on the seat show more easily but I feel that is a good think as I'd rather see them to clean them up than have them hide and decay. It's not like any traditional white material you have ever dealt with. I love them and will be hard pressed to go back to a dark interior ever again.

Assuming the seats haven't changed since 2018 Model 3, I can provide an owner's comparison as we have one of each.

Black interior: easier to clean (except sunblock stains, which are hard to remove), requires less maintenance. That's it, that's the only advantage.
White interior: looks great, feels lighter and airier inside, stays way cooler than white (you will appreciate that in Houston), still easy to keep clean (just a weekly wipe). All of these are huge advantages IMHO.

I can't say white is softer than black. It may be just a perception based on looks and how nice and light the interior feels. But perception is reality, so....

Unless you are really lazy and can't bother to do a 2 minute wipe down every so often, OR you wear jeans all the time (in which case I would be slightly concerned about jean dye transfer), I would pick white in a heartbeat. I will add that I apply a ceramic coating protection layer every 9-12 months out of abundance of caution and the fact that I love the interior so much and don't want to risk dye transfer.

I also think white wud luk better, but we decided to get the white exterior (the other colors didn’t really feel any special other than that they were different) and don’t wanna overdo the white; also feel that black interior will nicely complement the white exterior!

I had black for 16k miles in a 2022 MYP. I have a MYP showing up soon with white. Based on my experience with the M3, the white is softer and more comfortable. I have never sat in a MY with white seats, but I can give you a comparison in a week or so.

Is the easiest way to clean the white to use baby wipes?
What other way do you clean them?
Just ordered a white YP interior so just curious.
My 2021 MY LR had the black interior.
Basic cleaning can be done with baby wipes. But after a while, you will need special cleaning agent. Don't use hard stuff.

Reactions: voom500