Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Black window Trim chips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know a solution to touch up these scratches on the black trim around the window? Does Teslas paint repair kit work for this or just on the exterior paint?
68E1C840-BF53-4D7B-973F-19B24A48308B.jpeg
A4243918-0610-463B-B1E2-650BD250F8C2.jpeg

As far as I understand, the black trim on our MY is actually aluminum oxide colored black in the anodization process.

As a result, I don't think you'll ever quite get the right effect with paint. You might try this product from Caswell, which is a big name in anodizing, otherwise sharpie is a temporary but potential alternative.

Reactions: Dev0007
Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for your replies. I sort of figured out how the scratch came about. This particular location seems to be the first contact point on the trim that the glass makes when the door closes, IF the window is fully up position when the door is open. Again, the window glass is not supposed to be in full up position when the door is open but there are cases I found online that this has happened before due to third party puddle lights or puddle light malfunction. Again, I honestly don’t know if this has happened on my car. I also got my windows tinted couple of weeks back so I wonder if this happened at the tint shop. But I just noticed this yesterday. I purchased this “Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black Touch-Up Pen” On Amazon as I saw some reviews that it might work (cost only 5$ so why not). I will see if that works out. If not, I have the service appointment in a week and will see what the Tesla service guy says. Worst case scenario will just suck it up and get the darn thing replaced…

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for your replies. I sort of figured out how the scratch came about. This particular location seems to be the first contact point on the trim that the glass makes when the door closes, IF the window is fully up position when the door is open. Again, the window glass is not supposed to be in full up position when the door is open but there are cases I found online that this has happened before due to third party puddle lights or puddle light malfunction. Again, I honestly don’t know if this has happened on my car. I also got my windows tinted couple of weeks back so I wonder if this happened at the tint shop. But I just noticed this yesterday. I purchased this “Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black Touch-Up Pen” On Amazon as I saw some reviews that it might work (cost only 5$ so why not). I will see if that works out. If not, I have the service appointment in a week and will see what the Tesla service guy says. Worst case scenario will just suck it up and get the darn thing replaced…
I'd be willing to bet your tint shop caused that damage from closing the door with the window glass fully up. Tint shops will "trip" the door mechanism to fully raise the window with the door open to apply the tint. If they forget to lower the window a bit before closing, the glass will contact the trim.

Reactions: Dev0007
Upvote 0
I'd be willing to bet your tint shop caused that damage from closing the door with the window glass fully up. Tint shops will "trip" the door mechanism to fully raise the window with the door open to apply the tint. If they forget to lower the window a bit before closing, the glass will contact the trim.
That is my biggest suspicion is too.. But I think it is too late. I think anyone who thinks of getting windows tinted should be aware of this and take pictures of the car all around before and right after at the tint shop. I wish I had done more research prior to tinting... Anyway.. will see how it goes . Thanks for the response :)

Upvote 0
That is my biggest suspicion is too.. But I think it is too late. I think anyone who thinks of getting windows tinted should be aware of this and take pictures of the car all around before and right after at the tint shop. I wish I had done more research prior to tinting... Anyway.. will see how it goes . Thanks for the response :)
Agreed. I told my tint guy and he was well aware of the issue. It also reassured me that he had about 6 other Tesli in the Xpel shop getting tint.

Upvote 0
Agreed. I told my tint guy and he was well aware of the issue. It also reassured me that he had about 6 other Tesli in the Xpel shop getting tint.
Update: So the tesla service guy visited me earlier this week. He did mention that he had seen this before and also his suspicion on this happened during the window tinting. He also showed me how it could have happened and asked if I have any third party components such as puddle lights installed, which I do not. However, he was extremely nice and said that there is no way he could confirm that this occurred at the tint shop as he has seen this under different circumstances too and he will replace it under warranty :D
It took like 30mins for him to replace the part.

Upvote 0
Update: So the tesla service guy visited me earlier this week. He did mention that he had seen this before and also his suspicion on this happened during the window tinting. He also showed me how it could have happened and asked if I have any third party components such as puddle lights installed, which I do not. However, he was extremely nice and said that there is no way he could confirm that this occurred at the tint shop as he has seen this under different circumstances too and he will replace it under warranty :D
It took like 30mins for him to replace the part.
How much did it cost to replace the window trim pieces?

Upvote 0