Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Blind Spot Camera when indicating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a fan of the blind spot cameras coming on when you indicate (v11), but IMO it would be more effective if the gear lever and signal stalks were swapped round so that when you use the indicator stalk your hand is not blocking the camera view on the screen. What are the odds of them moving swapping the stalks around 🤣

With further use, I will get used to moving my hand down the steering wheel a little when using the indicator stalk, but wanted to share my experience.

It’s been a problem since it was added. I’m guessing it’s less of a problem with LHD because, as you say, your hand isn’t naturally in that position on those cars.

Hopefully Tesla will rethink where it comes up, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. It seems like something that could easily have been fixed in a firmware update, but hasn’t.

I had it turned on for a while but have now turned it off. Blind spot warnings should be in the wing mirror for me as thats the direction you should be looking. It would also be better if it told you something was there rather than showed a picture where you had to work it out. The car kind of knows already as it must have some sort of logic for lane change on EAP/FSD.

Well, it's not even a warning system. If it were it would be a nice improvement. As it is, it's really just a substitute for looking in your wing mirror, which you could argue is perhaps dangerous as you might become reliant on it when you should be using your wing mirrors anyway. I'm a sucker for new features so I turned it on immediately.

You would think though given that the car can see (and render) other cars that it could combine the blind spot camera feed with some kind of alert to warn you of cars moving into the space you're about to try and go into, much like the collision avoidance system marks cars it thinks you're going to hit in red.

In fairness to it, the car using the mirror and not turning you head has a sizeable blindspot, where the mirror won't show anything but empty road, but there's a car there. That camera view shows that blindspot nicely.

Agree it really needs to be somewhere else, as the moment my hand blocks it. That's at the very least. I also agree that much better would be where the mirrors are, and even better still only warn you if there's something there.

I am a fan of the blind spot cameras coming on when you indicate (v11), but IMO it would be more effective if the gear lever and signal stalks were swapped round so that when you use the indicator stalk your hand is not blocking the camera view on the screen. What are the odds of them moving swapping the stalks around 🤣

With further use, I will get used to moving my hand down the steering wheel a little when using the indicator stalk, but wanted to share my experience.
That's only because you drive on the wrong side of the road :). Honestly I think they should put it at the top left and right of the screen when you activate them. It's useless to look so far down and on the wrong side based on which way you're signaling. I can handle not knowing my speed for a couple seconds turning or switching lanes is the priority. Right now the feature is useless I feel.

Top left is too far over in my opinion, and top right would completely obscure important information, so seems unlikely.

I think the best solution is possibly to overlay it at the bottom right hand corner of the map area (bottom left for LHD)

Top left is too far over in my opinion, and top right would completely obscure important information, so seems unlikely.
They could very easily have the image in the top right of the screen with the speed display overlaid on top of it. There's nothing else in that corner you would need to be looking at in the few seconds you're signalling to turn.

That's only because you drive on the wrong side of the road :). Honestly I think they should put it at the top left and right of the screen when you activate them. It's useless to look so far down and on the wrong side based on which way you're signaling. I can handle not knowing my speed for a couple seconds turning or switching lanes is the priority. Right now the feature is useless I feel.
We drive on the RIGHT side of the road! 😉

I find it useless. If I’m turning right why would I look down and left at the screen and if I’m turning left why would I look down at the screen? It should be a light in the wing mirror to indicate something is there and then I’ll glance down, maybe. But as I ride motorcycles I always look back over my shoulder to check while I’m driving anyway. Force of habit.

Swapping the stalks for RHD would cause more problems than it solved, but nice lateral thinking- it hadn’t come up on my earlier thread:

We drive on the RIGHT side of the road! 😉

I find it useless. If I’m turning right why would I look down and left at the screen and if I’m turning left why would I look down at the screen? It should be a light in the wing mirror to indicate something is there and then I’ll glance down, maybe. But as I ride motorcycles I always look back over my shoulder to check while I’m driving anyway. Force of habit.
:) I agree the light on the mirrors is the best option you're already looking at the appropriate place why move it to the middle of the car. They could be little space X symbols for all I care if Elon wants something fun.

Reactions: Undecided_2
I found myself quickly being “reliant” on the camera, then recently in some manoeuvre which I cannot recall the exact details of, the camera failed to come on. I stupidly continued the move as if on autopilot myself.

You really have to treat these things as advisory I think, of course we all drive 100% of the time being fully alert and observant however on this one occasion I actually think I may have moved the car whilst staring dumbly at the space where the normal camera view would have been.

I still have them active but continue to look over my shoulder and use my mirrors.

Well, I’m in the same boat. I tried to like it but it’s too annoying. No matter if I put my hand at 10 and 2 or 9 and 3, my wrist always blocks the pop up. I then have to tilt my head over or move/remove my wrist. All of which are unnecessary.

I look forward to an update to happen so that I can see this improve. I ended up disabling the feature and now enjoy my side mirrors.

There are other areas that the pop up can be to make better use of rot. I had this feature on my previous car and it was GREAT so I was excited when it was going to come to Tesla. Until they update this I will be okay with not using this feature.

I recommend (for cars driving in the right side of the road) the pop up should appear on the top middle of the left side of the screen. Above the image of your vehicle while you drive.

On my Model 3, the position of the stalks is irrelevant. In my seating position with hands on wheel the blind spot screen is pretty much totally obscured. Only Tesla could put a blind spot monitor in a blind spot.

I have a similar but not quite as bad issue with the speed display, it was fine when it was in the centre but then they decided to reduce its prominence and move it to the right of the screen.

Would be great if they could put as much thought into the interface as they do for fart noises and boom box etc.

Swapping the stalks for RHD would cause more problems than it solved, but nice lateral thinking
It’s how RHD designed cars used to be - until the 80s/90s, cars built in the UK or Japan had indicators on the right so you could change gear and flick the indicators at the same time. The problem was European manufacturers wouldn’t do a full RHD conversion and swap their stalks over so there was no consistency.

Not sure if a laws passed or just international agreement but we now have the indicators on the left convention.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha