Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y body structure change allows a more unobstructed Pano view

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per Teslarati:

" Particularly notable is how well the Panoramic glass roof worked with the Model Y’s SUV form factor, allowing a full, unobstructed view of the sky. It should be noted that the glass roof does not have a center cross member such as the one found in the Model 3, effectively making the Model Y’s glass roof arguably the most stunning in Tesla’s lineup. Teslarati was told that this would make it to production.

That one caught me by surprise. I can remember during the Model 3 design phase that we speculated on why Tesla didn't go with a hatch because they wanted a more unobstructed view thru the pano roof.

The logic was that the big cross member that would be required to support the hinges for the hatch would interfere with rear passenger view thru the pano roof.

So much for that defective logic as it appears the hatch actually results in a MORE unobstructed view from the rear seats.

Here's the slides that show the added cross member in the Model 3 and how that compares to Model Y.

Slide2.JPG
Slide3.JPG

If you have a Model 3 please comment on the view from the rear seat. Does that cross member in the Model 3 effect the view thru the pano roof??

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
There was a similar irony (as well as confusion) with the Model S. The so-called "All-Glass Panoramic Roof" was the one with the rigid structural cross-member and side reinforcement, making it neither all-glass nor panoramic, not to mention it was a sunroof.

Whereas the more simply named "Glass Roof" was the one that was in fact all-glass and panoramic ....

Makes me wonder if someone in Tesla Marketing thinks the word "panoramic" actually means "rigid structure".

Reactions: glide
Tesla probably finalized the major components of the model 3, like pillar locations, in early 2015. It now seems likely that the engineering of these aspects of the car was not particularly sophisticated. The model Y is likely closer to the state of the art in body construction.

Tesla and their vendor may also now be more confident in how the roof glass stiffens the structure.

I wonder how much head room and foot rest space there would be on the third row?

View attachment 387490

View attachment 387491
I think the forward seats and cluster on the Y are further forward, which would allow the rear seat to be slightly more forward. The doors on the Y are significantly longer. You can see the difference I. The fenders between the wheel and door gaps.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Wasn't the idea with the Model 3 that the rear piece of glass roof was supposed to be combined with the rear windshield? I genuinely think Tesla chose to do that over an all glass roof. Bad idea.

It's cool but utterly useless from a rear passenger standpoint.

Tesla made the rear glass of the 3 so large for added headroom. The lack of a cross member over the rear passenger heads made the one behind the drivers heads necessary. Now that they have a taller vehicle with the Y they can have the cross member behind the passengers heads. So the one behind the drivers heads is removed. The one behind the rear passengers heads allows for the removal of the rear fixed tray above the trunk. So just like the S/X the Y becomes a hatchback.

Tesla made the rear glass of the 3 so large for added headroom.
The lack of a cross member over the rear passenger heads made the one behind the drivers heads necessary.
Now that they have a taller vehicle with the Y they can have the cross member behind the passengers heads.
So the one behind the drivers heads is removed.
The one behind the rear passengers heads allows for the removal of the rear fixed tray above the trunk.
So just like the S/X the Y becomes a hatchback.
There is also a big difference with the Model X roof, whose rear roof view is obstructed with the folding door mechanism.

myrg .jpg

mxr1.jpg

mxr2.jpg

Images from Youtube Tesla Motors Fan