Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Boot lid creak on opening/close- Fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had posted about this issue in a somewhat related thread but it’s pretty buried and doesn’t show up when searching for boot noises (possibly due to our friends’ desire to call it a trunk).

Anyway - had a metallic creaking sound near the passenger side boot lid hinge as it finished opening or started closing. Initial service centre appointment basically applied WD40 and shockingly this did eff all. Re-booked a ranger appointment and scoured forums in the interim.

Found a suggestion from US on Reddit that it’s the two sheets that are welded together to make the lid, rubbing together. Fix was to insert expanding foam in the space between them. After some initial exploration, I suggested this to the rangers and they took off the lid trim, found the crevice, which is just to left of the passenger side hinge, next to the spot weld and packed it with their vibration damping foam. Worked a treat. I think just eases the sheets away from each other very slightly, which is all it needs.

So if anyone else has this creak, which seems likely, hopefully this can help you direct service tech as to what to do.

I have the same issue. I am having difficulty picturing what you did to get rid of the problem. Can you share some pictures or a video on what you did to fix this? Much appreciated.
I’m afraid I didn’t take pictures as the service team were doing it. But basically the interior trim that runs around the boot lid and to the glass comes away with a firm pull, revealing the metal work. They had trim tools to help remove it. Just to the left of the where the hinge is welded to the body frame, there is a small cavity between the two sheets of metal. The two sheets of metal were actually rubbing together slightly as the boot lid reached fully open (and the hinge applied pressure), causing the creak noise. So, you want to pack that cavity with insulating/anti rattle foam to prevent them rubbing together. Hope that helps.

Same issue here. They put adhesive on one side of the trunk which spread out all over and made a mess, and then the creak came back 6 months later. It turns out there were just a ton of failed spot welds, and now the issue has spread to the other side of the trunk. Seems like some BS that Tesla's fix for this is to fill in a bunch of adhesive with an unknown lifespan rather than fixing the failed welds or replacing the trunk.

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR