Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Brake Controller 4-pin Pigtail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model Y on June 30th, with the factory hitch already installed.
I'm hoping to soon get a fold-up camping trailer in the 1600 lb range for dry weight.
It might end up a little heavier when loaded.

So, the Owner's manual say Tesla recommends for trailers over 1650 lbs that they be equipped with electric brakes and a third-party brake controller. There are instructions for how to connect the brake controller.
The way I interpret the instructions is that there is a vehicle 4-pin connector in the driver's footwell, AND, the car comes with a separate 4-pin pigtail that you must splice to the proper leads on the third-party brake controller before plugging it into the vehicle's connector.

I haven't found the separate pigtail on my vehicle yet, although I haven't peeled back the carpet in the driver's footwell to see if it got stashed along with the vehicle's connector. The Littleton SC tells me that the third-party brake controller will come with a universal connector that plugs into Tesla's connector and that no pigtail is included with the car.

I've looked at several threads in this forum, but not found anything definitive on where this pigtail will be if it's in the car. I see where at least one person ordered one, but my SC couldn't come up with a part number for me to order one.

So my question is, has anyone found the pigtail in their hitched equipped Y? If so, where did you find it? A picture or part number would be great!
Conversely, if I really have misunderstood the manual, and the Tesla's brake controller connector is a universal type, I'd be glad to know that too.

For reference, Here are the instructions from theOwner's Manual:
Follow these steps to connect a brake controller:
1. Connect the wiring on the brake controller to the appropriate locations on the 4-pin pigtail connector included with your vehicle.
2. Remove the cover located under the dashboard in the driver’s side footwell.
3. Peel back the carpet to expose the vehicle's 4-pin connector on the wiring harness.
4. Connect the pigtail connector to the vehicle wiring connector.

Reactions: Patrick66
Just wanted to add, I couldn't be happier with the Model Y, except for the pigtail question, and a couple little paint chips, both already fixed, it's been perfect!
The delivery experience in the last hours of June 30th was a bit hectic, but I did get all my questions answered before driving off in my new Y (except the question about the pigtail). :)

We picked up our new Y with towing hitch yesterday and had the same question about the pigtail. The checklist we used said to make sure the pigtail was included, but the delivery techs also told us no pigtail is needed (???....). I interpret the manual the same way as you do.
I wonder whet the real story is.

Also - LOVE the new Y. I was expecting the worse after reading horrible QC stories here and other blogs. The condition of the car was almost flawless. The only issue we found was the rear seats folding mechanism was a little tight, preventing the auto-fold down from working properly all of the time, The people at the delivery center were fantastic and extremely helpful and accommodating.
Shout out to the staff at the Chicago delivery center (Grand Ave)!

Reactions: fly4fun
Any resolution on this?
Nope, no resolution.
In the Tesla Parts Catalog for the Model X (for comparison) the brake controller pigtail is listed as:
ASY,HARN,TRAILER BRAKE ECU ADAPTER
1072586-00-A
(under Trailer Hitch)
For the Model Y, no similar part is listed in the parts catalog under Trailer Hitch.
I tried looking at the Tekonsha website for a brake controller for the Model Y and one suggestion it came up with is a universal controller, the Prodigy P2, but you'd need to splice the wires from the controller in because Tekonsha doesn't have an adapter cable compatible with the Model Y's 4-pin plug (that I've been able to find).

I think the Model Y's hitch must still be too new. Tesla documentation, and brake controller vendor's solutions have some catching up to do!

As I recall with the Model X the pigtail came already plugged in to the connector in the car. So you will have to check to see if it is already there.
Good point.
I've been wondering if that is where it could be, but haven't wanted to pull the interior apart unless I knew for sure it was in there.
I think I'm about ready to give it a look...

Any update here? My P3 just came in, and some quick looking behind the MY’s left footwell trim/carpet didn’t reveal anything obvious. I did get my SC to give me an X pigtail just in case, but I need to find the darn connector first lol!

Don't know if the Y configuration is different, but the pigtail for both of our X's came in the package that holds the separate receiver that gets installed when you need it. I had to splice the connector that came with my Teknosha brake controller to the pigtail. Then the connector part of the pigtail plugs into a socket under the driver's side foot well when the cover is pulled loose. I mounted the bracket for the controller using some existing holes I found there. I only install the controller when I need it (shared with my old Yukon XL for big towing). You can't even see the empty bracket normally.

That being said, maybe Tesla changed the plug to something more standard for the Y (although I wouldn't count on it).

• Informative
Reactions: fly4fun
For anyone planning on using a Saris bike rack on their tow, the wiring plug is in the way to use the lock on it, so that that is a bummer. Tesla just put that darn connector in the wrong place, even my 4 pin adapter i have from my truck can't fit.

Update: I recently purchased on Craigslist an unused Tesla trailer hitch adapter (the heavy cast-iron L-shaped thing that plugs in through the opening at the bottom of the rear bumper) for a Model X (that already had the trailer hitch support piece attached). The adapter came in its Tesla padded, zippered nylon case with its two keys, but no wiring harness pigtail. I took a chance that Tesla Service could supply one, and it did.

For an unrelated recent mobile service appointment I asked beforehand whether the mobile tech person could bring out a pigtail that I could buy. I gave them the part number via the Tesla App. No problem. It was $4.40 + tax. Or I could have picked one up in person at the SC. I hear that some SCs will just give you one, if you ask. These pigtails are apparently used when a (heavy) trailer with braking is used. I assume Model Y uses the same or similar parts.

Reviving this thread...anyone know of a universal part for this pigtail part? (ASY,HARN,TRAILER BRAKE ECU ADAPTER
1072586-00-A)
I've tried getting it from my dealer and they can't seem to get it ordered in time for me. Planned camping trip is nearing and I need to figure out another option if I can't get this through Tesla. I tried ebay already but the shipping times there don't work out for me.