Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Brake Controller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just watched and it is a very good video with explanation.

Below is, I think, the part that is needed. I will be contacting my local Tesla location to order.

Tesla X Part.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-26_20-46-33.png
    upload_2020-8-26_20-46-33.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 589
  • upload_2020-8-26_20-46-43.png
    upload_2020-8-26_20-46-43.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 265
Reactions: velocty
Thanks for the info - I've ordered the connector and will be ordering the same controller.

What trailer are you towing (weight / style) and what W/mile are you seeing with it? Our concern is that the range will be quite low and we will need to charge too frequently.

Sad that when I asked my local Tesla parts to order it, they are stating they cannot because it is for the X and not the Y. Ridiculous.

That's absurd...They include it with the X..It's an oversight with the Y. Otherwise, why put a plug there that needs a custom pigtail, not available anywhere else, when the only other option is to cut the plug off the Y and wire it directly.

That's absurd...They include it with the X..It's an oversight with the Y. Otherwise, why put a plug there that needs a custom pigtail, not available anywhere else, when the only other option is to cut the plug off the Y and wire it directly.
From my reading in the Owner's Manual:

Follow these steps to connect a brake controller:
1. Connect the wiring on the brake controller to the appropriate locations on the 4-pin pigtail connector included with your vehicle.

What's unclear to me is whether it's the actual pigtail that is supposed to be included (which would make the most sense!) or just the white connector on the side under the dash that the pigtail connects to.

I've asked my SA to order the pigtail cable and have it there when I pick up the MY on the 10th. I will submit that since I ordered the tow package installed, the cable should be included at no charge which is the case with the MX tow package. I will update this goes as well as the whole delivery goes with my 384xx VIN.

Sad that when I asked my local Tesla parts to order it, they are stating they cannot because it is for the X and not the Y. Ridiculous.

Wow, I said that was absurd and now I've come to find out it's not on my waiting list of tow hitch parts on backorder. I called my SA and was told that he ran into same brick wall of there being no such part for the Y and can't order an X part for a Y. Told him I'd be glad to pay for it and he's going to work on it Tesla Corporate really needs to get their act together on this nuisance stuff.

Not having it run through the Tesla wiring plug would probably cause problems with the tow mode software. It also adds a lot more work and cost just to avoid having to deal with Tesla to get the pigtail plug in.

It will run through the Tesla wiring plug. When I use it, my Volvo car detect the trailer. You will not have to skin any Tesla cable. It's more expensive but much less trouble!

I just finished the installation of my Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller on my new Model Y.

I wasn't able to find any tips specific to the Model Y in the forums, so I created a simple sharable YouTube video of my experience. Hint: You'll need a part from the Model X parts catalog!

Hopefully it can help others, and spur some discussion!

Thank you for making this video. It is incredibly helpful. I have an ultralight trailer (1500 lbs dry weight) that I want to tow and I'm trying to sort through the brake controller installation and the appropriate tow hitch. I have a lot of experience towing with a 6 cyl Ford Escape but the Y is my baby!

I bought a Curt Echo brake controller that required no installation whatsoever. It was plug and play on my Model Y and uses the accelerometer in your smartphone and the touchscreen to manually activate the brakes. The unit plugs between your 7 pin socket and trailer cable. There is a pairing process and worked perfect once configured. Profiles can be created for different tow vehicles and trailers.

I bought a Curt Echo brake controller that required no installation whatsoever. It was plug and play on my Model Y and uses the accelerometer in your smartphone and the touchscreen to manually activate the brakes. The unit plugs between your 7 pin socket and trailer cable. There is a pairing process and worked perfect once configured. Profiles can be created for different tow vehicles and trailers.
That is an interesting product. Echo: A Wireless Brake Controller for Your Smartphone

Can you post a photo showing how it looks when it is plugged into the 7-pin connector next to the hitch receiver and how the trailer electrical cable is oriented when plugged into it?

I watched the product video but it didn’t mention any requirements for mounting your phone in the cab. Since it uses the phone accelerometer I assume that means the phone has to be secured, it can’t be loose in the vehicle or in your pocket, right?

The Littleton, CO SC has consistently refused to order me the brake controller pigtail for the Model Y, starting from the day I took delivery of the car on June 30th. Per them, there is no such part for the Model Y, despite what it says in the Owner's Manual. They've not said the Owner's Manual is wrong, just that the part describing the pigtail being included with the vehicle is "badly worded". I'm not giving up though. I've given them the part number for the Model X pigtail and they are looking into if it is possible to get one for me. I gather that maybe they can't order the Model X part for me if they wanted to because their parts ordering system won't give them an option to do it. I see in the Tesla Parts catalog that the Model X pigtail is an "over the counter" item. Doesn't this mean anyone should be able to get one ordered, not just Model X owners?