Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y build quality and common problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my order in July and my delivery estimate is between late Oct and early Nov. My paranoia about build quality and reliability issues has unfortunately gotten worse over time. So I thought I would check the pulse from owners who got their delivery over the past year? I am hoping quality has improved a lot over the recent months.

What problems have you had since delivery? Include both minor and major issues, note the number of visits it took to fix it (service center or mobile visit)

I placed my order in July and my delivery estimate is between late Oct and early Nov. My paranoia about build quality and reliability issues has unfortunately gotten worse over time. So I thought I would check the pulse from owners who got their delivery over the past year? I am hoping quality has improved a lot over the recent months.

What problems have you had since delivery? Include both minor and major issues, note the number of visits it took to fix it (service center or mobile visit)
I picked up my MYLR in mid-June. No issues with gaps or paint. No paint chips after 2500 miles. No electrical or mechanical problems. Knock on wood, except for the known problem with opening the car manual which freezes the screen, everything is good so far. I cannot comment on service centers because I have not used one yet.

Reactions: Ormond

We picked up our white/white MYLR on Sep 25 and have 1598 miles on it already. No issues at all. Paint and gaps were fine. In fact, the paint is beautiful. Love the car!

I did put OEM mud flaps on it. That took about 3 minutes.

Reactions: Ormond
I had a few issues at delivery (seat back tear, rear spoiler peeling back, and missing fasteners under rear of car), all of which were fixed via mobile service within a couple weeks of delivery.
I also had my roof rack, homelink, and mudflaps installed via mobile service.
Two weeks ago after some heavy rain, I noticed condensation under my right side marker light. That was replaced via mobile service this week.

I love the mobile service and have nothing but positive things to say about it. It's one of my favorite things about Tesla's business model.

I have no experience with the actual SC other than a couple phone calls where they were very helpful and courteous.

Something that I think is important to understand about the Tesla experience is the continuous improvement "beta" culture of it. I love that aspect of ownership and knew about it before I purchased. My expectations were well managed.

My wife on the other hand, rolls her eyes every time I notice something's been updated OTA. She tells her friends she won't drive it because it "takes a PHD" to know how. It's not for everyone.

Took delivery of my SR MY late February. Had a scratched rim and discolored fender garnish (both replaced in 1 visit). Also had a small paint chip in the bottom of the driver door (didn't realize it was a paint chip when I took delivery). This took the body shop a week to fix. In the past few months I noticed the hood was slightly out of alignment. That was resolved in a 15 minute service appointment. I currently have 8,435 miles on it and couldn't be happier.

Reactions: Jbapckfan
I had a few issues at delivery (seat back tear, rear spoiler peeling back, and missing fasteners under rear of car), all of which were fixed via mobile service within a couple weeks of delivery.
I also had my roof rack, homelink, and mudflaps installed via mobile service.
Two weeks ago after some heavy rain, I noticed condensation under my right side marker light. That was replaced via mobile service this week.

I love the mobile service and have nothing but positive things to say about it. It's one of my favorite things about Tesla's business model.

I have no experience with the actual SC other than a couple phone calls where they were very helpful and courteous.

Something that I think is important to understand about the Tesla experience is the continuous improvement "beta" culture of it. I love that aspect of ownership and knew about it before I purchased. My expectations were well managed.

My wife on the other hand, rolls her eyes every time I notice something's been updated OTA. She tells her friends she won't drive it because it "takes a PHD" to know how. It's not for everyone.
Wow, didn’t know mobile service would do homelink. Will they also install the tow hitch?

Reactions: maffewC
Wow, didn’t know mobile service would do homelink. Will they also install the tow hitch?
Yep. The website states: "...Once you have completed checkout for this item, please schedule a Service appointment for installation in your Tesla app. Shipping to your preferred Tesla Service Center and installation are included with purchase."

The Homelink kit had an orange sticker on the box stating "do not open" if you want them to install it.

Yep. The website states: "...Once you have completed checkout for this item, please schedule a Service appointment for installation in your Tesla app. Shipping to your preferred Tesla Service Center and installation are included with purchase."

The Homelink kit had an orange sticker on the box stating "do not open" if you want them to install it.
Funny, I remember reading that exactly and interpreted as a service appointment at Tesla since it didn’t explicitly state “mobile service”. Thank you.

Picked up a MYLR 10!days ago. Terrible panel gaps issue. This was my third att at the MY delivery in a year, and all three had terrible workmanship. The diet one had 15 defects that I found in 10 minutes. Tesla refused to fix 13 out of 15. I refused the delivery. The second one has paint and panel gap issues, so I reduced the delivery. The third one panel gaps issues. I decided to buy it because I got it for $7,000 below sticker (since my reservation is 18 months old). I can flip it tomorrow and make $15,000 easily.
How did you get a car for for 7000 below sticker? Didn’t know Tesla did that

Picked up a MYLR 10!days ago. Terrible panel gaps issue. This was my third att at the MY delivery in a year, and all three had terrible workmanship. The diet one had 15 defects that I found in 10 minutes. Tesla refused to fix 13 out of 15. I refused the delivery. The second one has paint and panel gap issues, so I reduced the delivery. The third one panel gaps issues. I decided to buy it because I got it for $7,000 below sticker (since my reservation is 18 months old). I can flip it tomorrow and make $15,000 easily.
So the panel gap issues are not that bad after all if you expect to easily make $15k on it. ;)

all of them have panel gaps issues. Doesn’t affect t he price.
When Tesla became famous for panel gaps, I checked the gaps and panel consistency on my other cars... also, my other car had to be repainted ... twice ... under recall. It's not that the problem of quality does not exist, but it's not limited to Tesla

Took delivery of Red/white MY on 11/03/21 in Bay Area...could find absolutely nothing wrong with fit & finish, ext & int..ready to buy a 2nd but am not going to right now because I won’t wait till June ‘22 for delivery..maybe lead time will improve after New Years.

Reactions: MrJeep997
I was also paranoid looking at all the stuff online but after a thorough inspection and going on 5 days with it I am amazed that it was pretty much perfect: the passenger A pillar where it meets the hood is off by maybe 1-2mm and the same location door speaker is every so slightly misaligned. Neither of which an average person would notice.

Reactions: YNOT3 and Ormond
Just want to chime in here since I picked up a MYP this week, on behalf of a friend. To my surprise, the thing was perfect. Panels seemed like they were aligned by alien robots, and there were zero issues with the car after a thorough inspection and long drive. When I expressed my surprise, the Tesla employee who's been running delivery for years mentioned to me, 'We've been making millions of cars, and we've learned a thing or two.' I couldn't agree more .. as much as I can criticize some of their past issues on other cars I've owned, Fremont is cranking out very high quality MY's at this point.

Reactions: BitJam and alexgr